Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOUD clunking noise coming from stall convertor area....

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOUD clunking noise coming from stall convertor area....

Guys,

Ran into a serious problem yesterday....put my truck into reverse only to hear a really bad clunk noise....so I rolled down the driveway and when I put it into Drive got the same noise...but it went into gear after some more clunking. Went up the street to turnaround and bring it back home.....truck died.....when I restarted it was clunking even LOUDER!....I barely made it home and into the driveway...mostly coasting. I checked everything quickly on the surface (no leaks, no metal shavings, no smoke, etc...). Last night when I had 20 minutes I checked the flexplate bolts and they were tight to the stall convertor (vig 3000). Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be? I'll have to make the time to drop the tranny and examine closer......but not sure what to look for ....any ideas before I starting tearing things apart?....
Old 10-12-2007, 11:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm, lots to consider when it comes to noises. The key I think is that it dies and seems to have gotten worse in a short time. It is possible that the stator in the converter failed. Also, it is possibe that the pump in the transmission failed, lost an input drum, etc..

You might try to run it with the rear wheels off of the ground in order to determine the source of the noise. Does it do this in park or neutral at all?

Typicall a flexplate will make a rattling type noise, similar to an engine rod knock. Is this a one time loud noise when the transmission is engaged or does it ontinue as you drive?

g
Old 10-12-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gilbert,

It doesn't do it in park or nuetral....only in R or Drive. I do have a mech vacuum mod (transgo 46) t'd into my master break cylinder for line pressure...would bad line pressure cause a valve or pump to grind the tranny's gears?.... I like your idea...going to lift wheels off the ground tonight...
Old 10-12-2007, 11:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, if a unit has low line pressure usually it would lose the soft parts 1st, maybe tear up some bushings as it would lose lubrication as well. If a modulator were to fail or lose a vacuum signal it would "default" to a higher pressure. Ex... High vacuum signal = low pressure, conversely Low vacuum signal = high pressure.

It could easily be that on of the planet gear sets failed as well... sorry but without having the vehicle right here it is difficult to help much. Try not to run it anymore than you have to in order to determine the problem as if it is internal to the transmission running it is only making little pieces out of big pieces... and that's not good!

Keep us up to date.

I'll be at the track tonight until late, but will be in early tomorrow if you would like to call and discuss this problem.

g