Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing new converter, have a couple questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 08:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, sounds good. I guess I won't bother with locking it then. I don't want to ruin this thing two weeks after I got it put in. Now I'll get to see how well Green Light Motorsports street tune is . I wonder what I'll put down...
Old 10-30-2007, 03:23 PM
12 Second Club

Last question before this beast is going to FINALLY get running down the road... Everything is completely ready to go, and the fluid is in and everything. I took the car off of the jacks and ramps so it would be level, and filled it with tranny fluid, and then started it up to check for leaks. Well, everything looks good except for one thing. The rubber o-ring is getting bunched up around the dipstick tube so that it doesn't go in all the way and then it leaks... I am excited to drive this thing too. I backed it up onto the ramps for the back tires after i saw the leak and it went up to about 1500rpm just backing up on to them and sounded really good . I can't wait.

(on a side note, it is up on the tube and I was trying to get both in the hole at the same time. I couldn't get the tube high enough to go over the top of the rubber seal while it was already in the hole, so I took it out and just put it around the tube and tried putting them both down in together...)

So one more annoying thing to fix.... Any suggestions on getting it to go in there and seal? A guy my dad works with used to drag race his camaro SS and apparently did some tranny stuff to his too, and suggested pulling the tube up as far as it will go, cutting off the end (only like 1/2" or something probably), pulling the cut off part out, and then putting the seal in first and then putting the tube in. It seems like that would work, and the guy said he's done it a couple different times, but there would be a couple things I would be worried about. First is the cut off part falling down into the pan and having to take it off again and having all of my new fluid go everywhere.... Which would just be a mistake that is avoidable by doing it right. But the other thing is what would actually worry me. Cutting the bottom of it off would obviously cause some small metal shavings, and they would fall down into the pan. Would the filter/magnet take care of those ok and not cause a problem, or would they be a real problem?
Old 10-31-2007, 08:48 AM
12 Second Club

bump for the last question hopefully
Old 10-31-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you definitely have to put the transmission dipstick tube in the transmission first. It always sticks to the tube when you pull it out, but won't go back in. Lube up the inside of the dipstick seal and then the dipstick will slide right into place. You're probably going to have to drop the crossmember to get your hand up there to restart that dipstick bolt on the back of the head.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:09 PM
12 Second Club

I'm confused... haha. By the first part sentence there I'm guessing you mean the little o-ring has to go in first? Not the tube like you said... The problem I'm having here is getting the dipstick seal down into the hole while the end of the dipstick is already in the hole.

Anyone have any thoughts on the cutting off the end of the dipstick idea? My biggest worry would be the shavings going down into the fluid, and I would like to know if the filter and magnet would take care of them or not?

I'm planning on working on it again tonight, so if I could get some pretty quick replies that would be awesome . Thanks.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

Anybody? I'm ready to go out and work on it and would like to know if I can try that.