Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Converter Installations

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
Total shipping weight for my 60e and SS3600 from FLT was about 225, so i would guess close to <200lbs. I dropped mine out by hand, but im a pretty big guy.
Thanks
Im doing my TC right now and I was looking at the bellhousing bolts but can only see 6 of them! How the hell do I get the top 2!?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Thanks
Im doing my TC right now and I was looking at the bellhousing bolts but can only see 6 of them! How the hell do I get the top 2!?
I lower the rear of the trans, and use a few extensions, a swivel, and a shallow socket to get the top bastard. I believe there is only 7 bolts on the auto. 2 on the bottom, 2 on each side (1 above and below each dowel) and the top bastard.. If you wanted to, pulling the intake makes the top bolt easier to reach, although it is a little more work.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a swivel, and a shallow socket will sure work, I suggest you get a wiggle socket( swivet and socket built together as a single unit) ( if it/they swivel too much wrap the swivel with tape to prevent it from moving too much.) I suggest that the 6 point socket works better than a 12 point
just my .02'
Johnny
Old 03-17-2011, 02:11 PM
10 Second Club

Question...Im in the middle of my tc install and Dave at yank recomended using this instead of my junk 01 fp. Part #12602448. I installed it how it looked like closest to the stock one but now im thinking...did I put it on right? Or is there only one way it will fit? I dont have the trans bolted all the way yet.

Name:  IMAG0059-1.jpg
Views: 958
Size:  63.2 KB
Old 03-17-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

It will only fit one way. That GM sticker should be facing you when you have it installed.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:31 PM
10 Second Club

Good save thanks! I dont have the trans bolted up all the way but it looks like I might need a shim. I should have in between 1/8 and 3/16 after trans is bolted and TC pushed in trans all the way correct? And this This measurement would be in between flexplate and coverter mounting area right?

Last edited by senicalj4579; 03-17-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
It will only fit one way. That GM sticker should be facing you when you have it installed.
Just curious what makes it only fit one way? Because it looks like the bolt pattern wouldnt stop anyone from mounting it on the wrong side.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Good save thanks! I dont have the trans bolted up all the way but it looks like I might need a shim. I should have in between 1/8 and 3/16 after trans is bolted and TC pushed in trans all the way correct? And this This measurement would be in between flexplate and coverter mounting area right?
Yes that is correct and you need to have ur bellhousing completely bolted up before putting in the trq converter bolts
Old 03-25-2011, 01:56 AM
On The Tree

Great Thread, Great Info! Thanks to Vince for starting it 3 1/2 years ago.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NovaKid
Great Thread, Great Info! Thanks to Vince for starting it 3 1/2 years ago.
yep, and I'm about to need it.. soo.. BUMP!
Old 04-21-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

....... this install hurt my hands... ALOT lol
Its amazing how 8 bolts can kick your *** like no ones buisness. A flexible retriever is a must to get the socket on the top two bolts. Just did it monday. Cars running pretty good. Feels REALLY different. sounds different too. Im kinda glad i did the 3200 stall cause the higher rev and looser feel is alittle odd to me. I know itss gonna mke the car faster but still feels wierd to me. I guess i gotta get used to it and drive it more. Plus a trip to the track should also convince me
Old 04-26-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump again for a great thread!! Day late and dollar short...
Old 05-07-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If a person had the spacing off, is it indefinite that'd destroy the pump and converter immediately or would it have some odd symptoms and take it's time in destroying the front pump? Anyone ever spaced incorrectly and could tell something wasn't right after driving the vehicle??
Old 05-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by RATBOX
If a person had the spacing off, is it indefinite that'd destroy the pump and converter immediately or would it have some odd symptoms and take it's time in destroying the front pump? Anyone ever spaced incorrectly and could tell something wasn't right after driving the vehicle??
Im going to guess you did not check your spacing when doing it?
Old 05-07-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I installed my new converter under the car and did not hear 3 clicks but did have an inch from the pads to the bell housing. I bolted the tranny to the engine but have not bolted it to the flexplate yet. I have around 3/16 gap. Is there any way I didnt get the converter seated all the way without hearing the 3 clicks?
Old 05-07-2011, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by pyro719
I installed my new converter under the car and did not hear 3 clicks but did have an inch from the pads to the bell housing. I bolted the tranny to the engine but have not bolted it to the flexplate yet. I have around 3/16 gap. Is there any way I didnt get the converter seated all the way without hearing the 3 clicks?
In my experience, if you are 2 outta 3, you will be somewhere around the 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch measurement. If you are 100% that you got at/over 1 full inch from the bell to the feet, you're good.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by RATBOX
Indefinite.... It's important to check so the obvious does not happen and cause damage to your transmissions pump and also the converter. The problem is it might not happen right away or at all but it potentially can happen. More than likely you will not see an issue right away unless you brake the pump or converter hub. Because the spacing is off does not mean your trans will not function correctly. The reason for this thread is so the pump rotor/gear are making the proper amount of contact to be supported safely. I hope this clarifies your question here.

Originally Posted by pyro719
I think you are fine. Knowing that your converter pads to the face of the bell were an inch or more your good. Personally I think the "3 clicks" is not the correct way to know the converter is in. I personally cringe every time I hear that term used. I have probably installed thousands of converters in doing this for 20+ years. Not always will you hear this because it easy to actually have two of the three splines make contact at the same time as you are applying pressure to push the converter into the pump. I hope this makes sense. With 3/16's I would bolt it up. Your good to go providing you have measured the spacing as mentioned previously in this thread. HTH Vince
Old 05-07-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vince B
Indefinite.... It's important to check so the obvious does not happen and cause damage to your transmissions pump and also the converter. The problem is it might not happen right away or at all but it potentially can happen. More than likely you will not see an issue right away unless you brake the pump or converter hub. Because the spacing is off does not mean your trans will not function correctly. The reason for this thread is so the pump rotor/gear are making the proper amount of contact to be supported safely. I hope this clarifies your question here. HTH Vince
Alright. It's having some issues, and I was hoping maybe this might of been it. I was pretty certain I'd measured correctly, but mistakes do happen. Guess I'm still stumped as to what's going on with it in if the measurement isn't wrong.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Restricted User

What is your problem your having?
Old 05-08-2011, 04:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z99ls1
What is your problem your having?
Honestly, it's hard to explain. It's really the oddest I've ever seen an auto tranny act and I don't know that explaining it here would make much sense. Keep in mind, the TH400 trans is completely fresh and the stall is from a verrrry reputable builder and is brand new.
But near as I can tell, it feels like there is a bind in the transmission. The car's a dog if you go beyond 1/4 throttle and the front pump is screaming in 1st gear. Car shifts and drives fine just cruising around, but if you give it 1/2 or more throttle the car acts like it doesn't want to move and if you stay in the throttle in first and shift to second, it accelerates better after you shift to second. But still not as it should. This is probably a shitty description, but it's the best way I can think to explain it.
Now, see it doesn't slip unless you reeeeally hammer the throttle. It literally seems like something is holding the car back. Also, it's nothing with the motor I'm more than certain, it wouldn't act this way anyway even if it did have a problem. Something is definitely sketchy with the th400. But what's odd is that it shifts ok. I dropped the pan, it had some clutch material in it. More than I'd expect to see with 15 miles on it, but far from enough to raise concern. No metal.

Oh, and I checked the spacing tonight while I was at the shop. With my shims in place I used, the gap is exactly an 1/8th of an inch worth of spacer with the converter bolted down to the flywheel. Converter had clicked 3x going on, spun freely and everything seemed as it should. I've had several race purposed auto's over the years and have either had them work right, or not all. So, I'm at a loss on this one. I'm no guru by any stretch of the imagination and will always be learning, but these symptoms don't even make sense to any of the "more trans educated than me" people I've talked to in the last few days.

Quick Reply: Torque Converter Installations