Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.10s and stock converter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.10s and stock converter?

I'm doing a swap right now with an LS1 and the chassis it's going into has a 4.10 rear end from the factory. Eventually I plan on changing the gears to something a little more cruise friendly (wife's daily driver) but that's pretty far down on the list of expendatures (after making it run, drive, etc).

My biggest concern is pushing through the brakes or having to lay into the brake pedal hard to hold it at lights. Not sure if I need to loosen it up to get away with those gears.

I was thinking about a Z06 cam but if I have to get a looser converter anyway I might go slightly larger.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the car is on stock Heads and Cam I see no reason why gears would make the car push through the brakes. Even with a a ZO6 cam I wouldn't think you would need a converter. I mean a converter would be one of my first mods even before gears but thats just me.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:26 PM
Teching In

I'm not denying that a converter isn't the best bang for the buck... but the car has 4.10s. I'm going to change them out for something in the mid-3.xxs when the opportunity presents itself. Mostly just trying to justify a converter to myself. I want one... but the car wont need one to do what I want.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:15 AM
11 Second Club

If anything I would think it would push less.. your engine won't be as loaded from idle to keep the car running.

- I could be completely wrong, just my thoughts.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

others have done 4.10s and a stock converter with no problem. Just remember with a stock cam, your A4 should idle around 600 rpm rather than the 800 rpm of your M6. Fixing the idle will eliminate any push through issues.

A z06 cam will idle fine at 650 to no higher than 700 rpm with a stock converter when tuned.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1Bad00SS
If anything I would think it would push less.. your engine won't be as loaded from idle to keep the car running.

- I could be completely wrong, just my thoughts.
The output of the trans shaft produces as the same torque no matter what the gears are... but the rear end has more mechanical leverage over the brakes and that's where you get into trouble having too tight of a converter.

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
others have done 4.10s and a stock converter with no problem. Just remember with a stock cam, your A4 should idle around 600 rpm rather than the 800 rpm of your M6. Fixing the idle will eliminate any push through issues.

A z06 cam will idle fine at 650 to no higher than 700 rpm with a stock converter when tuned.
Thanks, good info to know. Now it's time to discuss with myself how much cam I think this thing really needs. It's tempting to get a ~3000 stall anyway and just bite the bullet while the engine is out of the car.

It's the baby hauling/*** hauling Bavarian family wagon my wife will be using as a daily. The exhaust note is going to give away what's under the hood anyway... so it's tempting to make it have some lump.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give some thought to how you are really going to drive this. You have the rare opportunity to match the cam, converter, and gears and make a combo that does what you want without compromises.