Sponsored by:

REVIEW: ACE stage-2 4l60e / 9.5" converter package

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default REVIEW: ACE stage-2 4l60e / 9.5" converter package

Story:

About two weeks ago I had the unpleasant experience of destroying my input drum . So I called around to a few different shops and ACE was running a special on their stage-2 package, the price was awesome so I decided to have the car towed over to them. I have been nothing but pleased with the whole experience, I'm refering everyone I know to ACE! If anyone is looking for a top-notch tranny read on...

Customer Service:

The customer service at ACE is absolutely amazing. It was good to know that any time during the buil I could pick up the phone and give Gilbert a call and get an honest, helpful answer. I had inquired about a t56 swap, so Gilbert took the liberty to get on ls1tech and post about my situation, looking for a swap candidate. He set up a couple deals for me but in the end the finances just weren't there for a swap, so Gilbert let the other guys know and got started building my 4l60e right away. He even took me on a tour of the shop and explained the deatailed inner workings of the 4l60e (and how crappy the previous rebuild on my tranny was). The good service didn't end after I picked up the car either. I had previously installed a poly tranny mount but hadn't got the chance to drive the car very much with it. When I picked the car up from ACE I was unhappy with the amount of vibrations, so I took the car back to ACE. Gilbert took me on a quick ride and determined that it was the mount causing all the bad vibes. He sugested that I run down to the auto parts store and get a stock one and he would install it at no charge! Again the customer service at ACE is second to none.

Product:

Wow! My car feels like a totaly different animal now. The vaccuum modulation conversion took care of the extremely hard part-throttle shifts I was getting before. Cruising around town you can barely even feel the tranny shifting, but at WOT the shifts are firm and positive. I went with their 9.5" 3500 stall converter and am very pleased with it as well. After seeing all of the quality parts that go into one of these units I have so much more confidence when I "put the hammer down" now.

So, if your needing a new tranny don't hesitate to give Gilbert a call. You won't be disapointed! (and no he didn't pay me to do this )
Old 12-13-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha..nice to hear!! thats the reason why im gonna make that trip up to ACE and let him take care of my tranny. keep up the good work gilbert!!
Old 12-13-2007, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

I have been talking to Gilbert via pm about the stgII in my car too. I will be paying him a visit very soon. Thanks for the helpful information.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rjc1629
The vaccuum modulation conversion took care of the extremely hard part-throttle shifts I was getting before. Cruising around town you can barely even feel the tranny shifting, but at WOT the shifts are firm and positive.
What set up did you have before that had the banging part throttle shifts?
Old 12-13-2007, 07:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Ryan might not be able to speak to that question as he only owned the car a few months before he brought it to us. But, then again he might!

His unit was essentially stock with a few mods.. it appeared to have an entry level Shift Kit and a 2500 ish stalling converter. Basically a "maxed out" stock coverter.

If I did not know better, I would say it had the EPC screw mod as well. Whereby somebody had previously changed the EPC Solenoid adjusting screw setting to bring Line Pressure up overall.

I'll ask John about it in the a.m., he would remember the details of the previous build better than I would.

g

BTW... Glad we were able to meet your expectations Ryan! And we are looking forward to helping all of the guys we have setup in our pipeline for next year! Looks like a busy Winter shaping up for us. Thanks for all the kind words guys.

g
Old 12-13-2007, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Like Gilbert said it had a "shift kit" installed when it was rebuilt and then I had the line pressure increased with my tune (not recomended).
Old 12-14-2007, 08:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

That's a double whammy. Cranking the line pressure and putting in a shift kit. No wonder you needed a visit to the tranny man.

Your experience is a pretty good lesson for anyone just getting into modding. Frequently, if you mess with stock line pressure programming and put in a shift kit, which was designed to work with stock programming, problems will develop.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a very good point.

If one were to take a look at how many different components are in the aftermarket world that have been designed to modify Line Pressure then the importance of it would be quite apparent. There are several different Boost Valves, pump slide springs, pressure regulator valve springs and so on....

The key is matching those components to the build in each and every application. That's one of the things we do best here at ACE.

Ryan mentioned the fact that the shifts feel soft at part throttle. One of the biggest reasons for this is the Torque Converter itself. It "absorbs" the shift at part throttle. That is not to say that they are harsh to begin with, but I wanted to bring that to light. The secret to making one of these units survive in the harshest environments is in the Line Pressure mods, the Accumulation mods, the way we "massage" the hydraulics overall and the way we set up the clutch packs.

We are proud of our units and know that our customers are getting a world class unit each and every time one goes out the door.

g