Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my stall blown?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 10:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my stall blown?

I figured i just blew out my built tranny a couple months ago and finally got it out....and when i went to tip the Stall upside down to drain it the parts inside slide back and forth....I cant see em i can just feel em...

If so u think it would have blown out my tranny too? There is absolutely no fluid pressure unless revved up and even then its only enough to make the back wheels turn a little when up on jackstands
Old 12-24-2007, 10:58 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The parts inside the stall will move around when you dont have converter on pump stator, But to really determine wether the converter is ok you would have to fist figure out whats wrong with the trans, What failed? To make that determination.So first things first find out what happened to the trans and inspect the fluild coming out of the converter to see if theres anything in there or not,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-25-2007, 09:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by performabuilt
The parts inside the stall will move around when you dont have converter on pump stator, But to really determine wether the converter is ok you would have to fist figure out whats wrong with the trans, What failed? To make that determination.So first things first find out what happened to the trans and inspect the fluild coming out of the converter to see if theres anything in there or not,
I disagree.

The only way to know what is going on inside a Torque Converter is to cut it open. Anything else is just guessing. There is no room for failure here. If a converter is compromised and it is installed onto a good working or new unit, then the combination is being set up for failure.

I have converters cut open just to find out the exact question the OP has... every day! A reputable shop will not charge to cut one open, clean it up and give you an estimate. If they do, then you need another converter shop.

g
Old 12-25-2007, 10:10 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

My intent was that if the converter is relativley new and everythings been working fine and for instance a sprag rolled over, Etc and its a clean failure. Then there would be little point to sending the converter somewhere to have it cut. Its just a matter of making the determination its needed or not. Everyone does not have a converter shop right there like we do who can just cut one open real quick and look.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-25-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

i agree with gilbert because- how many times do you really want to pull that trans??????? i know if its me, i would like to get it done right the first time, not the second or third have that converter checked & have peace of mind but what do i know we just pulled out the same sponsors built tranny for the 3rd time & now have it getting fixed at another sponsors shop. good luck in your new build & happy holidays to all, my 0.2
Old 12-30-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stang-Slayer
I figured i just blew out my built tranny a couple months ago and finally got it out....and when i went to tip the Stall upside down to drain it the parts inside slide back and forth....I cant see em i can just feel em...

If so u think it would have blown out my tranny too? There is absolutely no fluid pressure unless revved up and even then its only enough to make the back wheels turn a little when up on jackstands
well what did you find out????????
Old 12-30-2007, 10:07 PM
12 Second Club

Well I still dont know....The tranny is out of the car and under warantee by a bad *** tranny builder in NC....the only problem is i gotta send it back to him....Itll be a little while i guess....He said he would take a look at the Converter for me too....THe converter was not new with the tranny.....It was bought new and ive put about 10k on it so far....No hard launches so far on my part....

Everything inside slides around allot though when u move it from side to side......I dont remember anything in it moving at all....especially not as much as it does now.....

U can feel its not a bunch of little pieces moving its big solid parts but they sure as hell move around pretty good
Old 12-31-2007, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah my pt4000 moved on the inside & so did my vig!
Old 12-31-2007, 12:24 AM
12 Second Club

yea mines a vig 3500.....damn i dont remember it moving that much though lol
Old 12-31-2007, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes they move around alot inside, what was your original problem
Old 12-31-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

My SS3800 moved around a lot too. I hope it turns out to be nothing though. Good luck.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:59 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BubaGumpShrimp
yes they move around alot inside, what was your original problem
Well I have no Trans fluid pressure....Im sure its the tranny pump though....Well im hoping its just that
Old 02-11-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

well what ever happened??
Old 02-11-2008, 11:05 PM
12 Second Club

haha.....Nothing yet.....I drained the tranny and got it in a box ready to ship....just waiting to get some money to do it lol....Ill let u know when i find out man
Old 02-12-2008, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

cool, good luck!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My view is if you have ANY sort of trans failure I would never put that converter back in the car untill its checked out