Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any advantage doing a shift kit without a stall?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any advantage doing a shift kit without a stall?

I wanted to put a shift kit on, just to firm up the shifts and what not, but I don't really want to shell out the money for a stall. Is there any real advantage of just doing the shift kit alone, or are kit and stall complimentary mods?
Old 01-11-2008, 10:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

A shift kit while it wont make you car faster , If the trans is in good condition can exstend its life as long as you dont get carried away with the shift firmness.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-11-2008, 08:59 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

With the stock torque converter leave out the spacers for the 2nd accumulator. Use the separator plate hole sizes suggested. "DO NOT" grind on the manual valve, as this "fix" was addressed by GM in 1996. With the 428 accumulator housing, follow the instructions, with the 937 housing, install the blue spring first, then the retainer, piston, then the orange spring. If you follow the instructions with the 937 housing, you will bend the retainer. This kit will speed up the shifts without making them too firm.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What Dana (PBA) is speaking to are some detailed mods that could easily be applied to your unit without being too awfully invasive. You are looking for a Trans Go Shift kit.

This kit will speed up the shifts without making them too firm.
This is a very important statement. The goal is not to make the unit shift harder. You are wanting to manipulte the hydraulics in such a manner that the unit will accomplish a shift in less time than it took previous to the mods. That itself can and will impart a different feel. The reason you want to make it accomplish a shift quicker is because it will help the clutches and band last significantly longer. The kit will not make the unit one bit stronger nor will it add power.

The reason you do not want hard shifts is that these are abusive to transmissions. An all out race car unit can handle those hits because it is expected that those units will come out and be freshend up after 150 passes or so. A street car unit usually comes out after it has failed. So you don't want to create hard shifts unless you want to be pulling it out a couple of times a year.

Hope that helps.

g
Old 01-11-2008, 10:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NYTHAWK
I wanted to put a shift kit on, just to firm up the shifts and what not, but I don't really want to shell out the money for a stall. Is there any real advantage of just doing the shift kit alone, or are kit and stall complimentary mods?
Personally, I would install a shiftkit w/a high stall converter at the same time. A shiftkit alone would also be a good thing for the trans. If you're adding a stall, it would also be a good idea to install a trans cooler.