Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilt 4L60E Price too low??

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt 4L60E Price too low??

I went to a local transmission shop for a price to rebuild my 4L60E, and the price with the transmission and converter was $750.00!!!!! That includes more heavy duty parts than stock ones, and a 1year written unlimited mileage warranty. What do you guys think good deal or not?
Old 01-16-2008, 11:29 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Its hard to say without knowing what the "heavy duty parts" are but that sounds low I mean for a stock bench build with a converter that about right but I dont see how they could be putting many upgraded parts in and still make money too IMO

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-16-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I feel the same way. But he is giving it a 1 year warranty, so he must have some faith in it.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well not knowing anything about your car bear in mind that a properly built stock 4l60e with a mild shift kit will generally live fine in a street driven car in the 350 hp range. So he may be taking a gamble its hard to say, I would talk to him find out what hes going to do and make sure theres no abuse clause in his warranty, They go with what feels right. I know many shops give a warranty but have many many "if and or butts" in them.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-16-2008, 11:44 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds low especially including the converter, does that include pulling and installing it, or do you have to take it to them?

I know a GREAT tranny builder in my area that will do $800 without a converter and only if you bring him just the tranny, it's $1000 for him to pull it and install it along with the build. He's the lowest I've ever heard that actually builds them with quality parts. Be afraid, check around to see if any racers use him. Local racers usually know the best place for the best price, as well as who to stay away from.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 01-16-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I hear ya, my car is very mild olny around 310hp. I just don't know if it is worth the time to risk a crappy rebuild.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
Sounds low especially including the converter, does that include pulling and installing it, or do you have to take it to them?

I know a GREAT tranny builder in my area that will do $800 without a converter and only if you bring him just the tranny, it's $1000 for him to pull it and install it along with the build. He's the lowest I've ever heard that actually builds them with quality parts. Be afraid, check around to see if any racers use him. Local racers usually know the best place for the best price, as well as who to stay away from.
No, that does not include taking it out and installing it. Yeah it really sounds to go to be true that i will get a quality rebuild at that price.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:55 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

It's possible, don't let us steer you away from a possible good deal. Just check around and see what kind of reputation he has first.

My $800 build (without converter) has taken launching on the spray and spraying through the shifts for two seasons at the track (I'm not recommending that though ) so that means there are good deals out there. Just ask around about him before you make a decision either way.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 01-16-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's possible, don't let us steer you away from a possible good deal. Just check around and see what kind of reputation he has first.

My $800 build (without converter) has taken launching on the spray and spraying through the shifts for two seasons at the track (I'm not recommending that though ) so that means there are good deals out there. Just ask around about him before you make a decision either way.
I pass the shop on my way to work so i stopped in today, because no one i know knew anything about the quality of the work they do, so i really can't seem to get any feedback from anyone.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:45 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get a high energy friction clutch set and gaskets/seals for $90, Transgo kit $80, beast sunshell $44, $105 for a converter unless he does them himself, $8 for a good filter and $10 for a good band.
Thats $337 for a trans that would work unless it had a major failure.
He could probably drill a few holes and limit accumulator travel for firm shifts and skip the $80 transgo kit, skip the sunshell. Thats $213 in parts.
What town is this shop located? I'm from florida.

Thats a bottom line trans out the door, not saying it's the thing to do, but people will do anything for a few extra dollars these days. This guy is basically relying on luck that the electrical parts are ok. And to a lot of people firm shifts=performance upgrade, even if he drilled a few holes and plugged a few passages to get that feel.

Last edited by jxaxsxoxn; 01-16-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:04 PM
FormerVendor

Yep, that seem low to me for even a stock bench job. He's rolling the dice on this one IMHO.

I'll post a pic of an Accumulator housing we dug out of a "Very Well Built" unit just this morning. Then you can judge for yourself... some builders take many shortcuts. And it is because of the shortcuts that this unit is on my bench today. Instead of buying the parts to do it right, the previous builder simply plugged the feed hole with a check ball.

Plain and simple... you get what you pay for. But, the key is your expectations! If you know that you probably should not expect much out of this build you are considering then I say go for it! But, on the other hand, if you are expecting a very nice custom built transmission, beware.

Hope that helps and Good Luck!

g
Old 01-16-2008, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Random thought, you should get on a local muscle car forum. I did that around my area and was introduced to some very interesting characters. Most of all though I could get some insight as to local shops and their practices.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Banned

Since this is a carry the trans in rebuild, if I had the money and the time I'd get a complete decription of what goes into the trans. Have it done. Pick it up, pay for it, set it on my truck bed and disassemble it right on the spot. Thats interesting.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jxaxsxoxn
Since this is a carry the trans in rebuild, if I had the money and the time I'd get a complete decription of what goes into the trans. Have it done. Pick it up, pay for it, set it on my truck bed and disassemble it right on the spot. Thats interesting.
I am going to see if he will give me a list of everything he is going to replace and with what brand name parts he will be using. O yeah he also said that for $200 more he will take it out of the car and put it back in including fluid. I know it sounds like a good deal $750 that includes the converter.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:26 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To do it right, which consists of putting in the right planetaries, we charge around $2000.00. If you just need a quick refresh, it would be $550 plus parts.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

that just sounds too cheap to me. I know of a local shop that does these on a regular basis and 1900 is the cheapest I have seen. that price includes install and stall. he will also put a warrenty on the tranmission.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:40 AM
12 Second Club

WHy u trying to get people to break their ****?....lol

I used the same tranny guy as he did and he builds some good quality stuff man and for cheap like he said.....Maybe he gives us good prices and rapes other people but I aint complaining, cause his trannys perform very well.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Banned

Where are you at in Florida? I know a few shops who do decent work for cheap.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jxaxsxoxn
Where are you at in Florida? I know a few shops who do decent work for cheap.
Gainsville/Ocala area.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spent more than that on hardparts including a used 3600 vig.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt 4L60E Price too low??