Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built 4L60E stage 3 tranny Makes car jerk around???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Built 4L60E stage 3 tranny Makes car jerk around???

I have had the Built stage 3 4L60E tranny in my car for years without a problem until last year. Once the trans warms up the tranny seems to lock and unlock causing the car to jerk back and forth while stopped or coming to a stop. I have talked to several people and the convertor is ruled out. The car drives normal, shift etc under full throttle like it should without a single slip up.

I was told that this could be caused by the lock up solenoid in the trans?? I was also told that this would only cost me a new solenoid ($150) trans filter,fluid and gasket. I can also replace this myself since its located on the bottom of the inside of the trans??

Any help would be appreciated. Mike
Old 01-28-2008, 06:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Its work a shot I am not real clear on the jerk around description. Are you getting any SES lights?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-28-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Its work a shot I am not real clear on the jerk around description. Are you getting any SES lights?
No lights, the car will act and drive normal until the trans starts to warm up. Once that happens the car will actually jump forward then stop then jump forward again and stop. It basically almost feels like if you were to hit the gas and then slam on the breaks making the passengers in the car move forward and back. Could this be casued from a bad convertor? That was my first thought.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

who built the trans?
Old 01-28-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

DR.Evil (roadmaster transmissions in Schaumburg. Speed Inc was using them when I bought mine.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Roadmaster transmissions thats Bill Anthony I do beleave if the the roadmaster trans I am thinking of, Hoestly though thats a strange symptom are you sure the idle isnt actually jumping with it, I mean its possible theres also some electrical issue causing the converter to lock and unlock but I am afraid nothing specific comes to mind, I would suggest you take it by a regular garage or even a trans shop and ask them to drive it and see what there opinion is , I just have never heard of that,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-28-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

The idle does jump up, Maybe it isnt the trans, that was the first thing that came to mind since I have had nothing but trans problems in the past. This tranny has been fine for over 4 years without a single problem. Could voltage be a problem causing this? This just started happening after the car sat for a few weeks, then out of now where this started. Maybe its the tune in the car, its similar to when a car will surge after a cam swap and the cars untuned.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yes that sounds more like and engine runing issue if the idle jumps so will the car, and low voltage can cause many strange things

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-29-2008, 06:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually your issue sounds more like something that can be remedied with tuning. Seeing that you have a level 3 tranny you must atleast have a decent cam in your car and what I would expect a decent size stall. What size is the stall anyways?

keeping it simple, a car with a lumpy/low vac cam and a lockup converter can cause the car to jerk or get stuck trying to lock/unlock. Let me guess if you ever so slightly tap the brakes it smooths right out, right? It sounds like your lockup is occuring too soon. Try adjusting your lockup table to a higher mph.

Give us more specs on your car, and we can give you a ball park.

For example my H/C car w/ 3.42's locks up at about 57mph in D, and 42 in 3. I could go a bit lower but this works for me. If I locked it closer to stock, it would buck and shudder when it tried to lock at cruising speeds.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:46 AM
11 Second Club

By the way once the tranny warms up that's when the lockup can be enganged. I guarentee it's a tuning lockup issue.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:22 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 346
The idle does jump up, Maybe it isnt the trans, that was the first thing that came to mind since I have had nothing but trans problems in the past. This tranny has been fine for over 4 years without a single problem. Could voltage be a problem causing this? This just started happening after the car sat for a few weeks, then out of now where this started. Maybe its the tune in the car, its similar to when a car will surge after a cam swap and the cars untuned.
It sounds like a driveability issue. If you feel that it is in the trans I would suggest dropping the pan and look for debris. I have seen sticky valves in the pump or even a broken spring cause this. Just a heads up there is a very good chance that I built that trans back in the day. Sounds like it has lived a good life up until now. Just a heads up I do offer a refresh special for any unit that I have ever build. Feel free to give me a call to discuss your situation. Vince
Old 01-29-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Actually your issue sounds more like something that can be remedied with tuning. Seeing that you have a level 3 tranny you must atleast have a decent cam in your car and what I would expect a decent size stall. What size is the stall anyways?

keeping it simple, a car with a lumpy/low vac cam and a lockup converter can cause the car to jerk or get stuck trying to lock/unlock. Let me guess if you ever so slightly tap the brakes it smooths right out, right? It sounds like your lockup is occuring too soon. Try adjusting your lockup table to a higher mph.

Give us more specs on your car, and we can give you a ball park.

For example my H/C car w/ 3.42's locks up at about 57mph in D, and 42 in 3. I could go a bit lower but this works for me. If I locked it closer to stock, it would buck and shudder when it tried to lock at cruising speeds.
The camshaft isnt too big, its a 222/222 563/563 with a 112 LCA. The stall is a TCI 3800. I have never tried to gently tap the breaks as the car usually jumps on me while im stopped or coming to a stop, that causes me to slam on them for fear or rear ending someone in front of me. Once I do hit the breaks it stops, the car surges and somtimes wants to die unless I hit the gas in nuetral.

The car has needed a tune since I added custom hard piping, more boost (10PSI) LS6 intake manifold,BBK throttle body. The only other mods I have is a P1sc witht he dual intercoolers, the cam, the larger fuel system. The rear end is still stock with the 342's and all. The car has been fine for the past year without problems just until recently. This could just come up now after a year with the tune?
Old 01-29-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
It sounds like a driveability issue. If you feel that it is in the trans I would suggest dropping the pan and look for debris. I have seen sticky valves in the pump or even a broken spring cause this. Just a heads up there is a very good chance that I built that trans back in the day. Sounds like it has lived a good life up until now. Just a heads up I do offer a refresh special for any unit that I have ever build. Feel free to give me a call to discuss your situation. Vince
I did drop the pan thinking it was the trans and maybe new fluid filter would help. Before I dropped the pan, this problem didnt happen. Only until after I dropped it did the problem occur. Once I did drop the pan, I found alot of metal shavings covering the magnet and at the bottom of the pan. You couldnt even see the magnet anymore there were so many. Will do thanks.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:41 PM
11 Second Club

Ok I see what your saying now. Since it only happens when the car warms up it still might be a sticking TCC valve, but based on it being fine before it's probably not tuning. If it's not that than it's something when you hit closed loop. Check the basics, dirty or broken MAF, is the TB epoxied? Maybe the IAC counts are way off.

If you think it's not tranny related try swapping a MAF if you are running one. But, it sounds like based on all the metal in the case it might be something mechanical in the tranny. Good luck.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Ok I see what your saying now. Since it only happens when the car warms up it still might be a sticking TCC valve, but based on it being fine before it's probably not tuning. If it's not that than it's something when you hit closed loop. Check the basics, dirty or broken MAF, is the TB epoxied? Maybe the IAC counts are way off.

If you think it's not tranny related try swapping a MAF if you are running one. But, it sounds like based on all the metal in the case it might be something mechanical in the tranny. Good luck.

I just got off the phoe with Vince at FLT,explained to him what is going on. Basically it sounds like the convertor is falling apart and the pump in the trans is picking everything up causing the trans to slowly fail. The trans will go to him once spring hits. Thanks for all the help guys.

Quick Reply: Built 4L60E stage 3 tranny Makes car jerk around???