Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TH400 questions

OK, I've started on swapping my t-56 over to a TH400 and I am completely new to the auto world. Just wondering which tranny coolers work well with f-body's. I'm guessing one that will fit in front of the a/c condensor. Which ones do you guys recommend that's at a reasonable price? I got everything else ordered except that because someone told me that I could just get one from the local Autozone, but I didn't know if that was a good thing.

Also, do I just leave all the sensor plugs from my wiring harness unplugged? I guess just tape them up somewhere? I have HP Tuners and was wondering what type of things I might need to change after the install.

I'm gonna be using the BMR crossmember w/ relocated torque arm mount. It has holes to move the front of the torque arm up and down. Should I start off with it all the way up, or all the way down. It would be nice to get it right the first time cause I'm lazy, lol.

OK, I guess that's all I have for now. I'm sure I'll think of more questions later, lol. If you got any other helpful tips feel free to throw them out there too. I'm gonna go and try to get the flexplate, converter, and trans bolted up for today. I'll be back on later. Thanks
Old 05-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Banned

This one should work:

http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id...ubcat=&pid=282

use part number 70274 (29,200 BTU)
Old 05-04-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

Ok cool. I knew B&M was a popular one. Just wasn't sure which one people used.....Well so far so good. I got the flywheel, converter, and transmission in. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I love how I only had to use 5 bolts for the trans, lol. I also noticed after I put the trans in that I was missing a couple of bolts for the pan.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:18 PM
10 Second Club

Those missing bolts are where the shifter bracket will mount, what shifter you using?
Old 05-04-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Regular

Oh really? I had no idea, lol. I bought a B&M Pro Ratchet. That's what I'm gonna work on tomorrow so hopefully it won't be too hard to figure it out. It'll be my first shifter install
Old 05-05-2008, 01:13 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by rmata
Oh really? I had no idea, lol. I bought a B&M Pro Ratchet. That's what I'm gonna work on tomorrow so hopefully it won't be too hard to figure it out. It'll be my first shifter install
I wasn't trying to be a smarty pants, you just happened to mention they were missing for some reason , and well, I thought I would tell you what they were, lol. .

Shifter for me was not hard, but time consuming to get it clean, like factory looking, I have a bunch of Pics posted here somewhere. Are you keeping a speedo?

Dan
Old 05-05-2008, 03:59 AM
TECH Regular

No, I didn't think you were. I seriously didn't know that's what they were for, lol. I bought my th400 from a local guy and it didn't have hook ups for any sensors so I'm guessing that's a negative. I read somewhere where I could tap into the front abs though so I was gonna look into how to do that. What are the sensors that went into the t-56. I know one's for the speedo. Never really thought about what the other two were. I'm guessing nothing of any concern, right?
Old 05-05-2008, 02:31 PM
10 Second Club

I believe the other two sensors were reverse lights and the reverse lock out, which you don't need. I got my TH400 with the built in VSS sensor in the tailshaft to retain the speedo, but your right, the ABS can be tapped into as well.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

So your car doesn't have reverse lights anymore? I got busy today and didn't get a chance to work on my shifter install, but hopefully tomorrow I'll get to. I was thinking about it anyway and I'm probably gonna have to cover the the m6 hole. I'm guessing a piece of sheet metal or something and then bolt the shifter to that.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:07 PM
10 Second Club

No more reverse lights for me, but there is a lot of stuff I don't have anymore, lol.

Yes, you need to cover that hole up to moount the shifter plus keep debris, fumes, and water out too.. I used sheet metal and then took the big rubber boot (that normally screws over that big hole) and layed it over the sheet metal, traced it out, then cut it and drilled the holes. It fit perfectly over the hole and used the stock screws to fasten it down, use a litttle silacone to seal it up.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

70274 - SuperCooler rated at 29,200 BTU 11"x11"x1-1/2" (Racing model doesn't include installation components and has female 1/2 NPT fittings). Can also be used for all fluid cooling needs.

I used this one on my TH400 RMVB T/B, with a 4,500 stall street strip car, always ran cool never had an issue, I also got a cast aluminum, finned, deep pan, the extra trans fluid help manage the temps.
Attached Thumbnails TH400 questions-mod_nova_copy1-2-m.jpg  
Old 05-06-2008, 09:46 AM
10 Second Club

I've also just finished my swap and make sure you take a good look at your flexplate. I got mine all together and about 20 street driven miles later I thought the whole thing was going to fly apart. haha I also did the abs speedometer sensor trick since I didn't have abs anyway with the 12 bolt in the car. How did everyone else do their shifter mounting? I just used a piece of 1.5" heavy perforated angle which seems plenty strong and doesn't flex a bit. I just didn't like how close to the gas lines it was but I still had plenty of room I thought between the steel and the lines. This is definately a learning process since this is the first swap I've ever tackled before.

Also with my exhaust setup I was able to leave the y pipe and exhaust connected during the install without a problem.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

Not to highjack, but where exactly does that B&M cooler go?
Old 05-06-2008, 10:26 AM
10 Second Club

I put it in front of my radiator with an accessory fan
Old 05-06-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hark_Z
Not to highjack, but where exactly does that B&M cooler go?
Put mine towards the bottom, right on top of the air damn. Air damn pushes air right over it. I slid it as far to the passanger side as I could to free up as much radiator space as possible. Used some self tapping screws to fasten it to the lower crossmember the radiator sits on. Nice clean fit and works well too!
Old 05-06-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

Well I got ahold of a stop sign today, lol. And another little sign that I cut a square out to cover the hole. Then bolted the shifter down to that. It feels real sturdy so I think that should do the trick. Just gotta seal it up tomorrow from underneath, and cover up the first hole I made for the cable since I didn't use that one after all.....

But, when I was adjusting the cable, I ran into some trouble. Looks like my o2 sensor is in the way. The swivel rubs right where the wires come out as it travels through the gears. Anybody else run into this problem? I guess I'll have to go to the muffler shop and have this o2 sensor moved out of the way. Here's a few pics and you can see what I'm talking about in the last one.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 7420NW7TH
This one should work:

http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id...ubcat=&pid=282

use part number 70274 (29,200 BTU)

I got the temp gauge and cooler in today and that thing is huge, lol. It should work great, but too bad it didn't come with anything other than the cooler. How or what fittings did you guys use to hook this bad boy up?
Old 05-09-2008, 11:41 AM
10 Second Club

Your gonna need to buy a 1/2" NTP to AN or barbed fitting and make the lines. You know what fittings are on the trans?
Old 05-09-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

TH400
Fitting Location Thread Size Flow Direction
Upper ¼" Pipe Return/in
Lower ¼" Pipe Cooler feed/out
Old 05-09-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

Oh cool, I guess I got lucky. I bought a long 1/4" steel line that i was gonna try out tomorrow and see if it would fit, and then if not I was just gonna return it
I guess that should work though, and I got a 1/2" to barb fitting for the cooler. I'll have all day tomorrow to work on the car, so hopefully I can get a lot done.