Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny temp gauge

Recently I had a friend of mine tell/show me on his 4L60E where you could unscrew a little plug on the left side I believe of the tranny and run a sender for a tranny temp gauge. Is this true?? I will be running a bigger stall w/ a cooler and would like to know what the temp is without whipping out the 'ol laptop to find out.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2003, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: Tranny temp gauge

if theres a spot to plug it in, id be pissed...i drilled a hole and put it into the depp trans pan...thats where i was told was a good place for it.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, what your friend told you was right. One thing to make sure of, if you order the gauge from Summit, you want the cheaper of the two gauges. I bought the $65 gauge instead of the $45 gauge, and found out that the full sweep version is the mechanical (have to tap the pan), not the electric version. The electric version fits into the transmission pressure port on the drivers side of the transmission. It's 1/8 pipe fitting, which is what the gauge sending unit is as well.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:21 AM
TECH Regular

There is a plug above the shift linkage, it is for pressure testing the trans. It will work for a temp gauge. It is a lot easier than the nasty, pull the pan and get tranny fluid all over the place.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

Sweet! Ive been thinkin about this and now problem solved!!! Now where did you mount the gauge in the car??
Old 08-10-2003, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

There is a plug on the pan, but you need to be careful since this will not give you an acurate reading of the fluid temps. It will be reading more the temps of the tranny itself.
Old 08-10-2003, 03:23 PM
Teching In

So any electric gauge will work? I was thinking about the digital cyberdyne. What would be better the sender in the pan or the stock pressure point?
Old 08-11-2003, 01:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

So any electric gauge will work? I was thinking about the digital cyberdyne. What would be better the sender in the pan or the stock pressure point?
so your saying the sender mounted in the press test port will actually be telling you the temp of the trans case more over than the fluid inside the system?

i'm really wnating to put in a gauge but not sure if i should just drill and mount in the pan or use this prss. port you talked of.

Old 08-11-2003, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sweet! Ive been thinkin about this and now problem solved!!! Now where did you mount the gauge in the car??
I've got a convertible, but I'm mounting mine right beside the drop top switch.
Old 08-13-2003, 01:19 AM
Teching In

I've got a convertible, but I'm mounting mine right beside the drop top switch.
That's what my original question was but by their input I would say...yeh. I'm about to order one I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

EODUSMCR;

I have the "Cyberdine" trans temperature guage installed in an A pillar pod, with the sending unit installed right into the plug above the cables on the A4 transmission.

You will love the guage, very high quality, very easy to read, and you can wire it up to dim when your headlights come on. It is much easier to read than a needle guage.

SteveC