Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing th350 WOT shift points

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 09:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default changing th350 WOT shift points

Right now my th350 with a forward valvebody short shifts at WOT. It shifts at about 5200-5400rpms. Need it to shift at about 6000-6300rpms. I can manually shift it but we are having problems with the factory tach not keeping up. It will tag the rev limiter (set at 6400) before it even reaches the redline on the factory tach. I have a shift light set to 5500rpms but it never came on. I've turned the light way down just to make sure it works, and it does.

Also during part throttle it shifts too quick. When i pull out within 10' its already in 3rd. The shop that built the tranny removed the passing gear if tha makes any difference.

Part throttle shifts aren't a big concern to me because i mostly manually shift cruising around anyways. The main concern is the WOT shifts.

What are the fixes/parts i need?
Old 05-23-2008, 09:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

You can start by turning the set screw in the modulator about 3/4 to 1 turn clock wise this will help some but most likley you will need a govenor recalibration kit TCI has them to change springs and weights to get what you want thats why I like electronic transmissions. Just do a little programing

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-23-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or you can get a manual valve-body and decide when you want to change gears, those are funnnnnnerrrr haha I love the one in my 69'.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:19 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by performabuilt
You can start by turning the set screw in the modulator about 3/4 to 1 turn clock wise this will help some but most likley you will need a govenor recalibration kit TCI has them to change springs and weights to get what you want thats why I like electronic transmissions. Just do a little programing
How many rpms is each spring suppose to change. I bought the B&M govenor kit but it's the exact same kit as TCI just a different name.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by One Bad Z
How many rpms is each spring suppose to change. I bought the B&M govenor kit but it's the exact same kit as TCI just a different name.
It doesn't work off rpm it works off mph since the governor is driven off the output shaft.
You'd have to be pretty much psychic to predict over the internet how many rpm it'll change your application.
You just need to try different ones and find out, and take notes.
The inner weights will have more effect on wot shifts. The modulator effects mostly part throttle but it does boost line pressure turning the screw in. The kick down cable should be connected it effects line pressure and shift quality also.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:42 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
It doesn't work off rpm it works off mph since the governor is driven off the output shaft.
You'd have to be pretty much psychic to predict over the internet how many rpm it'll change your application.
You just need to try different ones and find out, and take notes.
The inner weights will have more effect on wot shifts. The modulator effects mostly part throttle but it does boost line pressure turning the screw in. The kick down cable should be connected it effects line pressure and shift quality also.
LOL on the psychic theory. Good advice for sure. Remember one thing when changing weights in a governor, lighter weights will produce later shifts. It is really a trial and error process and will take some time to get it dialed in just right. Good luck. Vince.

Quick Reply: changing th350 WOT shift points