Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broke my tailshaft housing

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default broke my tailshaft housing

I broke my tailshaft housing on my 4l60e. It broke on the dyno on deacceleration after a motor pass. It started viberating really bad and broke the housing and starting leaking trans fluid.

I had a problem with a tailshaft housing bearing about 6 weeks ago. What happened then was the car developed a viberation and when the car was inspected the drivshaft had excessive play where it enters the tailshaft housing. I took the housing off and wound the bearing had spun and came out. The driveshaft yoke wore into the housing. So I got a new housing and bearing install. Had the driveshaft checked/balanced. Reinstall and it has been fine untill now.

I check the rearend and found it is not sitting correctly in the chassis. I mearsed it and found that the rearend is not center front to back. It is sitting one inch furter back on the left side. This would put the driveshaft where it attaches to the rearend at an angle. I would think this would cause the problem I'm having.

What do you guys think.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

If the diff has moved to the rear on one side it would have to have the yoke not in the transmission as far as it should be . That could cause a vibration and break the extension housing !!
Old 06-16-2008, 08:57 AM
Restricted User

Default What is the diameter?

What is the diameter of the Drive Shaft? {2.5 , 3.0, 3.5 }. What kind of power are you making and what is your Max Rpm's of the engine? Is the current driveshaft stock or something other?
Old 06-16-2008, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

mine broke twice on the dyno..First I got the tA off the tailshaft with a relocation bracket,and sent the drive shaft out to be balanced,all was fine,but did notice some vibration still...Added heads ,and intake,and whent to dyno tune and it happedend again!! This time I bought a PST driveshaft from BOB at EPP and never had another problem again..I have gone to a couple dyno days and moved up frpom my tr224 to a custom with more dyno tuning and no problems..I wished I had replaced the drive shaft from the begining when I bought my TA relocation bracket cuz the second time it took out my TA a,d put a hole in my floor board,and broke my tail shaft,and input shaft out my new built tranny..So had to send the trans back wich RPM trans fixed for free,and had to buy a BMR TA fix the floor board,and put a new PST drive shaft..That was close to 2years ago..Good news it has never flinched sine I replaced those parts...The shop thinks that my stock TA could have flexed and caused it all not just the driveshaft
Old 06-16-2008, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

I have a dennys nitrous driveshaft. I starting having this problem after having contol arm relocation brackets install and a sway bar. I never noticed that the rearend was off untill the control arm relocation brackets were installed. I have drove and raced the car for 5 seasons and never had this problem untill now. My brother put relocation brakets on his Z28 and with the lower arms in the lowest hole on bracket his rearend was off like mine. One tire was rubbing the bumper cover and one wasn't. He moved the control arms up one hole and now the rearend is centered. I'm gonna try that and see if that makes the rearend sit correctly. It makes sense that this is happening because the rearend is off. The way the rearend is sitting now it would make the driveshaft angle to the left. The tailshaft housing broke on the left side.

Car makes 465rwhp on motor and 620rwhp on 150 shot.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

i have a tailshaft housing if you need one pm me and offer a price. I'm 40 mins outside of chicago if you wanna pick it up or i'll ship
Old 06-16-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

FYI this setup is in a 80 malibu. No torque arm. I moved the lca to the next hole up and the rearend is now centered within a 1/16 of inch. I talked to a couple trans guys and they seem to think that the rear end being off that much could cause this. I'm gonna take off the tailshaft housing and look at the output shaft to see if it is ok. Should have update tomorrow. I have also been thinking about swaping my poly mount out for a rubber one. I would think that this would be more forgiving on the case.

Hey BMR I love my g body drag bar i purchased. Very nice piece. Now my car actually leaves straight. Goodbye g body twist.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One very important issue you need to look at is the length of the driveshaft. If this occured on a Dyno then it is highly possible that the driveshaft is binding when the car is strpped down to the Dyno. That is if the operator strapped the body down as opposed to merely strapping to the axle itself... which many operators do!

I have witnessed more than one situation exactly like yours.

g
Old 06-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Banned

The car was strapped down by the rear axle as we do with all cars. The driveshaft is the same as it has been for the past 4-5 years.

give me a shout tomorrow bro
Old 06-18-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

So I took everything apart for inspection. The output shaft looks ok. No excessive play or anthing. Splines look good. It spins and the driveshaft will go on and off fine. Trans case is ok. I went over to FLT to pick up another tailshaft housing with new bushing and seals. I have to say thanks to Chuck and Vince at FLT. They have been really helping me out with this weird situation. I installed the housing and driveshaft is being checked and balanced today. Should reinstall and hopefully drive later today.

If this dosen't take care of it then I'm having FLT build me a new tranny.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once it is back together, be sure to verify the pinion angle.

Be sure to go to FLT when Vince has the grille fired up... he cooks a mean brat!

Good Luck.

g
Old 06-18-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Found out the driveshaft is messed up. It has a slight bounce to it when they tried to balance. Driveshaft is getting replaced. Should be ready tomorrow.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

Put everything back together. Test drove and car seems fine. I went out and beat on it for about an hour. No viberations or anything. I guess only time will tell.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1 BU
Put everything back together. Test drove and car seems fine. I went out and beat on it for about an hour. No viberations or anything. I guess only time will tell.
full testing tonight
Old 06-21-2008, 12:44 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
Be sure to go to FLT when Vince has the grille fired up... he cooks a mean brat!

Good Luck.

g
You know it buddy! To bad you not here at the house today. I have the smoker/grill going with some baby back ribs. It's been a couple weekends since I have been home to cook. Figured I need a FIX!

Quick Reply: broke my tailshaft housing