Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flexplates: GM (OEM) vs. TCI vs. Madman

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 12:50 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Flexplates: GM (OEM) vs. TCI vs. Madman

The Madman unit is contructed of billet aluminum while the TCI is constructed of billet steel. But does that explain the $80 difference? I cant see that the material being that much more, but then I could be wrong. I'd like to get the better of the 2, but if its not that big of a difference, then I'll just go with the cheaper of the 2. Just because one is more expensive, doesnt necessarily make it better. Oh...and is anyone else going to release a SFI flexplate any time soon or in the near future? Just curious so that I dont end up buy one of these and rather have the one is about to hit the market. I know both of these units are new, but Ive only seen someone post up about the TCI. Anyhow, let me know what you think? Thanks
Old 08-31-2003, 12:53 PM
9 Second Club NA

Ya know...now that I think about it...what could possibly be different between these 2 units besides strength, weight, and material? I mean theyre both going to be about the same size in thickness, the same size in diameter, the same bolt patterns, and about the same amount of teeth. So I guess what were dealing with is...which one is stronger and which one is going to be more beneficial as far as weight goes? What are your thoughts on all of this? Thanks
Old 09-02-2003, 10:14 AM
9 Second Club NA

Ive decided that the OEM one is out of the picture. Yay!! Anyhow, what I have left to decide on is whether to get the TCI or Madman unit. What do you guys/gals think that I should get? Does anyone know the differences between the 2? Which one is better? Thanks
Old 09-02-2003, 11:56 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The TCI unit is a very nice piece. My unit which is an aluminum center and has a steel starter ring. The advantage over the TCI unit is that the starter ring can be replaced if you break a tooth without having to buy another flexplate.

225-343-9029
Old 09-02-2003, 05:14 PM
9 Second Club NA

Just out of curiosity, what are the odds of breaking a tooth on either one of these flexplates? I mean...theyre both 29.1 SFI approved and should be stronger than the stock units. Theres been a few that have broken a stock unit, but theres lots of people out there making some quick passes and putting some serious power to those stock flexplates and having no problems. What other advantages does your unit have over the TCI? Is your unit lighter or heavier than the TCI? Thanks for chiming in and answering some of the questions that I had. I really appreciate it!
Old 09-02-2003, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would go for lighter if you are looking for the best performing product, which is probably the madman since it is aluminium.

Unlike an M6 cars where a heavy flywheel helps deliver more torque at launch, A4's generally go for lighter converters and I would think the logic would apply to flexplates as well. However I can see where there might be a benefit to a heavier flexplate since it is rotating during brake stall.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:05 PM
9 Second Club NA

Ragtop 99: Youre completely right on the part where manuals like heavier flywheels..., however, auto. trannys also like heavier units.(flexplates though) There was a discussion on this particular issue in a recent thread. I didnt understand myself when it was first brought to my attention, but after thinking about it for a while, I caught on. Here, check it out: (read a few replies down, its not how the thread stated, but the issue came about and the thread turned into a discussion, youll see it)

https://ls1tech.com/threads/showflat...31&fpart=1

By the way, could you please explain this?

However I can see where there might be a benefit to a heavier flexplate since it is rotating during brake stall.
Thanks
Old 09-03-2003, 06:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I havent weighed TCI's against mine so I dont have a comparison. I know that mine is 1/2 lbs. heavier than stock. As for the teeth breaking issue I have seen all kinds of motors break teeth. Ls1s all the way to bbc.

225-343-9029
Old 09-03-2003, 08:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

NV:

Just before launch you will have your left foot on the brake and right on the gas and bring the motor up to 2000 - 3000 rpm depending upon the converter and how much your brakes will hold. This is brake stall. Then you mash the gas and let go of the brake and off you go.

The reason that a heavy flexplate is not a slam dunk, IMO, is because most LS1 drivers are launching 4000 stall converters at rpms well below stall speed. Thus you have to accelerate the the motor (and flexplate) to full stall coming off your brakestall. The heavier flywheel slows that process down.

The heavier flexplate would be more attractive in a car running a transbrake. With a transbrake you can launch with the engine and flexplate at full stall rpm and reap full benefit from a little extra rotating mass.

I also note there is downside to the extra mass on upshift arguement. On the street a converter like mine jumps to 5500+ rpm at WOT. That means it has to accelerate the flexplate to 5500 as part of the WOT downshift before I get full torque to my rear wheels.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also i would think you could go with a lighter flexplate and a harder hitting converter with more shift extention to offset any negative effects from a lighter flexplate . do either of these guys make an sfi flexplate specifically for the purpose of being light?
Old 09-04-2003, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

both units are a little heavier than stock.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:16 PM
9 Second Club NA

both units are a little heavier than stock.
True...but which one is going to be more beneficial? I beleive the TCI weighs a bit more than the Madman because the of the different materials. (billet aluminum vs. billet steel) Anyone running the Madman unit? Which one would you go with? Thanks
Old 09-05-2003, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ignoring price, I would go with the Madman piece. A little tougher choice with price factored in. good luck with your decision.

Old 09-05-2003, 11:24 PM
9 Second Club NA

If you dont mind me asking, why would you go with the Madman unit? Im not saying that I wouldnt or that Im going against your decision, but I just wanted to know why. Price is a BIG factor in this decision. If I could get a GP or special intro. price on the Madman unit since its new, then I might go with it. I really dont have $280 plus shipping for a flexplate. The Madman is very pricey, but Im sure its worth it. Anything to drop the price a little bit would help me out. I think I'll start a thread about it in the Sponsor Sales & Group Purchases section! Madman...if youre watching...WE NEED A GP OR SPECIAL INTRO. PRICE!!
Old 09-06-2003, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

I like Billet aluminium better than steel,
For a non-transbrake car I like the lesser weight, and
I like the idea of replaceable starter ring (even though I've never broken a flexplate tooth).

Most of the advantages are small. If you are on a tight budget, you will not regret the purchase of the TCI. However, if someone was giving both away, I would take the madman.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone know why the part numbers are the same for all years of flexplates? did they phase out the old models??

Quick Reply: Flexplates: GM (OEM) vs. TCI vs. Madman