Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blew my 4L60E..

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well we opened up the rearend lastnight. the posi had blow up. it was an eaton posi! so something was overlooked during the installation. the clutch, everything was in pieces. so we are getting a new posi and new gears for free and we dont have to pay for the labor this time around.

thank god it wasnt the tranny.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Good luck with that , Many times however when the rear blows it takes out the LOW ROLLER clutch in the trans also but I will keep fingers crossed for you ,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-30-2008, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

yeah. the noise it was making was echoing from the rear to the tranny. we are TRIPLE-CHECKING everything this time around.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:56 PM

4L80E is from the trucks, stronger, larger, more weight, more mass, more strength. From what I hear though, it will handle quite a bit more torque.
But it's overkill for most street cars, since we've all seen a bunch of claimed 500 hp cars with an actual 335 on the chassis dyno and the 4L60E can handle that much.

I am selling mine though(it's in classifieds), since i'm going to sell the whole car/project off.

...Jim
W.E.D.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

I was thinking 4L80E.. it would work well for my setup, but the T56 will be more fun.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:34 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the Original poster as well as the_merv please let me share my FLT experiance with you.

I have had a close relationship with FLT for 2 years now.

My last combo was a 430RWHP 370cube N/A occasional nitrous setup. We went with a level 4 for this setup and I beat it unmercifly to the tune of 185 quarter mile passes in 1 year. Fastest being a 10.66 (175hit) and slowest about a 12.20. Sixty foots were 1.55 all day every day best of 1.50 12,000 street miles. Upon teardown it was easily willing to take a lot more.

My new setup is a 76mm Turbo 370. Many phone calls with Chuck and Vince were able to convince me that there 60E could take the punishment I wanted to put it through.

4000lbs and 700RWHP was what I was planning, weekly track outings and lots of street use. I promised to change the fluid regularly and keep it cool. They did the rest.

I havent been able to get a sixty foot to make my ET reflect the power but 133.15MPH in a 4000lbs truck does no question. Im on about pass 50 this year all in the 10's and so far 5000 street miles as well. This trans is a Level 5 with a billet output.

I think that a 60E built by the right people is easily capable of what your looking for.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by the_merv
I hear ya..I got a friend that runs a local Shop so I got the hookup on it, but it's jut that I'm at the power level that even with the stuff that they put in it, it just keeps breaking. For the cars around the area with about 100 less rwhp..they are fine with the same build they did for me. We replaced all the hard parts with aftermarket parts the last time I shattered the stock stuff. Now it just keeps burning the Clutches up. I've killed 3 within the last 9 months.
I figure a built T56 from Six Speeds Inc will be less maintenance and hold up better.

I'm going to have the 4L65E that I have been using re-built and put it in my Truck when the time comes..atleast put some of the money I have in it to use..

man dont throw around that bad **** because you dont have somebody that knows what they are doing when builkding a 60-e...that rediculous and the exact reason why people are scared of them...people like you sayin bullsh** like that...
i make over 620rw and ive been 3 years on my tranny no issues...made over 225 passes...MANY MANY MANY people on this site are low 10's to mid 9's with a built 60-e...your car running low 11's toasting clutch packs is because some idiot is attempting to build a 60-e that has no clue what the hell they are doing
i havent yet seen or heard of a cpt tranny comming apart from too much power....(where mines from)

to the original poster get a built 60-e unless you make over 675 rwhp

Last edited by daniel6718; 07-31-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:36 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well that's certainly one way to put it!

In fact Daniel is absolutely correct though. In the hands of a seasoned professional High Performance Racing 4L60E builder the transmission is actually quite formidable. It is simply not a transmission that is forgiving in high horsepeower / high rpm combinations if it is not setup properly. I know that because I burned up a stack of clutches that went from the floor to just about my knee before I began to get a grip on it. It took me well over a year and many thousands of dollars to get it right... and it was then that I released them to the public. I didn't practice on my customers cars like so many shops do.

Much research and much time has been spent by any and all of the vendors here at Tech for us to earn the reputations we have.

The reason that transmission is losing soft parts is because the builder does not understand the complexity of the hydraulic circuits. He does not understand how to properly manipulate the shift timing. He does however understand how to take it apart and replace the bad parts... no doubt about... so he is not a dummy. This forum is full of threads dating back many years that very well documents this very situation.

You need a unit that is built correctly.

Good Luck with the car either way!

g
Old 08-01-2008, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

thanks everyone! car is alive again ))
Old 08-02-2008, 12:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Black X
To the Original poster as well as the_merv please let me share my FLT experiance with you.
I belive you bro, I have read alot of good things here about quite a few of the sponsors here.

I'm just dropping in the T56 cause I want to play with it more.. and I miss bangin some gears..

Originally Posted by daniel6718
people like you sayin bullsh** like that...
This coming from a guy that makes a thread how he is currently debating on re-building the Engine in a vehicle that has a hole in the Radiator and some other major problems that he doesn't want to adress..
https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-engineering-tech/955543-s10-blew-up-today.html
Should of put this under the Retarded Engineering thread section..
Old 08-02-2008, 02:01 AM
Banned

ok my s10 has nothing to do with this thread...actually i did just what i said i reused the headgasket and bolts and put a new 40 dollar head on it and its running today...
if you got a truck for 250 bux and were about to do a 5.3 swap it would be retarted to spend a buncha money on fixin up my 2.2 since the radiator is going along with the motor and tranny...

your retarted trying to say your 450hp car makes too much for a 60-e, thats one of the dumbest things ive ever heard...ive seen BONE STOCK TRANNYS jrun LOW 10's in cars with nitrous for a long time...so your tranny isnt even as strong as stock...dont throw that bs around here...go back to your hole where the slow cars are...
Old 08-02-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok my s10 has nothing to do with this thread...actually i did just what i said i reused the headgasket and bolts and put a new 40 dollar head on it and its running today...
if you got a truck for 250 bux and were about to do a 5.3 swap it would be retarted to spend a buncha money on fixin up my 2.2 since the radiator is going along with the motor and tranny...

your retarted trying to say your 450hp car makes too much for a 60-e, thats one of the dumbest things ive ever heard...ive seen BONE STOCK TRANNYS jrun LOW 10's in cars with nitrous for a long time...so your tranny isnt even as strong as stock...dont throw that bs around here...go back to your hole where the slow cars are...
calm down dude...and if im not mistaken hes going with a new setup. not the one he has now.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Banned

im calm...i dont care what he says...he thinks hes a badass with his big bad stroker motor...ect ect...i have a cam only car that runs faster than him setup to run nitrous....

i know about his new setup because when he does anything to his car he post ****** it all over the net here so everybody knows...

i just dont like people saying junk that isnt true at all...and if his car was truely fast and he thinks that 6 speeds are more reliable and cheaper then autos im pretty sure most people in here would agree hes wrong
Old 08-02-2008, 06:39 PM
11 Second Club

i know about his new setup because when he does anything to his car he post ****** it all over the net here so everybody knows...

i just dont like people saying junk that isnt true at all...and if his car was truely fast and he thinks that 6 speeds are more reliable and cheaper then autos im pretty sure most people in here would agree hes wrong
I post what I do/am going to do to make a conversation..I have some pretty good ideas on a regular basis that I like sharing, instead of keeping them to myself like a conceeded *******. I ran into quite a few of them when I was trying to build my LS1 Harness to run into my car. I thanked the few that helped me. If I remember right, I helped you get yours running..funny how you sneer at me and poke fun at what I got..I'm just happy and proud with mine.

I never said that a T56 is faster, I plan on losing a couple of tenths on the Track. I also plan on spanking some *** on the Highway..that is where we all get most of our kills..I rarely go to the Track.
IMO it is more reliable..hell Gears are ALOT more reliable..expecially with the right Driver. I beg to differ on the more expensive part.. a good built T56 will last a hell of alot longer with me..just how stuff is for me.

Besides, I want it for the fun factor, I'm tired of having a Auto and since I blew mine up and I'm about to go to Iraq, now is the perfect time to get it ready for all the T56 stuff and drop it in when I get back.
That and I want to try the T56 Swap..see what it takes. I'm having fun with it so far.

Originally Posted by lt1noob
calm down dude...and if im not mistaken hes going with a new setup. not the one he has now.
Beatin the dead horse bro..

I appreciate it though..
Old 08-02-2008, 08:36 PM

Wow, a lot of action in the tranny thread! Should have popped some pop corn and grabbed a beer before coming in here. lol

So a car with only a cam has 620+ rwhp? Or is that a different car? I know we are not talking about the $250 S10 truck right now, since that is sporting a 2.2 with a fresh $40 head, 90hp at best since it's probably pretty tired.

Rather then build a 5.3, I would swap out the motor with the cam that makes more power then a nitrous motor, since it sounds like a keeper!

Just trying to keep things straight.

I LOVE the Internet!

Quick Reply: blew my 4L60E..