Old 08-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCI controller/4L80E issues

Anyone here running this combo?
Older TCI controller
Hughes performance trans
Turbocharger engine

I have the gray box TCI controller and would like to see/talk about settings. I have had in the past an issue when shifting from first to second manually at WOT. The trans seems to go it into neutral, I let off and it shifts.

I have a hughes transmission which means the valvebody has been modified to boost pressures. I was told that some people have had issues with too much pressure after getting a modified valve body and making ecu adjustments, making the selonoid flutter.

Could someone maybe post screen shots of the line pressure graphs for me to see for reference?
Old 08-02-2008, 09:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Graphs are useless to determine what your real max line pressure is to find out you will need to get a pressure gauge you can adapt a high side A/C gauge and some high pressure braided line and place in the port just above and forward of linkage on the trans. Unplug the round harness connector from the side of the trans start car and watch line this will show you max it should be no more that 230 psi but more than 200 psi.
The graphs and readings from PC only show you what the pressure should be based on estimated parameters . The 4L60E and the 4L80E have no internal pressure sensor.
Although its also possible your intermediate sprag is not holding

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-02-2008, 11:29 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might post this same topic in the tuning section of the forum in order to get a graph with a TCI controller. As for the flooding of the solenoids you need to get a gauge on this trans to see where you are at as far as max line pressure. I personally do not want to see pressures in a 4l80e over 210 max psi. Minimum pressure should be at about 75psi. Usually 180-200 max psi is more than sufficient with the 80. If you have 230psi there is a good chance that your sprag has rolled over. Does your trans have an after market super hold sprag in it or are you using the factory hd sprag? Vince
Old 08-03-2008, 12:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Graphs are useless to determine what your real max line pressure is to find out you will need to get a pressure gauge you can adapt a high side A/C gauge and some high pressure braided line and place in the port just above and forward of linkage on the trans. Unplug the round harness connector from the side of the trans start car and watch line this will show you max it should be no more that 230 psi but more than 200 psi.
The graphs and readings from PC only show you what the pressure should be based on estimated parameters . The 4L60E and the 4L80E have no internal pressure sensor.
Although its also possible your intermediate sprag is not holding
Thanks for replying.
I think what I am asking for is reasonable. I have checked line pressure with the ecu disconnected.. (over 200psi )
TCI controller graphs for line pressure is based on pw and tps. Just seeing where others have theirs set could be a better option that using some tech guy from TCI that does not understand the software.......... Yes I called. No he did not know. He was more concerned to tell me that the new controller did away with those settings.

Last edited by Lethal Injection; 08-03-2008 at 12:31 AM.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:23 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

I had an issue with an old controller that lock up did not work but would work with either a manual lock up switch or our tran-X box. Almost sounds like he was trying to tell you that the old boxes might have an issue. Take it for what it is worth. I feel that you might have an internal issue. When the trans feels like it neutrals is it hitting the rev limiter?
Old 08-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
You might post this same topic in the tuning section of the forum in order to get a graph with a TCI controller. As for the flooding of the solenoids you need to get a gauge on this trans to see where you are at as far as max line pressure. I personally do not want to see pressures in a 4l80e over 210 max psi. Minimum pressure should be at about 75psi. Usually 180-200 max psi is more than sufficient with the 80. If you have 230psi there is a good chance that your sprag has rolled over. Does your trans have an after market super hold sprag in it or are you using the factory hd sprag? Vince
Thanks for replying. I do have over 200 psi. It was not over 220 psi I know but I did not pay attention to the exact psi because I knew 200 was about right. I do not know about the sprag. I don't care to do a WOT run just to have this happen again if I can help it, banging off the rev limit just is not fun and it can't be good on the trans when this happens. The trans shifts hard 1-2 under lite throttle and not as hard as I would like 2-3. Just hoping to see what others are using for setting from this controller. I did not drive the car with the pressure gauge attached. Only at idle and powerbraking to 2000rpms.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:38 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry I was typing while you were!
One thing I need to say is I have not made a WOT run since rebuild. I have made initial settings and driven the car to get shift firm-nest settings at normal driving. It seems fine except that 2-3 is quick but hard shift like the 1-2. Just looking for comparisons before doing the WOT test.

And you are right he did say that the old controller had too much adjustability to it and that was causing issues.

By the way, I was the one calling your shop last week for a valvebody. I was concerned that the valvebody was a problem and was looking to replace it.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:45 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

After reading your original post again have you tried to lower you shift RPM's and MPH tables to avoid this neutral/RL condition? Might be something to consider. Vince

Quick Reply: TCI controller/4L80E issues