Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B&M Hi-Tek: Cooling system vs. Super coolers

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 02:21 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default B&M Hi-Tek: Cooling system vs. Super coolers

I was wondering how the B&M Hi-Tek Cooling system compares to even the biggest B&M Hi-Tek Super coolers? I beleive the biggest one listed on Jeg's and Summit is a 28K GVW. I hear of a few running the 28k unit, but its so hard to work with and mount because its so big. (11" x 8" x 1.5") I also know that with the Cooling system, that you can pretty much mount it anywhere you can because it uses a built in fan. So in this case, adequate air for this system is not that important. I'd like to just use the 28k GVW, but I hear that its a pain when youre running the FTRA. I dont mind paying a little extra money for one that comes with a built in fan, but only if its really worth it. I know that it comes with a built in fan, but how does that compare to continuous air flow? The measurements for the Cooling systems are: 13.5" x 9" x 3.5" with a 9.5" diameter fan. The other one consists of: 10.5" x 6.5" x 4" with a 7" diameter fan. Both the Cooling systems are bigger than the biggest Super cooler listed. If I was to go ahead and buy the Cooling system, where about would I mount it? What would you do if money wasnt an issue? Do you think its worth it? How much better is the Cooling system going to cool over the Super cooler and be consistent with it? Thanks a lot and any input is appreciated!
Old 09-01-2003, 12:07 PM
9 Second Club NA

Default Re: B&M Hi-Tek: Cooling system vs. Super coolers

How do the B&M units compare to the Perma-Cools and Flex-a-lites? (with fans) The B&M is a bit more in price, but does it pay off? I know how popular B&M is about their coolers and whatnot, but has anyone had experience with these other 2 brands? The B&M unit that I want is $210 and I was wondering if thats really worth if for a cooler? So I thought about it...the most expensive cooler that is listed on Jegs and Summit is the 28k GVW and its $53. So even at the biggest cooler, is a fan thats attatched to a cooler really worth $150? I mean...I could buy a nice cooler itself and then a fan and just mount them together, right? Maybe theres more to these Cooling Systems that I dont know about. Theres gotta be a reason for the major price increase! I want one with a built in fan, but should I spend my money on the B&M or should I consider another brand? Is the B&M really worth it? Thanks
Old 09-01-2003, 12:45 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,208 Likes on 773 Posts

I am having a B&M 28,000 GVW cooler installed but I am running a T400, transbrake and 5000 stall.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:06 AM
9 Second Club NA

I'll be running a 3800 with a 2.75 STR and 98% effeciency. Anyone have any thoughts on the coolers with the fan? (B&M Hi-Tek cooling system) Thanks
Old 09-02-2003, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think about it this way, for $100 you could have two supercoolers and be worrying about having heating problems for your transmission.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:17 PM
9 Second Club NA

Why would I be worrying about heating issues with 2 Super coolers? I just cant see the fan on the cooler being $150! Is there something that Im missing about the system? Obviously its priced that way for a reason. What would you do? Thanks
Old 09-02-2003, 08:37 PM
Teching In

i think he means that with 2 coolers the tranny will be running almost too cold. anyway, the "system" does have a thermostat controlling the fan, those usually run around $50-75 alone. i am planning on installing the 28k cooler and mounting my own fan and using a manual switch to turn the fan on if it needs a little extra cooling.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:46 PM
9 Second Club NA

So do you think that the B&M Hi-Tek cooling system is worth the money or any other cooler with a built in fan? So a cooler with a thermostat and fan would be $50 (cooler) + $50 (thermostat) = $100 which leaves the fan being over $100 or if we said that the thermostat was $75, then the fan would be $75. Sorry for the analyzation, but just wanted to see what Im really paying for. Thanks for your input!
Old 09-03-2003, 03:40 PM
Teching In

i think part of what you are paying for is the fact that it is already put together and ready to go, you dont have to buy a fan and a thermostat and then try to make them all work. if you want everything simple and ready to go then buy the "system", if you want to save some money and do some of the work yourself then buy the pieces and put it together. if i had to guess, i would say that the "system" will probably be a little better, but by how much and is it worth it, i dont know.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not sure how they compare... but i'm running a 28,000GVW B&M cooler now in my car... fit pretty good up under the car (above the front air dam)... I had to cut a chunk outta my FTRA to get it to fit though...wasn't bad though, plenty of room and the sucker cools good

If i remember I'll try to take some pics this weekend... but basically all I had to do was cut off a 2.5" x 2" section out of the corner of the FTRA... just enough to open up a little spot for the 28k gvw cooler to fit in...
Old 09-07-2003, 01:12 AM
9 Second Club NA

Im more than likely gonna go with the B&M cooling system, but which one do you think that I should get?: 13.5" x 9" x 3.5" with a 9.5" diameter fan or 10.5" x 6.5" x 4" with a 7" diameter fan? Anyone running one of these? I know that with a built in fan it allows you to mount it pretty much anywhere, but if it gets too big, then I don see how thats possible because theres only so much room in a newer f-body. Thanks
Old 09-09-2003, 07:45 PM
9 Second Club NA

Im sure either one will do just fine and cool plenty, but if it were up to YOU, which one would you get? I know most of you would go with a 24K GVW over a 19k, but what about in my case? (13.5" x 9" x 3.5" with a 9.5" diameter fan or 10.5" x 6.5" x 4" with a 7" diameter fan) Is anyone running either one of these? If so, what are your thoughts on it? $209 and $189 are the prices for the coolers listed above in bold. Thanks