Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?
View Poll Results: Is Wyotec a Good school?
Great School
9.40%
Good School
12.82%
Neither Good nor Bad
29.06%
Poor
13.68%
Terrible, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!
35.04%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Is Wyotec a good school?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello im currently in wyotech i like it the courses are pretty quick but if u understand the basics it does teach alot i have been working on cars 15 years so i took another type course im in body material and it even challenged me i am in chassis fabrication now and i love it but if u are planing on going to the blairsville pa campus the school is good town hates u u wil be a outcast there are plenty of prostitots to keep u occupied but u are def centered out by the the other townsmen
Old 10-11-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

I went to Wyotech and will tell you not to waste your time like I did. They teach based on theory. There's not much shop time to actually get indepth with how stuff works. You're better off goin to a normal 2 year college that has an auto program. That or just start off in a dealership doing oil changes and working your way up from there cause thats what you'll be doing anyway even if you have that degree that doesn't mean anything to a dealership.

UTI is the exact same way. A friend of mine went there and hated it even more than I hated wyotech.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Launching!

I plan on going to S.A.M and after visiting their shop in houston i was VERY impressed. im starting there next july straight out of high school, but it all depends on how interested in engines you are.

also, i looked at going to wyotech before i decided to go to S.A.M and i was VERY turned off by how salesman like the reps at wyotech are...

plus, i love engines =D
Old 10-12-2009, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

I was thinking about s.a.m. How long? How much? any experience or school requirements? Thanks
Old 10-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Alot of that info can be found on their website Samracing.com

I'll be going for 18 months since im taking there combo course, which is both their block course and their head course, and want to spread it out, but it can be done in 9 months. they also offer a CNC course (and trust me, there CNC program looks SICK)

tuition prices can be found on their website also.
you have to have a high school diploma or GED, and you have to take the bennet mechanical comp test.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

thanks, i tried the website but i couldnt find the information, il try again
Old 10-14-2009, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

Check out UNOH as well fellas. I am attending starting in January.

http://www.unoh.edu/academics/colleg...chnology.shtml

Check out the video.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by N01SS
http://www.deanza.edu/autotech/courses.htm

get your self a degree, certs, and a lot more knowledge from a college.

Plus its so much cheaper and you can get the fin. aid if you need it.

I have wyotech graduates in some of my classes, and they don't know a damn thing, honest to god.

Thats exactly what I am afraid of. I dont want to come out of a school being a friggin retard. I want to know what I am talking about. Thanks for the I/P
Old 10-19-2009, 02:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

It seems that there are a few more schools that are out there for what I want. SAM is one. The UNOH has come up a couple of times too. I will check them out. Thanks for the input fellas. Let me know how your college experience goes. So far it looks like I am going to get my associates at community college for auto mechanics, but I really want to take some welding and drafting classes to start with chassis fabrication. That is what really interested my with Wyotech. The chassis, and interior fabrication. It all seemed too good to be true. So far I have heard both bad and good things about UTI, and Wyotech. So I guess that I all seems to be hit and miss at these schools. Not to mention that it seems like they kick you out to the wolves. Help you get a job...psst. Whatever. I dont need your help getting a damn job. (sorry, short rant). But it looks like auto is going to stay at community college for now at least, until I find that university that is the right fit. Thanks for the intel guys. Keep it coming
Old 10-19-2009, 08:19 AM
Teching In

Im currently attending Wyotech Sacramento and its not bad....there is a lot of class time but plenty of time in the shop also. If your mid level knowledge wise itll be great for you. Just learning about cars itll probably be too fast paced, tons of experience too slow. I like the program but they are geard more towards dealership level and getting you a job when you leave. I will be going to UNOH for more in depth classes on the racing side. Looked at SAM since im from Texas, but its a lot of money. Heard great things about them though.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CrashnBurn
Looked at SAM since im from Texas, but its a lot of money. Heard great things about them though.
Our prices are on par with any other votech program out there. Actually, if you calculate the cost per credit hour, we are actually a little less expensive than some of the big name schools out there. We are an accredited school as well, so financial aid is available to those that qualify.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

wyotech is fast paced, but the main reason i came is chassis fab, they do help quite a bit with getting a job which is a good thing with the shitty economy, there are a lot of kids that get on with nhra and **** real easy if you have good grades and attendence
Old 10-26-2009, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

Go to UNOH.edu University of Northwestern Ohio or S.A.M. for engines. Those two are great. I went to U.N.O.H
Old 10-27-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rddragon
wyotech is fast paced, but the main reason i came is chassis fab, they do help quite a bit with getting a job which is a good thing with the shitty economy, there are a lot of kids that get on with nhra and **** real easy if you have good grades and attendence
Sounds too easy. Get a job with NHRA just for getting good grades and go to class. lol
Old 10-29-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't waste your time or your money going to somewhere like Wyotech or UTI. Are there any other schools that advertise heavily on television that you would be confident in someone with a degree from them? I mean a degree from ECPI or ITT Tech isn't exactly confidence inspiring to most people.

Honestly though, a close buddy of mine works part time at a Honda dealership, and he's always telling me about how guys that worked there would go to UTI, and then come back to the exact same job at pretty much the same pay. They talk about the lucky few who work for NHRA teams and whatnot, but the reality is the bulk of them work at dealerships for reasonable, but not so great money. Having worked at a shop when I was in high school, and hanging around them all the time, the only sure-fire way I have seen to really move up the ranks at a shop is through experience.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jwindbigler
I am thinking of going to the Michigan U to get a masters in physics and business.
best idea yet. that way, you can afford to do what you want. knowing how to do it is only part of the battle. quality parts and proper tooling costs money, and you wont make much as a tech new in the field. take some advice from the senior techs at the dealership i worked at. they said the industry has gone downhill and they wouldn't do it if they were starting out now.

keep this as a hobby, lol. unless you really, really love it. yeah, its cool to say i built this, i built that, but in the end, does it really matter who turned the wrench on it when you're driving it? as long as you find people you can trust to do good work, true craftsmen that have invested years into the craft and the business, let them build your cars.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2002_z28_m6
Go to UNOH.edu University of Northwestern Ohio or S.A.M. for engines. Those two are great. I went to U.N.O.H
I 2ND this. UNOH is awesome. Unlike wyotech they teach you ony your major. My friend went to wyotech for hot rod fab, but then he went to BMW step, after that he had to sign a contract with BMW to say his next job will be with them. so now he is sitting with no job because he cant find any BMW delarship hiring.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SAM is the best school around bar none you would want to go there
Old 11-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Teching In

I am currently attending Penn College for automotive technology and business management (4 year). I considered wyotec and uti but the college is about the same price and you get a degree. Also if you pick a decent sized college there is some fun college life to have.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

why a masters degree in physics? i would think a masters degree in engineering would be more suited to engine and chassis building. fwiw, i went to ga tech, got a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, got a good job, saving up money, learning as much as I can about cars as a hobby, then i want to open up my own shop. then you'll be the guy hiring SAM or UTI graduates. if the shop fails, i always have a mechanical engineering degree from a good school to fall back on.

Quick Reply: Is Wyotec a good school?