Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?
View Poll Results: Is Wyotec a Good school?
Great School
9.40%
Good School
12.82%
Neither Good nor Bad
29.06%
Poor
13.68%
Terrible, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!
35.04%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Is Wyotec a good school?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by haddockWS6
UTI is the only way to go! I'm attending the campus here in Phoenix and its great so far. The program I'm on lasts 18 months and when I graduate I will also have my associates degree.
UNOH > UTI. End of story. If you think your getting associates degree knowledge from 18 months your sadly mistaken. The fact that a typical associates degree takes 2 years and UTI gives it to you in a year and a half should tell you something about the credibility of UTI.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you already know some about cars your best bet would be to try and get on at a dealership and do some on the job training.

I started at a dealership 3 years ago with no school, no certifications, and no kind of automotive history other than race cars. I know am ASE certified and have the bays of my on. I will tell you this though, dealership work is nothing like independent work, in a dealership there is a lot of bull to put up with, from warranty to come backs that are not really come backs. There will be a lot of days of standing around, but when the work comes in you may make 15-20 hours a day. My advice is to find a job that pays hourly instead of commition.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i had to do it over again i would tell Tech to kiss my ***... 28K for nothing really except to be rushed through **** and shitty techers that were ok at best in the field and thats why they became techers.. You get spit out wet and no real help.. Hell half the jobs that come to recruit don't stick to their word either.. Just my experience.. I'm in the process of switching careers cause i made a hobby a career and hate going to work now... But in the end it's a personal choice.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

too expensive and like said they just pump you out as a number. but it was the way i got my foot in the door
Old 02-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Teching In

I went to Wyotech back in Fall '03 and thought it was a great school until I got really sick with a stomach flu and lost like entire letter grade cause I was sick one day cause they penalize you for that which makes no sense. They even told the class this story about someone passing out and was rushed to the hospital and still lost points of his grade for missing class.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

i'd be all over going to SAM if they weren't solely based in Texas.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DAKMOR
i'd be all over going to SAM if they weren't solely based in Texas.
Why does moving to Texas make you change your mind about following a passion or dream that you have?
Old 03-17-2010, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

I can't say anything good or bad about the various trade schools, BUT..... I've fired more guys from Wyotech,UTI and Ranken for lack of knowledge and/or ability. The last one that got hired as a Wyotech grad was fired within a week for asking how to put lower balljoints in an F150. (No joke!) According to his ASE's he was a full on master tech!

One thing that alot of people are forgetting is the new guys coming in are now competing with A LOT of VERY experienced GM/Chrysler techs who are finding themselves homeless form dealer cuts.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kawijames
I can't say anything good or bad about the various trade schools, BUT..... I've fired more guys from Wyotech,UTI and Ranken for lack of knowledge and/or ability. The last one that got hired as a Wyotech grad was fired within a week for asking how to put lower balljoints in an F150. (No joke!) According to his ASE's he was a full on master tech!

One thing that alot of people are forgetting is the new guys coming in are now competing with A LOT of VERY experienced GM/Chrysler techs who are finding themselves homeless form dealer cuts.
Interesting considering Wyotech doesn't give the certs, ASE does. Hell, the only certs they offered IN CLASS are a transmission rebuild cert, EPA cert (609 for A.C. work). They also offer ICAR - if you take the appropriate classes. They may have more based on the collision courses.

If he had ASE certs and was still inept blame ASE.

I went to the Blairsville, Pa Wyotech (Graduated in 08)

Originally Posted by dannyz06
I Dont post much at all, but i have to represent my school, Wyotech. Keep in mind the type of guys that go to trade schools, probably about 95% of us where F**k ups in high school who didnt do much at all, and carry on the same attitude after highschool. Most guys go into trade schools thinking its gonna be a piece of cake. In reality these schools are designed to teach you at a very fast pace at the same time covering just about everything u need to now. I cant speak out about other schools other then wyotech.

Wyotech kicked *** i took the auto tech program and the business management program and i added the Chassis Fabrication and high performance engines program. i learned the most in the chassis fab class. i was done in one year. Two weeks after i graduated i got a job at a reputable transmission shop in south Florida, ATFspeed.com , R&Ring transmissions a few months later i started fabricating and working on 6sec drag cars at the same shop and ive been doing it since.

Whatever school u pick just go in ready to pay attention and study.
My lowest grade there was a B. I never missed a day, was never tardy and never lost point for infractions. I ended up with a G.P.A. well above a 3.0. They are a diploma pump. I can tell you that not one dealer in St. Louis wants techs from there. Hell, I was even asked by most dealers who would even call me who they were. Had I gone to Ranken they would have known the school at least. When I got there I was told my add on course was split(they used to have Hi-performance and Chassis fab together but were separating them so they could be more in depth). In hindsight I should have either taken both classes or taken the Chassis fab instead of Hi-performance. The welding skills could have transferred to many other vocations. Oh yeah, I was 27 when I attended. Not some high school slacker.

Long story short, go to SAM or 2-4 year school.

Last edited by Darksol; 03-27-2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: addtional info
Old 03-29-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive had numerous friends go there do well in school just to get out have a *** load of loans to pay off and not get a job better than your average tire shop or autozone... id save your money and find a class that will give you ASE certification.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

go somewhere else. i went to wyotech and i loved it and miss it, but all it is, is false promises. they dont help u as much to find a job and its really pricy and you get everything just rammed into you.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:25 AM
Banned

Check out UTI... Better programs and better schooling IMO.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:45 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike@ZMS
Check out UTI... Better programs and better schooling IMO.
yea, if you want pumped in and out in 8 months with minimal hands on training...

there are plenty better alternatives to UTI, Wyotech...etc...

i may seem like a fanboy for UNOH, but ive seen UTI, and Wyotec and their programs look like a preschool compared to UNOH's course catalog and reputation.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

GO TO COLLEGE. DO NOT make the mistake I did. You can learn SO MUCH on the job. you should just go to college and get at least a 2 year degree and maybe get a job at a dealer or a garage turning wrenches. You can learn soooo much on the job.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

Don't go to auto school I did and I learned a lot but not as much as you learn from actually doing it yourself, don't bother with UNOH either its no better than anywhere else though everyone there seems to think so, I had a buddy who transferred there from lincoln tech because they sold him on some great pitch and he said lincoln was better and I know from experience that lincoln wasn all that great

Just get a job and learn on the job
Old 04-08-2010, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by twelver12
Don't go to auto school I did and I learned a lot but not as much as you learn from actually doing it yourself, don't bother with UNOH either its no better than anywhere else though everyone there seems to think so, I had a buddy who transferred there from lincoln tech because they sold him on some great pitch and he said lincoln was better and I know from experience that lincoln wasn all that great

Just get a job and learn on the job
UNOH is way better than UTI wyotec...etc. UNOH doesnt pump you in and out in 8 months. plus you get an accredited degree, not just a diploma. also, you dont have 80 people in one class. most you will ever have is 20 students to 1 teacher. the intelligance level of the teachers is insane. ive learned so many things you cant pick up by yourself its not even funny. and im guessing wyotec doesnt have a student motorsports team that races dirt modifieds and stock cars across the country...
Old 04-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Launching!

i think wyotech was a joke..
Old 04-12-2010, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

bkmghjgh
Old 04-12-2010, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Im currently enrolled at Wyotech, and i have nothing to much to say about it is what it is. Any school will have its flaws. And its Wyotech not wyotec, they dont teach spelling there btw. I went through collision/refinishing and now im in Trim and Upholstery, later taking ASM. but all in all its a very good school. One down side i see is the shortage of instructors.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

i graduated from wyotech in late 06 and i loved it....if you go in there with half a clue and want to learn, you'll be fine...i've bounced around from job to job always leaving to go to something better....currently i'm 22 years old and make $24/hr as a tech

you get out what you put into it, bottom line....

Quick Reply: Is Wyotec a good school?