Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?
View Poll Results: Is Wyotec a Good school?
Great School
9.40%
Good School
12.82%
Neither Good nor Bad
29.06%
Poor
13.68%
Terrible, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!
35.04%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Is Wyotec a good school?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw your earlier postin g when you were asking questions about wyo tech. Can I ask what caused you to decide to go on and attend wyo tech despite all them nagative comments?

Also I'm not sure when you posted your comment which is quoted below. Are you still in Wyo tech? If so or not, would you care to share some expierences and thoughts?

Greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by nazztman4739
hello im currently in wyotech i like it the courses are pretty quick but if u understand the basics it does teach alot i have been working on cars 15 years so i took another type course im in body material and it even challenged me i am in chassis fabrication now and i love it but if u are planing on going to the blairsville pa campus the school is good town hates u u wil be a outcast there are plenty of prostitots to keep u occupied but u are def centered out by the the other townsmen
Old 05-09-2010, 02:31 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should look into penn college of technology they have a 2yr and 4yr automotive program.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Teching In

wyotech is a great school if you have some common knowledge about cars and want to learn more every one hates on the school because they expect that they will come out of here and expect to become a technicain and thats not what they train you for they train you to be a good tech and go in to a apretice position i love my schoool and am proud to go to wyotech
Old 05-12-2010, 05:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeG
Check out UNOH as well fellas. I am attending starting in January.

http://www.unoh.edu/academics/colleg...chnology.shtml

Check out the video.
I graduated from UNOH also. Life is great, Its the only place to go!!!!!

Last edited by SweetS10V8; 05-12-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

Just out of curiousity,

Why have you ruled out a traditional 4 year university?

I'm 21 and will be finishing up my Bachelor's very shortly, graduating into the medical field and will start as a first year graduate around 55-60k.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro_built7
Just out of curiousity,

I'm 21 and will be finishing up my Bachelor's very shortly, graduating into the medical field and will start as a first year graduate around 55-60k.
because not everyone wants to be in the medical field.

there are only a few schools out there that teach specifically automotive and highperformance. and of thoes few, only a few are worth a ****. UNOH and SAM being 2. wyotech and UTI are jokes. im sitting in class right now beside 2 people that left wyotec because it was a joke.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just out of curiousity,

UNOH has a 4 year Bachelor's program too. I almost went through it, but I got too good of a job offer out of the box.

UNOH you actually graduate with an accredited degree, unlike UTI/SAM/Wyotech. I wouldn't want to spend $30-50k and come out with a "diploma" or a "certificate of completion"

I wanted a DEGREE......
Old 05-13-2010, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
UNOH has a 4 year Bachelor's program too. I almost went through it, but I got too good of a job offer out of the box.

UNOH you actually graduate with an accredited degree, unlike UTI/SAM/Wyotech. I wouldn't want to spend $30-50k and come out with a "diploma" or a "certificate of completion"

I wanted a DEGREE......
UNOH also has diploma programs in all its tech studies. however its only another few classes to get an Associates degree. thats all that is offered for tech programs, unless you go to the business side of the college and turn it into a business managment degree.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just out of curiousity,

I went to college for mechanical engineering got a job as an intern and figured out I wasted 3 years of my life, there is no way I could be stuck in an office staring at computer screen all day. I was going to college for a "good job" and was told engineering would be perfect for me because I am mechanically inclined and great with math. In reality going to college for engineering was a shitty choice that I wish I would have never done.

In short because a bachelor's degree is what you want doesnt mean its better, and money isnt everything. Im currently leaving a 70k plus a year job for a 35k a year job so I can be happy with what I do instead of making money.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

My brother went there, and these are his words exactly..
Worst decision of my life
Old 05-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Teching In

I went to Wyotech Blairsville. It truly is an incredible school.

the question is not if it's a good school, the question is how hard you are going to apply yourself.

they offer a metric **** ton of certs and programs. Not everything is required. usually the people that talk down on the school are the ones that skip class, and stay back at the apartment to blaze down a big ole bag of weed.

They off BG certs, Dynojet certs, ASE's, Smog testing certs. all kinds of awesome stuff that is NOT required to graduate.

If you do end up going, i would advise you to take on every cert you can possibly get while you are their, and never miss a day of even 10 mins of class.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1998ls1z28
wyotech is a great school if you have some common knowledge about cars and want to learn more every one hates on the school because they expect that they will come out of here and expect to become a technicain and thats not what they train you for they train you to be a good tech and go in to a apretice position i love my schoool and am proud to go to wyotech
Holy **** son. Have you ever heard of punctuation?
Old 05-21-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Regular

I was thinking about going to Wyotec over in Sac. CA. right out of high school, but when I went to see the campus I changed my mind right away. I didn't see any performance cars, or engines. They wanted $25,000 back then(3 years ago), it probably went up by now. It was a real let down.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:21 PM
Launching!

It totally depends on the individual. I Myself am a UTI graduate and yes there is a ton of info in a short timespan. From My personal experience it always seemed like the guys that talked trash about the school were the "know it alls" and class clowns. Also, there was a lot of guys that cheated their way through the course and by the time they graduated still had no clue what they were doing. Basically, You get exactly what You put in to a program like that. Since graduating UTI Rancho Cucamonga in 2004 I have been thru a few shops then finally landed a job at a school district making $60,000 + a yr. I graduated at the apprentice level and worked My way up to the journeyman level. I cant sat anything bad about the program because if I had not gone there right out of H.S. I would not have had the knowledge to land a great job and purchase My first home in SoCal it the age of 23. I also have a 1997 T/A and a 2005 4x4 CC/LB F350. Not trying to brag but thats not too bad for a now 25 yr old living in SoCal. That being said I say Go somewhere! just dont stay home drinking brews wondering why others have nice things and You dont. You will be rewarded for Your efforts.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:16 AM

I had a friend that went here and didn't appreciate it as much as he thought he was going too. So from the opinions and comments I have heard from him I would not recommend it. I hope that helps some!
Old 06-12-2010, 12:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8

I wanted a DEGREE......
If you are looking for a 4 year degree in Automotive Engineering Technology, look to Minnesota State Universitiy, Mankato. www.mnsu.edu

I totally agree with the you get out what you put in. There were a lot of people that went through the program on mom and dad's dime and were just there to party. When it came time to get a job, most of them end up in some totally non related job and can't figure out why.

Whatever you do, 4 year or votech, put your heart into it and you will get to where you want to be.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jmccormick
I went to Wyotech Blairsville. It truly is an incredible school.

the question is not if it's a good school, the question is how hard you are going to apply yourself.

they offer a metric **** ton of certs and programs. Not everything is required. usually the people that talk down on the school are the ones that skip class, and stay back at the apartment to blaze down a big ole bag of weed.

They off BG certs, Dynojet certs, ASE's, Smog testing certs. all kinds of awesome stuff that is NOT required to graduate.

If you do end up going, i would advise you to take on every cert you can possibly get while you are their, and never miss a day of even 10 mins of class.

As a graduate of Wyotech, I feel inclined to state this:

1. I was 27, married and had 2 children all with me as I was in school in Blairsville. I never missed a day. Never was tardy. Never had a grade lower than a B. I have never used weed and I hardly ever drink (less than once a month) I was not a slacker or a goof at least not during class time. I up-rooted my family so I could attend. I took it very seriously and paid attention. I did not get out what I put in.

2. Certs like ASE are only offered when ASE will set up a class. If you are only a month or two into a 9 month session taking a ASE is like throwing money away. And there is no guarantee of a class being available near your graduation date. The SCHOOL has no control over it ASE does!

3. In the St. Louis area, no one knows who Wyotech is. Hard to convince someone to give you job based on a school that they aren't comfortable with when the market here is filled with Ranken and ITT tech grads that had ASE certs (Ranken at least) included with the cost of school.

4. The technician market is overwhelmed in the St. Louis area. After Dodge's closures and a few other dealers closing (a Cadilac, Chevrolet, Hyundai dealers all closed and thats just off the top of my head) the market has a large pool of experienced techs. Hard to get a foot hold in dealer here unless you know someone to get you in. Lots of shops are unionized too.

5. Honestly, in hindsight, going to Wyotech was the single worst decision of my life. The job placement services offered are only marginal in areas they have a history with. For Blairsville that was, Pittsburgh, and points east and a little south it seemed. The immediate bi-state area (WV and PA) were seemingly strong. Being close to 700 miles from my school has not helped me at all. They don't have any relationships with dealers this far away. CarMax is huge for them but a few of the guys I went to school with had the most entry level jobs with the dealers that Wyotech found for them. Cost to go for me was over $30,000. Try paying back 3 or more student loans on $9/hr and trying to rent a place or buy one, pay a car payment, even a small one, and have any quality of life while paying $400 plus back on loans. And that's if you can get a job with a dealership. I had to work at small mom and pop shops that have lower pay, no benefits (remember I have a wife and kids) and no chance for promotion.

Now all this may be just because of the area I live in. And some people are fortunate enough to land great jobs from Wyotech, I was not one of them and I, personally have not heard of any of my graduating class landing a killer job, if they are employed in the market at all. Cost of living in St. Louis is among the lowest in the country but a dollar still only goes so far. This is my story some others may be different. But I have found my story to be more common than not.

p.s.

In my high performance class there was no mention at all of a Dynojet cert. I took hi-po class from Jan-Mar of 08. I was in the evening class. So news of one is a new one to me.

Last edited by Darksol; 06-22-2010 at 02:12 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:20 AM
Banned

WyoTech and UTI are more like businesses than schools. They are in it to make money more so than to provide a quality education that will serve its students well in the industry once they "graduate".

I go to school to learn and develop my skills. Wyotech teaches people at the basic level with no real programs to offer much more. $30k is a lot to spend on a college where you will likely learn less than if you went to work for a shop as a "grease man" or "shop bitch" and worked your way up the ladder with hands on experience and guidance the entire way.

Just my .02 cents of course.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Teching In

I'm at UNC-Charlotte Mech Engineering with the Motorsports option.

http://motorsports.uncc.edu/

Being that your tech electives are motorsports even if you can't get a job in racing the fall back of being a Mech Engineer and having a Nat'l average starting income of 59K is nice.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike@ZMS
WyoTech and UTI are more like businesses than schools. They are in it to make money more so than to provide a quality education that will serve its students well in the industry once they "graduate".

I go to school to learn and develop my skills. Wyotech teaches people at the basic level with no real programs to offer much more. $30k is a lot to spend on a college where you will likely learn less than if you went to work for a shop as a "grease man" or "shop bitch" and worked your way up the ladder with hands on experience and guidance the entire way.

Just my .02 cents of course.
No you NAILED it.

Quick Reply: Is Wyotec a good school?