Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Looking for advice on a career change!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Looking for advice on a career change!

Ok guys i figured i would throw this one out at ya......I really need your opinion....I have been working in the food/rest industry for most of my life and i am really looking for a change. I have come close to going to a local technical college a few times for automotive technology in the last four years, but i never pulled the trigger. I just turned 28 years old and i have been obsessed with engines and modifying my cars since i was 16 years old. The whole college thing never worked out and i have found myself stuck in a profession that i cant stand...I quit my job two days ago and while i find myself examining my future the only logical solution seems to get education, NOW...I have no automotive hands-on experience with the exception of putting on a couple of cai on my corvettes and maybe a few things here and there....What do you "professionals" recomend? I would love not to have to pay 50k for a degree at wyotech or s.a.m but i really dont see any other way of getting on the scene......Does anyone have some good advice to offer to get me started into this field....I have a little money to get by, so should i go to a crappy technical school to start, just cough up the dough and go to the baddest school out there like S.A.M, or what? ANY INPUT IS APPRECIATED
thanks
Matt
Old 08-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a graduate from SAM I can give you a lot of insight on what they have to offer. Shoot me a PM if you have questions. There is no other school in the country that has the reputation SAM does. A lot of big teams and race shops out there recognize and hire the type of students we produce.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:58 PM
Launching!

The local community college is a good cheap place to start. That way you can stay local, get an education, and really see if its something you want to do long term. Good luck!
Old 08-23-2010, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

ur greeeaaattt at sucking the willie hahahahahahahahhahahhahhahaha jk na i love ur chicken... keep cooking bitc*
Old 08-25-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look out the window right now - there are cars zooming around endlessly. If you want to get into the car business there are lots of jobs. The problem is that most of them are servicing people that look at cars as if they were toasters - a begrudging, neccesary expense that you have to live with in order to get by in the 21st century.

There are far fewer jobs that keep a motorhead perked up, because the dollar volume is so much lower. But I'd still recommend the car business if you think you might like it. You will run into enough guys that share your interest.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

im in the same boat, similar situation. the tech schools are super expensive and dont have adaptive schedules for people who work full time. they are more meant for people straight out of high school.

I would recommend a local community college with a hands-on shop, which is what I will probably do. Other option would be to shadow a local shop and see what its all about...network and learn
Old 09-12-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My advice: suck it up and do a two year nursing degree. For the most part, the auto repair business has turned to crap and really has been for a while. Warranty pay at a Dealer is a complete joke, it is cutthroat, there is so much crap/electronics on these new cars that it is getting harder and harder to diagnose and fix but yet they pay you less to fix them, it is commission based unless you work for $10 an hour changing oil or something.

Don't take that the wrong way, just letting you know the realities. There are much better jobs out there and that pay much more and you won't be dead tired every night from wrenching on cars all day.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

Default i agree

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
My advice: suck it up and do a two year nursing degree. For the most part, the auto repair business has turned to crap and really has been for a while. Warranty pay at a Dealer is a complete joke, it is cutthroat, there is so much crap/electronics on these new cars that it is getting harder and harder to diagnose and fix but yet they pay you less to fix them, it is commission based unless you work for $10 an hour changing oil or something.

Don't take that the wrong way, just letting you know the realities. There are much better jobs out there and that pay much more and you won't be dead tired every night from wrenching on cars all day.
i agree 100 % with the above and i worked 8 years at the dealer and 4 years in small / performance shops in Chicago .. rihgt now the auto industry is dead that why i am a cubicle warrior at the moment

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on a career change!