Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

autobody?truck driver? or cylinder head technician

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default autobody?truck driver? or cylinder head technician

i am 20 years old.i need everybody input in my decision.i have 3 careers to choose from:auto-body?truck driver? or cylinder head technician.right now i am going to school for auto body.reward paying career.second truck driver(CDL).good amount of $$$$ can be made.third is cylinder head technician.last week i got job at cylinder head machine shop.i don't know much about this career.these are three great careers.but i just can't make up mind on what i want to stick with and make my career.so help me out guys!
Old 04-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98camarols1
i am 20 years old.i need everybody input in my decision.i have 3 careers to choose from:auto-body?truck driver? or cylinder head technician.right now i am going to school for auto body.reward paying career.second truck driver(CDL).good amount of $$$$ can be made.third is cylinder head technician.last week i got job at cylinder head machine shop.i don't know much about this career.these are three great careers.but i just can't make up mind on what i want to stick with and make my career.so help me out guys!

being in a body shop will get old man trust me... i did it for 4 years and never was happy... then again im a perfectionist at things so if it wasnt perfect i wasnt to happy...lol
Old 04-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SVTconfused
being in a body shop will get old man trust me... i did it for 4 years and never was happy... then again im a perfectionist at things so if it wasnt perfect i wasnt to happy...lol
if i go with auto body.most likely i'm going to go with restoration or custom type work.not regular shop where u rush and half *** ****.but i know what you mean tho.lol
Old 04-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Launching!

anyones else?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyones else?
Im a technician and it really starts to suck sometimes. Im also interested in being a truck driver.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Snap-On
Im a technician and it really starts to suck sometimes. Im also interested in being a truck driver.
its only been week sense i start doing it and i hate it.i think i am going to go with truck driving and autobody on the side
Old 04-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Launching!

I drove truck for several years. I really liked it, it was hiway and some city delivery. Went to garages and body shops and met many people that made the job great. I ended up having a disabled child and made the choice to be home more than away. I would gladly go back to driving if I could. I worked in a body shop when I was younger, and like the above post, it makes you old and miserable. Customers can be a real pain in the ***. And when you fall behind and start working 16 hour days, you just get tired and worn out.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Stormed_Norm
I drove truck for several years. I really liked it, it was hiway and some city delivery. Went to garages and body shops and met many people that made the job great. I ended up having a disabled child and made the choice to be home more than away. I would gladly go back to driving if I could. I worked in a body shop when I was younger, and like the above post, it makes you old and miserable. Customers can be a real pain in the ***. And when you fall behind and start working 16 hour days, you just get tired and worn out.
my plan is to drive truck till i am single and save up $$$ and open my own little shop and take it from there.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Staging Lane

ive been working in a body shop for 1 to 2 years as a body tech and im sick of it, doing it as a career is a good way to ruin a fun hobby, im not sure how it is in florida, but in illinois the pay sucks until you have about 5+ years experience
Old 04-07-2012, 11:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by frehwk_ls1
ive been working in a body shop for 1 to 2 years as a body tech and im sick of it, doing it as a career is a good way to ruin a fun hobby, im not sure how it is in florida, but in illinois the pay sucks until you have about 5+ years experience
same here.u be lucky u start out as painter.its either detailer,body-man helper, or painter helper as beginner.and i like restoration type work.where everything is done the CORRECT WAY.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:24 AM
Staging Lane

i get paid hourly pay so i take my time and make sure the job is done right unlike the very experienced body men in the shop that make commission and hack every job just to hurry and get that $$$
Old 04-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by frehwk_ls1
i get paid hourly pay so i take my time and make sure the job is done right unlike the very experienced body men in the shop that make commission and hack every job just to hurry and get that $$$
I agree 100% with you on that.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

driving as long as its hourly and you're home every night is ok.

i drive but its local and i get OT every week. i see hot ladies everyday.

screw that salary crap and not being home. i would'nt be a subcontractor either. that really sucks ***.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
driving as long as its hourly and you're home every night is ok.

i drive but its local and i get OT every week. i see hot ladies everyday.

screw that salary crap and not being home. i would'nt be a subcontractor either. that really sucks ***.
you think ill be able to start local with no experience.because they say i have to go OTR first then once i have experience then i can do my own or go local
Old 04-10-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

you think ill be able to start local with no experience.because they say i have to go OTR first then once i have experience then i can do my own or go local
my friend has a class A with every endorsement and has had trouble finding something because he does not have enough experience.

he got an offer just recently with yellow freight. not great pay but descent but at least they have teamster representation.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
my friend has a class A with every endorsement and has had trouble finding something because he does not have enough experience.

he got an offer just recently with yellow freight. not great pay but descent but at least they have teamster representation.
my brother in law has his own truck he had to do 2 years OTR first. maby me and him can do team driving or buy another truck.plus gotta start SOMEWHERE.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Truck driver the way to go. I started as a driver now I'm looking for drivers!
Old 05-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lilicedout24
Truck driver the way to go. I started as a driver now I'm looking for drivers!
yeah thts my plan 2.i want to do heavy hauling.thts where the money is at right?going to get my licenses in October when i turn 21.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:49 AM

my brother in law has his own truck he had to do 2 years OTR first. maby me and him can do team driving or buy another truck.plus gotta start SOMEWHERE.
A few things to think about . Where do you want to be in 5 to ten yrs ? Driving cross country ? Sleeping in your truck. ? Do you want or have kids or wife /girlfriend that you want to see . If so long haul driving isnt for you. It can work but for the most part it dont . your out there chasing the money gone all the time . Women want / need you Home . Take it from someone thats been there I'm a truck driver and a truck driver trainer for publix supermarkets. I work 10hours a day I'm home every night, get to eat dinner with my family put my kids to bed and spend time with my wife.make good money work for the best company in the grocery business great benefits, matching 401k , free lunch everyday . Yes I have a background in automotive ive got certificates from tampa tech and from hcc and i can work on just about anything .sometimes i chose not to and sub it out to my friends shops so they can make some money and i still have my free time with my family .I love my job and I still love working on cars and trucks and have several projects and money to work on them with. Right now I'm gathering parts for a ls swap into a 1951 Chevy truck as I'm doing the metal work on the body and replace the old rusty panels. Publix is going to build a big warehouse in Orlando in a couple of years on goldenrod and were going to need drivers over there. We don't hire drivers off of the street. We hire from inside the company and we train them also . So your getting the training for free. Cost of truck driving school is about 9000 now. Best way in the door is to get hired in the warehouse and start there. We have a warehouse on sand lake in Orlando. Openings are posted online at www.publix.com. Good luck whichever way you decide to go
Old 05-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 50s dragger
A few things to think about . Where do you want to be in 5 to ten yrs ? Driving cross country ? Sleeping in your truck. ? Do you want or have kids or wife /girlfriend that you want to see . If so long haul driving isnt for you. It can work but for the most part it dont . your out there chasing the money gone all the time . Women want / need you Home . Take it from someone thats been there I'm a truck driver and a truck driver trainer for publix supermarkets. I work 10hours a day I'm home every night, get to eat dinner with my family put my kids to bed and spend time with my wife.make good money work for the best company in the grocery business great benefits, matching 401k , free lunch everyday . Yes I have a background in automotive ive got certificates from tampa tech and from hcc and i can work on just about anything .sometimes i chose not to and sub it out to my friends shops so they can make some money and i still have my free time with my family .I love my job and I still love working on cars and trucks and have several projects and money to work on them with. Right now I'm gathering parts for a ls swap into a 1951 Chevy truck as I'm doing the metal work on the body and replace the old rusty panels. Publix is going to build a big warehouse in Orlando in a couple of years on goldenrod and were going to need drivers over there. We don't hire drivers off of the street. We hire from inside the company and we train them also . So your getting the training for free. Cost of truck driving school is about 9000 now. Best way in the door is to get hired in the warehouse and start there. We have a warehouse on sand lake in Orlando. Openings are posted online at www.publix.com. Good luck whichever way you decide to go
that is very true.but i was thinking to do it long hauling til i am single.so tht way i can build experience.then i was thinking to go local once i get settled down.and what u mentioned about publix i would love to join them.like you said they do have great benefits.ill keep in touch with u on tht.

Quick Reply: autobody?truck driver? or cylinder head technician