Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Who's gone to SAM

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 08:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that post speaks for itself! Thanks for the reply to the thread.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

i might go there when i get out of HS which is in a year and i am 18 so when i am 19 0r 20 i should be there hopefully unless i don't go there.devin
Old 04-24-2007, 08:47 PM
12 Second Club

I dont quite follow the schedule... If I were to take all classes offered, how long would it all take? I see if you start in January you end in October - does that include CNC machining? Im all confused!

Nate
Old 04-25-2007, 06:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

We have three courses that we are offering now. The CNC stuff Is getting finished as we speak.

The heart of our school is the Cylinder Block Course (9 Months / 8am - 12pm) and the Cylinder Head Course (9 Months / 1:30 to 5:00)

So you can do one course at a time, both at the same time or stagger the courses. Mind you, if you DO take both the Head and Block course at the same time, you can Finish in 10 months, but you will be at the school from 8 to 5. It is not bad though..... all you will be doing is building race engines

Let me know if that helps.

The CNC Machining course is 5 months long and will have to be completed AFTER you do your cylinder head course.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion you can get the most out of the school if you take them separately. Even though the classes only last half the day you can stay there all day and work on stuff if you like. At least thats how it was when I was there. Heck, some people stayed even longer after they finished both classes. Some people were there 2 years. As long as your productive they did not mind.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am planning on going to S.A.M. very soon. I hope to visit the school sometime this summer to check it out. My question, is it mostly hands on or is there a lot of book time? I learn a lot more from doing things then reading about them. Also, I was wondering if it is like how the guy above said? I would really like to be able to stay after class and review/apply all the things I learned for the day.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the response, that is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Stanknuglet
I am planning on going to S.A.M. very soon. I hope to visit the school sometime this summer to check it out. My question, is it mostly hands on or is there a lot of book time? I learn a lot more from doing things then reading about them. Also, I was wondering if it is like how the guy above said? I would really like to be able to stay after class and review/apply all the things I learned for the day.

We BEG for our students to stay at the shop till we LITERALLY kick you out of the machine shop area. I am usually at the school from 7:00 in the morning till 6:30 or 7 at Night.

We are ALL about the hands on. YOu do learn a TON in the classroom, but if you do not apply it outside and actually BUILD motors, then you are wasting your money. You need to come down and line up that tour over the summer. Just let us know when you are ready!

Gray
Old 04-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigBronco

Mind you, if you DO take both the Head and Block course at the same time, you can Finish in 10 months, but you will be at the school from 8 to 5. It is not bad though..... all you will be doing is building race engines

thats what i did and i woudlnt have it any other way..... i mean **** after i graduated i still hung around the school for a few monthes to finish a project i had goin on......

Fran
Old 04-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Teching In

I'm goin as soon as I can I've already toured the school, and took the entrance test. But I just couldn't get enough money. Now I have to wait til my fiance graduates UTthen I'll be there. NO IF'S AND'S OR BUT'S ABOUT IT.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Kevin, call me need you to go look at a z w/ me this weekend. I am also looking into S.A.M. just trying to get my boss to work around classes
Old 04-26-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

All PM's have been replied too!
Old 04-30-2007, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BROSLAB
I'm goin as soon as I can I've already toured the school, and took the entrance test. But I just couldn't get enough money. Now I have to wait til my fiance graduates UTthen I'll be there. NO IF'S AND'S OR BUT'S ABOUT IT.
im in the same boat - my fiance has 1 year left of nursing school - however she is looking into traveling nursing programs around the houston area - free living while im in school

i really do not want to wait any longer but i have waited 3 years already what is one more
Old 04-30-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jmalibuss
I attended the school and graduated in '99 just as the LS1 craze really started taking off. IMHO It is the best of any vocational school out there. It is a "no nonsense" kind of place. The owner Jud, is straight to the point cut and dry kind of guy. The nice thing about the school is it teaches you how to deal with real world scenarios. Not just in engine building but in the work place also. Work ethic.
Just as anything though, you get out of it what you put in to it. You can just cruise through or you can come out with enough knowledge to join just about any racing organization you want! I graduated and immediately went to work for Ed Pink Racing engine machining IRL and Silver Crown sprint engines.

If you truly like the performance and racing industry it is the only route to go in my opinion!
GREAT POST!

Im also a graduate and everything jmalibuss said is absolutely true! What you put into it is what you get out of it, so learn as much as possible!
Old 04-30-2007, 11:18 PM
Teching In

my little brother is going there after this summer. i may also be moving down there also because my dad is gettin transfered so i may meet some of yall
Old 05-01-2007, 08:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by UGotBeaT
GREAT POST!

Im also a graduate and everything jmalibuss said is absolutely true! What you put into it is what you get out of it, so learn as much as possible!

What course's did you take I am also thinking about going. I need to know if they take a the Montgomery GI bill.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

The Veterans Administration (VA) and The GI Bill work down here at the school. We do have a financial Aid officer who helps ALL of the students out. She is VERY good at what she does.

Cesar (UgotBeat) did both the Block and Head course. Which is suggested by all of us!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Gray
Old 05-01-2007, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

I had Dave from the school call me last week, gotta call him back
Old 05-03-2007, 01:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks bronco.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

No Problem.

Abot, I will pass that message along to Dave for you!

Quick Reply: Who's gone to SAM