Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Who's gone to SAM

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007 | 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

I had heard about this school, but never really payed it any mind since its in Texas (not that theres anything wrong with Texas). But i was going through my July issue of GMHTP when i saw the add for the school. I went on the website and couldn't believe what i was seeing. From what i understood from the website was that i would be advancing my knowledge of the automotive industry, and basically be doing the stuff i love. And thats reading almost everything automotive, and working on my car. For a while i have considered moving out of Florida, not forever but for a while. And when i saw the site about the school it just clicked a switch in head, that i have to go to this school. And if i were to go to this school it would definetly be for the Block & Cylinder Head Combo Course. I need to set some time off so i could go over there, and take a tour.
-Joel
Old 12-23-2007 | 02:54 AM
On The Tree

Old thread I know, but good info. I plan to move down a few months after I get back from Iraq to attend. Most likely will come down in April to take a tour, find a place to live, find an Army Reserve Unit to transfer to, ect.

I didn't know you guys split the class up for morning and afternoon. I originally thought each class had its own instructors and ran all day. That kind of changes things for me. I may do both classes if I can get the funding. Do you think the workload may be to much to start out with both classes? Would it be wiser to start with one class and then add on the other after I am settled in?

Have you guys seen any employers hire a graduate from one class and then help then financially so that they could attend the other class? (There is a name for this, I can't think of what it is.)

Now I just need to talk my friend into coming with me.
Old 12-23-2007 | 11:02 AM
On The Tree

sorry bout the pm Bronco, didnt notice you had so many, your a popular guy.lol, i have a few friends that go to the school and LOVE it, i ahve been looking for a good automotive school for months and this is the ONLY one that i hear nothing but good about....time for laons i guess..more like an investment
Old 12-26-2007 | 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

I am getting ready to attend SAM i took the tour and it was just everything i could hope for just need to get the approval from my bank for the loans and i should be able to move out there as soon as march to start school the people were awsome down there they couldnt make you feel more at home i asked about bronco but he wasnt in at the time I was there well hope to meet some people from here wen i attend
Old 12-26-2007 | 07:36 PM
FormerVendor

Joe is a graduate. Graduated in 2000 and we use his knowledge everyday. Also helps to have it when you are building projects like our

Best education around!

Amber
Six Speeds Inc.
Old 12-29-2007 | 02:39 PM
On The Tree

so are there tours all the time or just a few a year?
Old 01-02-2008 | 10:05 PM
Teching In

Tours at the School can be setup any time. Give me a call at the School and we can setup a tour. 713-683-3817 Ask for Ben.
Old 01-05-2008 | 12:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not to be frank!
What type of money can I make after I finish the school. Most machinst I know in my area only make about 13.00/hr, I work in a boring warehouse and make 17.00/hr, but would rather do somthing I love and even eventually be able to open my own buisness with one day. I have been looking at attending a long time now, probaly since '01. I dont want you to think that money is the primary consideration (by no means), but I have started a family and I have to be able to suppourt them and my gas habits.
Old 01-05-2008 | 01:10 AM
TECH Resident

Im going on the Feb 5th date. Im getting all the stuff from FAFSA as we speak"type".
Old 01-07-2008 | 09:52 AM
Teching In

Your starting wage out of school depends a lot on you. Are you willing to relocate? What type of work do you want to do? Race Team, local shop, LS1 Shop, etc. If I had to put an average on starting wages it would look like this:
STARTING WAGES (goes up with experience)
Local Engine Shop (general rebuilds, some performance stuff) $30K-35K/yr start
Specialty Shop (LS1, Mustang, Viper etc.) 35k-40k/yr start
Race Team (NASCAR, NHRA, Power Boats, BAJA, etc) 40k and up start

It all just depends on who you work for and how much you can do for them. These are just rough averages of starting wages. If you come to school and commit yourself to get everything you can out of it, you can come out of the school as a very valuable asset to any shop or team. The more valuable you make yourself to them the more money you make as with all professions.

Hope that helped somewhat, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Ben
713-683-3817
samracing.com
Old 01-07-2008 | 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Ben,
I am interested in opening a ls1 shop similar to HPE/Mti, a shop that has its own machinst but not limiting to ls1 specfic.
That brings up a question, do you guys teach on any four and six cynlinder stuff or is all just the same.
Its funny the day I posted my orignal question, i picked up a copy of HOTROD and it had some specfics on saleries in nascar that goes along with what your saying.
If i ever get the chance to attend (lords willing) I will give it my all. I spend so much time on this site ,in magazines and have built all my motors and done all the work including tuneing on all my cars(2 ls1 camaro, 3 prior mustangs), from information I get from here ,other sites and books. I am barely making it through flight school now, because of my hobby!
LOL
Old 01-07-2008 | 12:24 PM
Teching In

All of our class projects are based on V8 engines, but you can take that and apply it to 4cyl and 6cyl engines. An engine is an air pump no matter the number of cylinders.

Is that HOT ROD magazine the newest one or an old copy? I'm interested in getting a copy of it.

Ben
ben@samracing.com
Old 01-07-2008 | 12:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea its one of the Dec 2007, has Dale Jr. on the cover with his Orange '70 camaro.
Old 01-07-2008 | 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Ben,

How long do you guys keep the results of the Mechanical Apptitude test on file? I toured the campus with David Saunders back in October.

I took the exam, sat in on the ignition class that Jud taught, and met with the financial counselor to discuss how to use my GI Bill and how much money "up front" to start school.

I am active duty (Navy) and not eligible to retire until August '09.

Would if be plausible to start the enrollment process now and start paying towards tuition?

Your thoughts?

R/

Jeff
Old 01-10-2008 | 09:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by zmonsterjb
yea its one of the Dec 2007, has Dale Jr. on the cover with his Orange '70 camaro.
Thanks man I found one.
Old 01-10-2008 | 10:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fratsit
Ben,

How long do you guys keep the results of the Mechanical Apptitude test on file? I toured the campus with David Saunders back in October.

I took the exam, sat in on the ignition class that Jud taught, and met with the financial counselor to discuss how to use my GI Bill and how much money "up front" to start school.

I am active duty (Navy) and not eligible to retire until August '09.

Would if be plausible to start the enrollment process now and start paying towards tuition?

Your thoughts?

R/

Jeff
I talked to Linda about your questions and you're good to go on the BMC, we have it on file.

As far as paying on the tuition now, it would probably be a better idea to put that money into a savings account and draw some interest. She said if you really wanted to you could start paying towards tuition but you will be paying towards what ever the tuition costs at the time of enrollment. You can start the enrollment process by sending in a copy of your diploma or GED, $100 reg/fee, and we already have your application and you passed your BMC. If at anytime you decide you will not be coming to the school the reg/fee and any type of tuition payments would be reimbursed in full.

Hope that answered your questions.

Ben
713-683-3817
samracing.com
Old 01-11-2008 | 01:56 AM
On The Tree

Hey Ben,

Do you think the workload may be to much to start out with both classes? Would it be wiser to start with one class and then add on the other after I am settled in?

Have you guys seen any employers hire a graduate from one class and then help then financially so that they could attend the other class? (There is a name for this, I can't think of what it is.)
Old 01-11-2008 | 04:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

very interested in the school just seems like a high cost of investment and the salary on the outside seems slim... I was wondering if some of the guys that graduated on here wouldnt mind where they work and about what they make plus giving some of the factors of it, how long youve been working, position title, etc. Thanks a ton in advance-Mike
Old 01-11-2008 | 09:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Kurt
Hey Ben,

Do you think the workload may be to much to start out with both classes? Would it be wiser to start with one class and then add on the other after I am settled in?

It is a lot to take on all at once taking both classes at the same time. I personally took them back-to-back because I had to have a part-time job while I was in school. Taking them back to back also gives you a lot more shop time. But there are students taking both of them together as we speak and they're doing just fine. I guess ideally, if time were an issue, I would start the Block Class and then after a few months begin the Head Class. This would give you a chance to settle in and get a feel for how things work at the School and you would still be able to finish in 12-13 months.

We haven’t had any employers do anything like that. We have had a few employers that sent employees to the school and paid for it however.

Ben
713-683-3817
samracing.com
Old 01-11-2008 | 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by venomhp
very interested in the school just seems like a high cost of investment and the salary on the outside seems slim... I was wondering if some of the guys that graduated on here wouldnt mind where they work and about what they make plus giving some of the factors of it, how long youve been working, position title, etc. Thanks a ton in advance-Mike
Here is a little info from early on in the post in wich i found helpful.

Your starting wage out of school depends a lot on you. Are you willing to relocate? What type of work do you want to do? Race Team, local shop, LS1 Shop, etc. If I had to put an average on starting wages it would look like this:
STARTING WAGES (goes up with experience)
Local Engine Shop (general rebuilds, some performance stuff) $30K-35K/yr start
Specialty Shop (LS1, Mustang, Viper etc.) 35k-40k/yr start
Race Team (NASCAR, NHRA, Power Boats, BAJA, etc) 40k and up start

It all just depends on who you work for and how much you can do for them. These are just rough averages of starting wages. If you come to school and commit yourself to get everything you can out of it, you can come out of the school as a very valuable asset to any shop or team. The more valuable you make yourself to them the more money you make as with all professions.

Hope that helped somewhat, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Ben
713-683-3817
samracing.com

Quick Reply: Who's gone to SAM