Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

People who have made it in GMHTP magazine, step inside...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default People who have made it in GMHTP magazine, step inside...

First off, you are all bastards, and I envy all of you! 2nd, it has been my dream to join you in making the magazine

Anyways, I have everything I believe I need (good pics, biography, car mods, history, dyno sheet, time slip) but was wondering about return postage and captions on the pics.

Per the editors note in GMHTP "all contributions must be accompanied by return postage" and "all photograps must be accompanied by captions". I didn't really add anything on the pics as it just seems dumb to put "engine bay picture" under the engine bay picture, and so on and so forth. Just wondering if this is okay or if any of you out there did it. Return postage I am just sending another large envelope with return postage already paid. I am assuming that is what they are getting at with that.

Any info?
Old 10-22-2008, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been in Street Heat twice.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Was in 'READERS RIDES' back in 2001 in HOT ROD MAGAZINE.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Gee thats great guys, but it has absolutly nothing to do with my post or my questions. SSnister, what all did you submit? Really I am going for the cover, but would be happy with anything.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talk real nice to Nine Ball. He writes features for GMHTP and a couple other magazines.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd love to get a write up of my vette one day...

CALL911, tell us how it goes man!
Old 10-22-2008, 11:54 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

I've supplied a few pics for one or two of the writers and have been in a few install articles.

A caption should be no less than 10 words, I'd try to do something around 25-30 words for each picture; the less work for the editor, the better... Think of who's car they would use if they were a day from the deadline and had 20 submissions some taken with a Polaroid with a few notes written on back of the photo, or choosing from the 1 or 2 submissions taken with a nice camera with matching text; organized, detailed and complete.

Back to captions, these are not too hard; If it's an engine bay picture, add something related to what your specific major engine mods are, nothing like spark plugs or timing chain type need to be mentioned.

Something simple like this:
"Under the hood of the Formula WS6 resides a 441rwhp Heads and Cam setup. CALL911 and his friends installed the PRC supplied CNC 5.3L heads with the "MS3" camshaft in two days and then topped it off with a FAST 92mm intake and 92mm throttle body."

If I was ever to submit something, I'd probably have a nice printout of text/pics/captions and then a CD-R with the same info and higher quality images.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:11 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Return postage is only if you want something returned. I send my stories in on a CD, no need for them to come back. That is probably just some old jargon from back when photos were sent as physical prints.

I seriously doubt they will use your article as a multi-page feature, unless you have some killer pro-level photos and an amazing text story. Most reader submissions go to the reader's rides section, which is still cool.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Well, I just mailed out the package today. It should arrive in NJ on Saturday. Thanks -Joseph- for the info. I didn't end up sending captions to the pics. Perhaps I should have, but the article I wrote has all the info on the car, and past info on the engine bay, I just don't know how it would not seem repetative to have "CALL911 driving on such and such highway", "CALL911 parked in such and such lot".

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Return postage is only if you want something returned. I send my stories in on a CD, no need for them to come back. That is probably just some old jargon from back when photos were sent as physical prints.

I seriously doubt they will use your article as a multi-page feature, unless you have some killer pro-level photos and an amazing text story. Most reader submissions go to the reader's rides section, which is still cool.
I emailed Rick Jensen a while back and he just told me to send lots of high resolution pics, and include dyno sheets and time slips, and per the "Editorial Contributions" section in the beggining of GMHTP, I also mailed a paid postage envelope adressed back to me.

I don't know that my "text story" was anything amazing. I'm just a normal gearhead who has just dumped tens of thousands of dollars into his old LT1. However I do use a high dollar Camera (Digital EOS Canon Rebel XTi), and I would like to think the pictures are not something you averagly see, even within the magazine. It has always been my dream to get on the cover, or at least a multi-page feature, but as you mentioned, I don't know if my car is worthy of that.

Here are a couple shrunk/low resolution pics of the high resolution pics I submitted;

(deleted per suggestion)

Last edited by CALL911; 10-23-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good luck Ben, I have no idea what it takes to be worthy of a cover or multi-paged article, but whatever "it" is, Call911 has it and then some, especially coupled with your pics.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Nick.

Will the editors get back with me and let me know even if my car didn't make the mag?
Old 10-23-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I think your car is more than enough to be considered for a cover. And if you make the cover, I will be buying that issue. Your set-up is awesome
Old 10-23-2008, 06:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CALL911
Gee thats great guys, but it has absolutly nothing to do with my post or my questions. SSnister, what all did you submit? Really I am going for the cover, but would be happy with anything.
Since you asked sooooo nicely....

The last time I sent in pics, the first time they actually saw my car @ the GM Nationals in PA in 2001.

They seem to prefer LSx cars, but you might as well give it a shot.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

CALL911 I will be expecting one of those pictures to show up in there sometime they are awesome.

I've been dreaming of getting featured in that mag before I even owned an LS1 car. Now with my engine being redone this winter and having some unique mods I think it will be worth my time to put something together for them this coming year. Again good luck with the camaro!

Last edited by WS6Jim; 10-23-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:34 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

They will only contact you if your article gets printed. Sometimes this has taken over a year.

BTW, you really shouldn't post photos submitted on the internet, Editors hate that. They prefer to be the first to display the images. Here are some suggestions on those three pics. The first one would have been better headed the other direction, the nose is in a shadow. The 2nd one is too dark. The 3rd one is too far away from the vehicle. Zoom in next time. Control the lighting, we use reflectors and such to do this. No shadows on viewed sides of the car. Shoot in sunrise or sunset lighting.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the info. I am hoping I get picked, and I think I have a shot just based upon what I regularly see make the cover and get articles. Most don't have as good of pics, and rarely do they have the mods to the extent I do. But that is up to them to decide. Like I said, these are only a handfull of the many pics submitted, almost all have never been seen before by anyone (especially on the net).

I will delete the pics now from the previous post.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

My buddy mike sold his NBM z28 to somebody who works for GMHTP. Its in the magazine pretty reguarly with them doing upgrades to it. It funny seeing the car in the mag that i helped work on. Also funny seeing them reverse stuff he did to the car like they swapped a m6 back into it. It was hard work swapping it to an auto and the bastards swapped it back lol.(originally an m6 car)
Old 10-25-2008, 12:50 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

My Z28 was in GMHTP for a QTP headers and cut out install article, the article wasn't about my car specifically of course but there were pictures and mention of it. There was also a small photo of the car on the dyno in the back of the issue before that one as well for a little blurb on Brisk spark plugs.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Alright fellas, back to the point of the post, if you have been in GMHTP, please share what you submitted, or how and or why they picked you (if they told you).
Old 10-29-2008, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

CALL911, I got your info and will definitely consider your Z for a feature. What you provided was more than sufficient. I encourage anyone else who thinks they have a feature-worthy late model GM EFI to send pictures and info to: Source Interlink Media, Attn Scott Parker, 365 West Passaic St, Rochelle Park, NJ 07662. You can also email low res pictures (and info) to scott.parker@sourceinterlink.com. Thanks.

Quick Reply: People who have made it in GMHTP magazine, step inside...