Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GM Suspends Future Product Development

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
I don't know.... a bailout "may" be the right answer.... that is IF GM use it wisely.
They squandered billions upon billions, why would anyone give them more?
Old 10-30-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TriShield
Didn't stop Wall Street from getting a 700 billion dollar check.

Just saying....

I personally look forward to the day when I can hire all my unemployeed ex-GM friends to do my yardwork for me. We'll see who bragging about their payrates then.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
I don't know.... a bailout "may" be the right answer.... that is IF GM use it wisely.

Originally Posted by TriShield
Well... I did say IF!!!

But.... I think before the US government would allow the entire US auto industry to fail.... you may find that the auto "bailout" becomes little more than a subsidy...... especially when you consider the banking and AIG bailout(s).

In other words.... I expect to see several bailouts(2 or more) before the US government throws in the towel on the US auto industry.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think any bailout ought to bust 'em up,
into smaller unrelated companies like before
the marques lost all their independent
personality. We need competition and
variety of choices, not a bland monolith
that just plays badge games. Big and
bloated is the problem, big and bloated
and living on loans is not the solution.

Building something you really believe in,
for a customer base you can focus on,
is a more likely way to succeed. Or at
least a better way to die.

Trouble is, without a zillion piece-of-tinfoil
money-losing econoboxes in your product
mix, CAFE will screw the muscle (work or
play) segment.

We need the "open-source automobile".
Old 11-10-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

Give them the loans with "conditions".

You can bet this; The Japanese wouldn't let their #1 automotive company go down the tubes and niether would the Koreans. The people there, and their governments realize the need to support their OEMs...We could learn a lesson in that.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:14 PM
10 Second Club

Exclamation

Originally Posted by TT632
Give them the loans with "conditions".

You can bet this; The Japanese wouldn't let their #1 automotive company go down the tubes and niether would the Koreans. The people there, and their governments realize the need to support their OEMs...We could learn a lesson in that.
Absolutely and 100% TRUE!
In fact, Japan has been 'nurturing' and subsidizing their automotive industry (among other industries) all along. The combination of Sony, Toyota, Panasonic, Honda etc has been called Japan, Inc. for many years now and their is a valid reason for that.
Need help selling cars in your home market? Simple, just charge Japanese citizens $50k for a Malibu and only $20k for a Camry and guess which one they'll buy.

I think it's time for the U.S. to start taxing/tariffing the crap out of import nameplate brand vehicles (and NOT just the ones brought in on boats) just like they do to U.S. nameplate brands in their home nation.
Want a Camry or Accord that badly? Ok, $45k please and the excess cash gets put back into a fund to help pay unemployment and health benefits for unemployed/displaced American auto workers.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:35 AM
TECH Regular

Gotta be careful when you suggest tarrifs. There are ramifications to many far beyond the immediate parties. Example: steel tarrifs to save the jobs of steel workers. Price of foreign steel went up to match the higher price of US steel. Steel industry saved, yay!

What happened next? Let's look at one company in one industry: Caterpillar. An average bulldozer has what, 50,000 pounds of steel in it? An increase in the price of steel really hits them hard. Companies like Caterpillar and those who made large equipment realized it was cheaper for them to close down plants here in the US, build new plants in Europe, hire non-union workers, build the large equipment overseas, and ship them back to the states. Same thing happened with most if not all of the larger farm tractors. Very few of them are made in the US anymore. Sooo...to save steel industry jobs we enacted a steel tarrif that killed off (along with the help of union labor costs) many times more manufacturing jobs.

That being said, if there are cases like Japan imposing massive taxes and tarrifs on products coming in, we should mirror their policies without hesitation or delay.

Back on topic, I hate to see development halted. I understand they are out of money and trying to survive but stopping development to save cash ensures lower revenue in the coming months and years. To me this signals they have given up on planning for a tomorrow and are just trying to survive today...pretty much making the prospect for a tomorrow even darker.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:11 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Awake455
Gotta be careful when you suggest tarrifs. There are ramifications to many far beyond the immediate parties. Example: steel tarrifs to save the jobs of steel workers. Price of foreign steel went up to match the higher price of US steel. Steel industry saved, yay!

What happened next? Let's look at one company in one industry: Caterpillar. An average bulldozer has what, 50,000 pounds of steel in it? An increase in the price of steel really hits them hard. Companies like Caterpillar and those who made large equipment realized it was cheaper for them to close down plants here in the US, build new plants in Europe, hire non-union workers, build the large equipment overseas, and ship them back to the states. Same thing happened with most if not all of the larger farm tractors. Very few of them are made in the US anymore. Sooo...to save steel industry jobs we enacted a steel tarrif that killed off (along with the help of union labor costs) many times more manufacturing jobs.

That being said, if there are cases like Japan imposing massive taxes and tarrifs on products coming in, we should mirror their policies without hesitation or delay.
Good point, it is a potentially slippery slope/fine line that needs to be walked.
Make it direct then...if a base Malibu sells for $45k in Japan then a base Camry sells for $45k in the U.S.
Fair is fair.
And yes, that should apply to a Camry built in Kentucky or Indiana as well as one built in Japan or Thailand.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:41 AM
10 second playa

Originally Posted by Awake455

Poor comparison.
One is a commodity/raw material.
The other is an end user product.
Apples & Oranges.
Tariffs on automobiles would work fine.

Look what Tariffs did for Harley Davidson to help them get back on their feet!
Old 11-12-2008, 12:54 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Poor comparison.
Apples & Oranges.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:57 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Poor comparison.
Apples & Oranges.

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I couldn't agree more. Everyone says that a car made in America is an American car, but when all of the profits go out of the country and our economy, what good are we doing. I understand that Americans are working in the factories, but it's not enough. We should have a 1:1 trade relation. For every 1 car that Toyota wants to sell here, they have to purchase one American car by the big three or pay a premium.

The biggest problem with this country right now is the difference between imported goods verses exported goods, and to correct that, the guy who promised "CHANGE" had better start to do something about it. He campaigned against giving tax breaks to US companies, but without those tax breaks and incentives, we'd be going under at a quicker pace. How about we coincide those tax breaks with tax penalties for NON-American companies to operate and sell in the US.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GM forever.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:42 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
GM forever.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^^^^Agreed!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GM for life.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jmdale1984
It's sad to see GM go. Had to sell my GM stocks last week.

The only way they're gonna survive our current situation, is if American buyers finally realize that it's better for us to spend $22k on an American car than to send $20k to Japan. Sometimes you've gotta suck up your personal loss for the gain of your country. At this rate, we may as well hold up a white flag for Japan to come take over. Our people have no loyalty to ourselves, or they're just plain ignorant.
i agree 100%. say isn't that a honda in your sig???
Old 12-03-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Urban Legend;>_tech_correction_service_bot1<
GM IS forever SCREWED.
Fixed.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Since my father was 18 my family has not owned any product except a chevrolet. I had chrysler in the driveway for 3 months and he told me i better have a chevy soon or the chrysler was getting junked.

We did our part to help.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:59 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad

Wow!

Corvette - we have the new ZR-1
Impala - everything from 30 mpg econo family car to a 5.3
Malibu - new in 2008 -
Cobalt- changed the SS from supercharger to turbo
new unit coming soon
HHR- now offered as a truck even a Supercharged version
Aveo - New for 2009

Trucks - Trailblazer is going
Equalbox is going
Traverse - new for 2009
Tahoe - It's even green
Susburban - sam old same old redesigned 2007?
Silverado - new for 2007

I respect your opinion. Please back-up your post!

Jakes Dad
Colorado - same old same old b ut it get a V8
Everything on that thing is all trash. I wouldn't spend more than 10k on any of those shitboxes.

Corvette and their trucks is all they have.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:49 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
Everything on that thing is all trash. I wouldn't spend more than 10k on any of those shitboxes.

Corvette and their trucks is all they have.

My '06 Cobalt SS runs quite well, here is a link to it.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=57

Car&Driver rates the new turbo Cobalt SS as one of the best small cars you can buy. Here's a pretty cool video of the new Cobalt on the track.
http://www.autojab.com/video-2008-ch...n-nurburgring/ Bob

Quick Reply: GM Suspends Future Product Development