Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Revealed - Nissan GT-R SpecV

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 25psi
I understand, but the trans failure has been over hyped by the same trans failure incident being displaced throughout every domestic forum. Again, when did Nissan ever brag about the car? When did Nissan advertise LC?

The first 5 or so Veyrons had the same trans issue. Being that the GTR/Veyron use similar transmission designs, I think BorgWarner needs to take some of the blame instead of Nissan. BW produced both the GTR and Veyron transmissions.
I bet the Bugg had the tranny replaced under warranty though
The fact that the GTR is the most expensive Nissan leads one to think that the trans should be fixed under warranty.

As far as the Spec-V is concerned, converting the yen to dollars on it put at over 160k which is redunkulous. It shoudl be less than that here, but not by too terribly much. The expensive change is the brake set up, and Nissan debated not using them since there wasn't a huge performance increase.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Something doesn't sound right here. I lost the engine in my ZO6 while at a driving school at VIR over Memorial Day this year. I had it towed to the dealer, and I was totally honest in every aspect of the incident. Mine was a low oil pressure induced failure. A main bearing was definitely involved, because it was audible by the time I got back to the paddock area after seeing the warning and feeling the power loss. The dealer knew all the details, including where I was and what I was doing. The car went back to Bowling Green three days later, and the engine was replaced under warranty. The service at both the dealership and factory was exceptional. They verified that my car was stock, and did a computer scan to verify no tune or other tampering. I was told that if a tune had been detected, the claim would have been denied. Of course, a denied claim is not the end of the process, and the customer might ultimately prevail, but it could be a very big problem. The Museum sponsors its own DE schools, with factory folks in attendance and participating. So again, a denied claim based only on participating in a DE event sounds wrong, assuming the car is stock.

At the time my car was in BG for engine replacement, there were 7 or 8 other ZO6's in line for new engines also. I got rid of the car shortly thereafter, because I could not get any information from the factory about either the problem with my engine, or, if there was a common problem that would have just been repeated in the new motor. But the rate of failures at that time suggested to me that a problem existed. If the larger sump proves to be the fix, and assuming GM and Corvette survive, I may buy another one next year.
So the GTR is not the only car exempt from issues.
The trans is strong enough to hold 100+lc and 600hp, so how is that not strong enough? Eventually it did give way, but that was due to track conditions(read up on it)

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=27273
Am I the only person that sees the glaring contradiction and double-standard? It's ok if you're GTR's tranny breaks under racing conditions but not the Z06? What do you think the guy was doing at a driving school at VIR? I don't think he was learning to parallel park.

Also note the difference in how the situations were handled. Z06 loses engine at a race track, GM replaces engine under warranty. GTR loses transmission after around 20 launches, refuses to replace under warranty citing excessive abuse.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nanokpsi
I bet the Bugg had the tranny replaced under warranty though
The fact that the GTR is the most expensive Nissan leads one to think that the trans should be fixed under warranty.

As far as the Spec-V is concerned, converting the yen to dollars on it put at over 160k which is redunkulous. It shoudl be less than that here, but not by too terribly much. The expensive change is the brake set up, and Nissan debated not using them since there wasn't a huge performance increase.
I agree with it being way to expensive.

Some trans are being replaced under warranty, depending on the outcome of the black box. One of the first occurrences with the trans failure(one being tossed all over net) was a guy who lauched his car 70 times in two days. 30 times at the track and a considerable amount more the very next day street racing.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XxGarbSxX
Am I the only person that sees the glaring contradiction and double-standard? It's ok if you're GTR's tranny breaks under racing conditions but not the Z06? What do you think the guy was doing at a driving school at VIR? I don't think he was learning to parallel park.

Also note the difference in how the situations were handled. Z06 loses engine at a race track, GM replaces engine under warranty. GTR loses transmission after around 20 launches, refuses to replace under warranty citing excessive abuse.
No, GM did not replace his engine under warranty. We're talking about two different people here:

Just for the record My engine blew while on track at a performance driving school and our friends at GM WILL NOT WARRANTY THE ENGINE REPLACEMENT. The warranty language states that they will not cover damage caused while racing or competetive driving. I was not involved in either situation. I was enrolled in a performance driving school that does not teach racing or allow any competition between students. GM refused to review my class enrollment documents, would not inspect my engine or go through its computer info to even find out why or what caused the engine failed. Many dealers told me that I would have been better off if I had lied add told them it happened on the highway. DO NOT TELL GM YOU WERE EVER ON A TRACK! good luck to all others that enjoy track time with their Z's. I understand that they are changing the dry sump to a larger capacity tank for the 09's. Im now considering a Lingenfelter built engine for my GM BLACKBALLED Z06.
There would be an issues if there was not an indication of what lc was intended for. But there is and it is stated in the warranty.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:47 PM
NKAWTG...N

Nissan putting the warranty-less LC on their cars would be like GM voiding the warranty on a ZR1 if you ever went into boost.

Sure there is a supercharger on the car...but you aren't allowed to use it!

Fact of the matter is, if you know it will break the car, and you don't want to warranty it...don't put it on the car!
Old 01-08-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Nissan putting the warranty-less LC on their cars would be like GM voiding the warranty on a ZR1 if you ever went into boost.

Sure there is a supercharger on the car...but you aren't allowed to use it!

Fact of the matter is, if you know it will break the car, and you don't want to warranty it...don't put it on the car!
Horrible analogy .

Read the article a couple pages back when GM denied a warranty clause due to racing.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

No, GM did not replace his engine under warranty. We're talking about two different people here:
Just for the record My engine blew while on track at a performance driving school and our friends at GM WILL NOT WARRANTY THE ENGINE REPLACEMENT. The warranty language states that they will not cover damage caused while racing or competetive driving. I was not involved in either situation. I was enrolled in a performance driving school that does not teach racing or allow any competition between students. GM refused to review my class enrollment documents, would not inspect my engine or go through its computer info to even find out why or what caused the engine failed. Many dealers told me that I would have been better off if I had lied add told them it happened on the highway. DO NOT TELL GM YOU WERE EVER ON A TRACK! good luck to all others that enjoy track time with their Z's. I understand that they are changing the dry sump to a larger capacity tank for the 09's. Im now considering a Lingenfelter built engine for my GM BLACKBALLED Z06.
How convenient for your arguement. I could have sworn that I read the exact opposite of that in your post that I quoted. Hang on, let me go reread that to make sure there's no double-talk going on.
Something doesn't sound right here. I lost the engine in my ZO6 while at a driving school at VIR over Memorial Day this year. I had it towed to the dealer, and I was totally honest in every aspect of the incident. Mine was a low oil pressure induced failure. A main bearing was definitely involved, because it was audible by the time I got back to the paddock area after seeing the warning and feeling the power loss. The dealer knew all the details, including where I was and what I was doing. The car went back to Bowling Green three days later, and the engine was replaced under warranty. The service at both the dealership and factory was exceptional. They verified that my car was stock, and did a computer scan to verify no tune or other tampering. I was told that if a tune had been detected, the claim would have been denied. Of course, a denied claim is not the end of the process, and the customer might ultimately prevail, but it could be a very big problem. The Museum sponsors its own DE schools, with factory folks in attendance and participating. So again, a denied claim based only on participating in a DE event sounds wrong, assuming the car is stock.
No, I definitely sense some double-talk going on.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

How convenient for your arguement. I could have sworn that I read the exact opposite of that in your post that I quoted. Hang on, let me go reread that to make sure there's no double-talk going on.

No, I definitely sense some double-talk going on.
If you read the link that I quoted, you can see its two different people in the discussion .
Old 01-08-2009, 05:32 PM
10 Second Club

$173,061 USD, ouch.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vipretr2
$173,061 usd, ouch.
+10000000000000000
Old 01-08-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This is the first year for the car. Of course issues are bound to happen. Just like the roof incidence, engine failures, rear end, rocker arms, etc... all in the C6Z. But this seems to be overlooked because its an import/gtr .
No. The difference is :
1.) GM warrantied and fixed all their problems, even if the car was track raced.
2.) GM isn't acting like their car is the second comming of Jesus
3.) GM did have to lie about a car being stock to get some pointless laptimes.
If ANYTHING the GTR deserves the negative attention it gets just to counteract the extreme fanboyism it has. Actually this is why the GTR does get so much negative attention, because all the fanboys (like yourself) try to over hype the car too much and defend it to the end as if Nissan could do no wrong.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
No. The difference is :
1.) GM warrantied and fixed all their problems, even if the car was track raced.
2.) GM isn't acting like their car is the second comming of Jesus
3.) GM did have to lie about a car being stock to get some pointless laptimes.
If ANYTHING the GTR deserves the negative attention it gets just to counteract the extreme fanboyism it has. Actually this is why the GTR does get so much negative attention, because all the fanboys (like yourself) try to over hype the car too much and defend it to the end as if Nissan could do no wrong.
Did you even read the post that I quoted? GM DID NOT WARRANTY THAT PERSONS ENGINE. They warrantied another persons car.

GM came out with a service bulletin specifically covering the ZR1, but what is interesting is how they work it in with what they claim is existing GM policy:

"General Motors designed and produced the ZR1 be driven on the roads. While the car is capable of awesome displays of power and speed it was not designed to be "raced". All of the restrictions that are currently in place for all of GM’s products are in place on the ZR1 as well. There are several notations in the warranty booklets that explain that GM may deny warranty coverage if the vehicle or part has failed due to abuse, neglect, improper or insufficient maintenance or modifications not approved by GM.
This includes common "upgrades" customers may make such as wheels, tires, suspension, brakes, air induction and engine calibrations. Please ensure this is covered with the owner when the vehicle is delivered. The ZR1 will perform well in a track environment; however, it was not designed, built or sold as a "track car." If an owner elects to use the car in such a manner, it is outside the intent of the warranty as supplied by General Motors and any damage as a result may not be covered by the GM warranty. Explaining this to a customer before the car is sold may prevent misunderstandings later."

In any event, how they can know that the blown engine was "a result" of an arguable racing activity is difficult to fathom if they haven't taken the engine apart to see why it failed.
That's basically the same warranty claim as Nissan. Do you want me to show the list of engine failures, rocker arm failures and trans failures that where not covered under warranty for the C6Z.

And please show me where Nissan is advertising this car in a demeanor that you're suggesting? Its not Nissans fault that the GTR is achieving supercar status by competing with a surpassing times by cars that cost 2-4 times as much. Blame the magazines.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Did you even read the post that I quoted? GM DID NOT WARRANTY THAT PERSONS ENGINE. They warrantied another persons car.
The dealer did not warrenty the engine for that 1 particular case, NISSAN will not warranty their transmission if launch control is used PERIOD.

That's basically the same warranty claim as Nissan. Do you want me to show the list of engine failures, rocker arm failures and trans failures that where not covered under warranty for the C6Z.
Yes.

And please show me where Nissan is advertising this car in a demeanor that you're suggesting? Its not Nissans fault that the GTR is achieving supercar status by competing with a surpassing times by cars that cost 2-4 times as much. Blame the magazines.
By claiming their 7:29 time was done by a car you could buy off the show room floor. But its more or less the fanboys that are creating the hype. Its a perfectly good car, but the fanboys are ruining it by making it out to be more than it really is.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

The dealer did not warrenty the engine for that 1 particular case, NISSAN will not warranty their transmission if launch control is used PERIOD.

Yes.

By claiming their 7:29 time was done by a car you could buy off the show room floor. But its more or less the fanboys that are creating the hype. Its a perfectly good car, but the fanboys are ruining it by making it out to be more than it really is.
You are a dummy. Nissan will not void the warranty if it is used...PERIOD For the 10th time....If the something where to happen as the result of abuse or neglect, they have the right to deny warranty. Did you not read the quote I showed you. Go on the GTR forums.

GM came out with a service bulletin specifically covering the ZR1, but what is interesting is how they work it in with what they claim is existing GM policy:

"General Motors designed and produced the ZR1 be driven on the roads. While the car is capable of awesome displays of power and speed it was not designed to be "raced". All of the restrictions that are currently in place for all of GM’s products are in place on the ZR1 as well. There are several notations in the warranty booklets that explain that GM may deny warranty coverage if the vehicle or part has failed due to abuse, neglect, improper or insufficient maintenance
The fact that you do not believe the 7:29 claim does not make it false. The fact that not one Z06, 911 or Viper (minus ACR) has beat a GTR around any course that the magazines have provided says it will run those times! Anyways, where are the vids of the C6Z ringtime for the 100th time? GM claimed it ran a 7:42 yet knowone has ever seem it? When you find that particular vid, then you can speak of the GTR.

Toodles,
Old 01-08-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

The fact that you do not believe the 7:29 claim does not make it false. The fact that not one Z06, 911 or Viper (minus ACR) has beat a GTR around any course that the magazines have provided says it will run those times! Anyways, where are the vids of the C6Z ringtime for the 100th time? GM claimed it ran a 7:42 yet knowone has ever seem it? When you find that particular vid, then you can speak of the GTR.

Toodles,
I can't find a video for the Z06, but I can certainly find one for the ZR1. You have to be extremely naive as well as have absolutely no understanding of physics if you think that a car that makes 440hp (hell, let's assume it was underrated and really makes 500hp) and weighs in close to the two-ton (3800lbs I think) mark can keep up on the long *** back straight with a car that makes 638hp and weighs 3300lbs, has a similar drag coefficient, and a higher top speed.

Also, isn't this the very argument that you seemed to be unable to maintain in a mature manner thus causing you to get banned multiple times? A wise man in your position would have shut his mouth long ago. Sticking to your guns regardless of insurmountable evidence to the contrary is not admirable, it is foolish.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can't find a video for the Z06, but I can certainly find one for the ZR1. You have to be extremely naive as well as have absolutely no understanding of physics if you think that a car that makes 440hp (hell, let's assume it was underrated and really makes 500hp) and weighs in close to the two-ton (3800lbs I think) mark can keep up on the long *** back straight with a car that makes 638hp and weighs 3300lbs, has a similar drag coefficient, and a higher top speed.

Also, isn't this the very argument that you seemed to be unable to maintain in a mature manner thus causing you to get banned multiple times? A wise man in your position would have shut his mouth long ago. Sticking to your guns regardless of insurmountable evidence to the contrary is not admirable, it is foolish.
There's nothing that I've voiced that should have me banned ! I have an understanding with Unit. Go cry to him

Anyways, I think you don't have the understanding of physics:

GTR has a better drag coefficient
GTR has better traction
GTR has faster shifting trans
GTR has better tires
etc....

BTW, the GTR makes an advertised 480hp not 440hp. Even so, who cares if its underrated? Many cars where LS1, Cobra etc.....

I won't dwell into another GTR ringtime conspiracy with you, because its been beaten to death. I'll just keep reading about the *** whopping it keeps giving cars that cost 2-4 times as much.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

BTW, there is no confirmed video of the C6Z. That's why I find it so ironic that you can complain about the GTR's time when GM has failed to release a vid for the C6Z
Old 01-08-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

You are a dummy. Nissan will not void the warranty if it is used...PERIOD For the 10th time....If the something where to happen as the result of abuse or neglect, they have the right to deny warranty. Did you not read the quote I showed you. Go on the GTR forums.
If LC is used it is logged in the computer. If the transmission breaks, the computer will be checked and LC will show up. The warranty will be voided. I don't know how much more simple that can get. LC = void warranty.

The fact that you do not believe the 7:29 claim does not make it false.
The only people that actually believe the time are the blind fanboy idiots.
The fact is NO ONE has come even remotely close to that time, the GTR has ran a best of 7:50 without a Nissan official behind the wheel.
http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?vie...D=1&tID=145737
That same driver piloted a C6 Z06 to 7:49, which is much closer to the claimed 7:42 time it ran with Jan behind the wheel.

The fact that not one Z06, 911 or Viper (minus ACR) has beat a GTR around any course that the magazines have provided says it will run those times!
The fact that the GTR is beating these cars by fractions of a second only further proves its time was either not stock, or completely made up.

Anyways, where are the vids of the C6Z ringtime for the 100th time? GM claimed it ran a 7:42 yet knowone has ever seem it? When you find that particular vid, then you can speak of the GTR.
http://www.janmagnussen.com/news.asp?NewsID=1124386515
Translation:
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f64/z...41/#post939436
Old 01-08-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

If LC is used it is logged in the computer. If the transmission breaks, the computer will be checked and LC will show up. The warranty will be voided. I don't know how much more simple that can get. LC = void warranty.

The only people that actually believe the time are the blind fanboy idiots.
The fact is NO ONE has come even remotely close to that time, the GTR has ran a best of 7:50 without a Nissan official behind the wheel.
http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?vie...D=1&tID=145737
That same driver piloted a C6 Z06 to 7:49, which is much closer to the claimed 7:42 time it ran with Jan behind the wheel.

The fact that the GTR is beating these cars by fractions of a second only further proves its time was either not stock, or completely made up.

http://www.janmagnussen.com/news.asp?NewsID=1124386515
Translation:
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f64/z...41/#post939436
I'm telling you, it will not void the warranty if its not abused. I know 3 people with him and I'm on the forums.

The 7:50 time was ran on a damp track while being a "Fahrsicherheit"(I'll let you find out what that word means). I will go ahead and tell you. It means they where not driving the car at its fullest, but getting a feel for the car. Find your own translation:

http://www.sportauto-online.de/test_...8540_14469.hbs
Old 01-08-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm telling you, it will not void the warranty if its not abused. I know 3 people with him and I'm on the forums.

The 7:50 time was ran on a damp track while being a "Fahrsicherheit"(I'll let you find out what that word means). I will go ahead and tell you. It means they where not driving the car at its fullest, but getting a feel for the car. Find your own translation:

http://www.sportauto-online.de/test_...8540_14469.hbs
"A time less than 7:40 is pretty much optimistic, 7:50 shows the true potential of the car."

Quick Reply: Revealed - Nissan GT-R SpecV