Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Revealed - Nissan GT-R SpecV

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ZR1 has a drag coefficient of 0.286 with less frontal area than the GTR. The GTR has a drag coefficient of 0.27. It's a non-factor in this discussion. The faster shifting times are negligible as well. The total amount of time spent shifting in the ZR1 is probably around .75 seconds (I think there were 3 shifts), the GTR probably spent a total of .6 seconds shifting (3 shifts at .2 seconds each). Like I said, shift speed was a non-factor. The fact is that a supposed "500"hp 3800lb car kept up with a 638hp 3300lb car in a straight line. Not happening. The shift speed, drag coefficient, traction, and tires are non-factors in this example.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
"A time less than 7:40 is pretty much optimistic, 7:50 shows the true potential of the car."
IS that concrete (optimistic)? Furthermore, did he drive around the ring for 4-5 months in the GTR perfecting every angle, curve and straight as Suezak did in the GTR. You can't compare a couple of laps to 4-5 months
Old 01-08-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XxGarbSxX
The ZR1 has a drag coefficient of 0.286 with less frontal area than the GTR. The GTR has a drag coefficient of 0.27. It's a non-factor in this discussion. The faster shifting times are negligible as well. The total amount of time spent shifting in the ZR1 is probably around .75 seconds (I think there were 3 shifts), the GTR probably spent a total of .6 seconds shifting (3 shifts at .2 seconds each). Like I said, shift speed was a non-factor. The fact is that a supposed "500"hp 3800lb car kept up with a 638hp 3300lb car in a straight line. Not happening. The shift speed, drag coefficient, traction, and tires are non-factors in this example.
The ZR1 has less power and more weight than the Koeniggisig(sp) CCX and it lapped faster than it. Where's your arguement?
Old 01-08-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 25psi
IS that concrete (optimistic)? Furthermore, did he drive around the ring for 4-5 months in the GTR perfecting every angle, curve and straight as Suezak did in the GTR. You can't compare a couple of laps to 4-5 months
A 3800lbs car with 500hp and street runflat tires did not run 7:29 at the Nurburgring.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by VIPRETR2
$173,061 USD, ouch.
Holy ****.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

A 3800lbs car with 500hp and street runflat tires did not run 7:29 at the Nurburgring.
The difference in weight between the GTR and ZR1 is closer than that on the ZR1 and Koenigsig(sp), yet it beat it.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I highly doubt it was their first time on the Ring. I'm sure they're familiar with the track. You have to be to be able to blitz it at all. And you can only squeeze so much out of each corner. It's not like I can take my car to a track and take a half a second off each corner every time I run. I'll eventually hit a point where I'm hitting a corner as perfectly as I can possibly hit it and no further improvements on time can be made.

Here's a good example for you that should illustrate the concept. Top Gear had Louis Hamilton on their show to drive a car around their track. He had a couple practice runs, then ran the track in 1:44.7. The Stig, who's run that track more than anyone ever, ran a 1.44.4. Same car. You can only squeeze so much out of a car.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

The difference in weight between the GTR and ZR1 is closer than that on the ZR1 and Koenigsig(sp), yet it beat it.
You're missing my argument. I'm not arguing the total lap time. Shift speed, traction, and tires play a very large role in that. What I'm talking about is the BACK STRAIGHT. Straight line. That's it. Your "500"hp 3800lb car is not keeping up with a 638hp 3300lb car in a straight line.

As for your Koenigsegg argument, it likely had no rear spoiler (like it initially did on Top Gear), which would severely hurt its traction and thus its cornering ability, and in turn, its total lap time. But I'm willing to bet money that the Koenigsegg would beat the **** out of the ZR1 on that back straight.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I highly doubt it was their first time on the Ring. I'm sure they're familiar with the track. You have to be to be able to blitz it at all. And you can only squeeze so much out of each corner. It's not like I can take my car to a track and take a half a second off each corner every time I run. I'll eventually hit a point where I'm hitting a corner as perfectly as I can possibly hit it and no further improvements on time can be made.

Here's a good example for you that should illustrate the concept. Top Gear had Louis Hamilton on their show to drive a car around their track. He had a couple practice runs, then ran the track in 1:44.7. The Stig, who's run that track more than anyone ever, ran a 1.44.4. Same car. You can only squeeze so much out of a car.
Ranger ran a 10.9 in a C6Z. I've never driven one, but I can tell you that it wouldn't be close to that time. More likely a 12.xxxxx, like many novice drivers in their cars. Now, if we took Ranger who is familiar with a C6 and me and ran both at the ring, it would be a slaughter. Point is, you have to be familiar with the car, to feel comfortable to take it to the extreme.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

The Koensignnisisnsnggeesgsssn is way too overpowerd for the n-ring. I'm guessing the car also has no drivers aids or ABS. Would you like to be piloting a 800+hp 2800lbs car with street tires around the toughest race track in the world without a safety net?
Old 01-08-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Koensignnisisnsnggeesgsssn is way too overpowerd for the n-ring. I'm guessing the car also has no drivers aids or ABS. Would you like to be piloting a 800+hp 2800lbs car with street tires around the toughest race track in the world without a safety net?
First the GTR is to heavy(which helps in stability in high speeds) now this car is to light. I'm not sure if it has abs or any drivers aid.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

First the GTR is to heavy(which helps in stability in high speeds) now this car is to light. I'm not sure if it has abs or any drivers aid.
Weight hurts high speed stability when cornering (ask Newton). In a strait line on a perfectly flat road, sure it helps, anywhere else, no.
And the Kosensisnigns doesn't have any drivers aids or T/C, or ABS (and apparently not enough downforce). Its not too light, its too powerful.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by VIPRETR2
$173,061 USD, ouch.
May or may not cost less here. I believe we do pay less for the GT-R than the Japanese do. We pretty much pay less for every globally sold car than everyone else does.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Regular

I believe the gtr's 'ring time, not because I think it is as fast as a zr1, but because the zr1 was not run to its full potential. GM left some on the table in anticipation of cars like the v-spec (straight from tom wallace's mouth). This was probably a bad move though because it looks like GM will not be in a position to go back to the ring anytime soon. In addition it appears that nissan spent more time at the 'ring perfecting their time with the gtr than all other cars on the top twenty list put together.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

Where'd you get that drag coefficient for the ZR1 from? I believe it is much higher.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slowscott
I believe the gtr's 'ring time, not because I think it is as fast as a zr1, but because the zr1 was not run to its full potential. GM left some on the table in anticipation of cars like the v-spec (straight from tom wallace's mouth). This was probably a bad move though because it looks like GM will not be in a position to go back to the ring anytime soon. In addition it appears that nissan spent more time at the 'ring perfecting their time with the gtr than all other cars on the top twenty list put together.
Nice reply and totally agree
Old 01-09-2009, 01:38 AM
NKAWTG...N

Ranger ran a 10.9 in a C6Z. I've never driven one, but I can tell you that it wouldn't be close to that time. More likely a 12.xxxxx, like many novice drivers in their cars. Now, if we took Ranger who is familiar with a C6 and me and ran both at the ring, it would be a slaughter. Point is, you have to be familiar with the car, to feel comfortable to take it to the extreme.
Are you implying that Nissan picked a driver that has never driven a GTR before? Please...

The Nissan driver might not have had a billion times around the track. But in this case several thousand are still good.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:50 AM
On The Tree

The GTR reports are so different that it makes sense for people to doubt the time.

Also video's dont prove that car is stock so people doubts are still their.

ACR smoked them both so who cares.

Who knows maybe their lying as well,since I don't have photographs of the engine,suspension etc when it was being driven
Old 01-09-2009, 04:59 AM
Banned Pedophile

Beautiful POS, I never liked them before now. . DAMN YOU JAPANESE NISSAN WORKERS!
Old 01-09-2009, 06:14 AM
TECH Junkie

WHy does everyone harp over the GTR's 'Ring time still? The car (standard GTR) has already proven itself on various, different-styled road courses by several independent testers. It was ALWAYS faster than the Z06... Only the ACR beat it on all tracks/tests, and the 911 GT2 beat in a select few. OF COURSE, it's no ZR-1... Does that even need to be said?

Once again, this, new GTR Spec V is being bashed for the most nit-picking, petty arguments... There's no criticizing its performance yet... The car has not been independently tested yet has it? It may be really slow, it may be really fast, don't speculate TOO hard, maybe just a little... And forget the 'Ring, lol... Those were probably phony (skewed in some way, NOT FAKE lol)... The gap between Z06 and GTR are WAY too large IMO... That's what the independent tests & Porsche's assessment should have settled long ago... It's faster but not by that much (As Nissan would have you think). But at the same time, I can't believe there are still people with the blinders on thinking the C6Z can still take it on a track. lol Not happening... There is MORE than enough data now to know that.

Quick Reply: Revealed - Nissan GT-R SpecV