Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Revealed - Nissan GT-R SpecV

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 87gnx
$175,000 U.S. dollars.Not worth it to me,still.
I don't think it will be this much. The currency is different in Japan. Secondly, even if it where, they are only making 20-30 a month so they should sell either way.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Teching In

LS1 + 200 shot > GTR Spec V

Pocket about a Z06 and another 200 shot +
Old 01-10-2009, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by doozjamann
LS1 + 200 shot > GTR Spec V

Pocket about a Z06 and another 200 shot +
S2K + 200 shot > LS1

Pocket about an LS3 and another 200 shot
Old 01-10-2009, 12:20 PM
11 Second Club

Th e big difference is if you can blow a trans on a Vette and the dealer will fix it under warranty. If you blow a trans on a GT-R the dealer tells you to go screw if you have EVER used launch control. The GT-R trans is rediculously expensive. Check the warranty its true. It was posted on here somewhere.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002_z28_m6
Th e big difference is if you can blow a trans on a Vette and the dealer will fix it under warranty. If you blow a trans on a GT-R the dealer tells you to go screw if you have EVER used launch control. The GT-R trans is rediculously expensive. Check the warranty its true. It was posted on here somewhere.
I suggest you go over to the Corvetteforum and see how many trans, rocker arm and engine failures that where not covered under warranty from GM:

Just for the record My engine blew while on track at a performance driving school and our friends at GM WILL NOT WARRANTY THE ENGINE REPLACEMENT. The warranty language states that they will not cover damage caused while racing or competetive driving. I was not involved in either situation. I was enrolled in a performance driving school that does not teach racing or allow any competition between students. GM refused to review my class enrollment documents, would not inspect my engine or go through its computer info to even find out why or what caused the engine failed. Many dealers told me that I would have been better off if I had lied add told them it happened on the highway. DO NOT TELL GM YOU WERE EVER ON A TRACK! good luck to all others that enjoy track time with their Z's. I understand that they are changing the dry sump to a larger capacity tank for the 09's. Im now considering a Lingenfelter built engine for my GM BLACKBALLED Z06.
GM came out with a service bulletin specifically covering the ZR1, but what is interesting is how they work it in with what they claim is existing GM policy:

"General Motors designed and produced the ZR1 be driven on the roads. While the car is capable of awesome displays of power and speed it was not designed to be "raced". All of the restrictions that are currently in place for all of GM’s products are in place on the ZR1 as well. There are several notations in the warranty booklets that explain that GM may deny warranty coverage if the vehicle or part has failed due to abuse, neglect, improper or insufficient maintenance or modifications not approved by GM. This includes common "upgrades" customers may make such as wheels, tires, suspension, brakes, air induction and engine calibrations. Please ensure this is covered with the owner when the vehicle is delivered. The ZR1 will perform well in a track environment; however, it was not designed, built or sold as a "track car." If an owner elects to use the car in such a manner, it is outside the intent of the warranty as supplied by General Motors and any damage as a result may not be covered by the GM warranty. Explaining this to a customer before the car is sold may prevent misunderstandings later."

In any event, how they can know that the blown engine was "a result" of an arguable racing activity is difficult to fathom if they haven't taken the engine apart to see why it failed.
This is the same warranty clause as the GTR. So your assumptions are wrong...... Next!
Old 01-10-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 25psi
I suggest you go over to the Corvetteforum and see how many trans, rocker arm and engine failures that where not covered under warranty from GM:

This is the same warranty clause as the GTR. So your assumptions are wrong...... Next!
The difference is there are ones that are covered, unlike the GTR where you are SOL no matter what.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Junkie

lol, Um guys, there is no more launch control... You cannot void your GTR's warranty any more that way.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:04 PM
11 Second Club

Obviously if you go the dealer and you say "Yeah I was beating the **** out of it at the track and it broke" They are not going to cover it. Who the hell would cover it. No manufacturer is going to. But think about how many Vettes have been covered when they did fail. you found the few exceptions that were not covered. The GT-R warranty is Void WHEN you use launch control period.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:49 PM
***Repost Police***

I wonder if the Corvette had a black box like the GT-R to see when the car was abused, how many of those repairs would have been covered? Just to pose a question.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think it will be this much. The currency is different in Japan. Secondly, even if it where, they are only making 20-30 a month so they should sell either way.
ummm, yeah, thats roughly the conversion of yen to u.s. dollars.get your facts straight BEFORE you post.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 87gnx
ummm, yeah, thats roughly the conversion of yen to u.s. dollars.get your facts straight BEFORE you post.
Yeah, like that's going to happen.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

s2k + 200 shot > ls1

pocket about an ls3 and another 200 shot
ls1 > s2k
Old 01-10-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S2K + 200 shot > LS1
Sure from a 100 roll maybe . Real races are won with torque i believe.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Launching!

If you blow a trans on a GT-R the dealer tells you to go screw if you have EVER used launch control.
NOT TRUE. Only if the computer recorded a failure WHILE VDC was turned off...you can use launch control all you want in the GTR and then if you break your tranny a month later while VDC is on then your tranny is still covered...
Old 01-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
The difference is there are ones that are covered, unlike the GTR where you are SOL no matter what.
Not true. The transmission is covered under warranty just like any other new car. Only difference is Nissan knows when you beat the **** out of the tranny and they won't cover it IF it breaks while you were abusing it.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bboyferal
lol, Um guys, there is no more launch control... You cannot void your GTR's warranty any more that way.
It is not known yet if LC will be removed or not...most of the news reported were just rumors. I highly doubt they remove it.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Launching!

Obviously if you go the dealer and you say "Yeah I was beating the **** out of it at the track and it broke" They are not going to cover it. Who the hell would cover it. No manufacturer is going to. But think about how many Vettes have been covered when they did fail. you found the few exceptions that were not covered. The GT-R warranty is Void WHEN you use launch control period.
No. The GT-R transmission warranty is void if it breaks WHEN VDC is turned off.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by texas94z
Ummm... An S2K with a 100 shot has enough torque to give an F-body LS1 a hard run...

Why would the S2K not race in its powerband? Do F1 drivers shift or launch at 5k rpm or ever even SEE 5k rpm?
Old 01-10-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RedBeauty84ZX
It is not known yet if LC will be removed or not...most of the news reported were just rumors. I highly doubt they remove it.
The article I read, IIRC, cited a Nissan executive... He went on further that those who did buy the launch-year GTR's would have the added exclusivity and rarity of having the only GTRs ever produced with launch control. Why would he say that off or on the record in that much detail if that was something they might not do? Are you sure?
Old 01-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by texas94z
No. They are not.

Horsepower = acceleration. This is why the LT1 C4 Vettes are significantly faster then the L98 C4 Vettes....both weighed the same and had identical torque numbers but the LT1 made its torque at a higher RPM allowing MORE work(horsepower) to be done with the same amount of force.

Quick Reply: Revealed - Nissan GT-R SpecV