Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Official - GM Starving Pontiac to Death, Ditching Saab, Saturn and HUMMER

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009 | 03:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wow.. I hope the G8 lives as something else. Very cool car.
Old 01-13-2009 | 04:56 AM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Wait, so you liked the Bonneville which was a FWD sloppy barge rental car, but the RWD, classy, sleek sports sedan G8 is off your radar??? You need to adjust the radar to stop picking up grandfather cars and start looking for nice ones...

The G8 is arguably the best Pontiac sedan ever.
You need to adjust your brain to accept that not everyone likes the same look. BTW, what car in my sig is a Grandfather car? I sold all those already.

I'm just not feeling the G8 as a 4-door. Although, I will say that the G8 would have made a cool looking coupe. Bonneville GXP was a much better looking sedan (I like longer 4-door cars), and had it been RWD it would have been perfect.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 01-13-2009 at 06:38 AM.
Old 01-13-2009 | 07:39 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Leave it to GM to get this wrong, I wouldn't expect any less these days.

GMC should go.

Buick should go.

Saturn should stay as it had inroads in a market area GM is weak in...got to think long term...oh wait...it's GM they never think long term...or much at all...beyond next quarter.

The Sky looks so much better from the front than the Sol, I hope the Sol gets a nose job as it badly needs one.
Old 01-13-2009 | 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wait, so you liked the Bonneville which was a FWD sloppy barge rental car, but the RWD, classy, sleek sports sedan G8 is off your radar??? You need to adjust the radar to stop picking up grandfather cars and start looking for nice ones...

The G8 is arguably the best Pontiac sedan ever.

that G8 GXP is & ; I'm just not crazy about 4-door sport cars. Don't get me wrong, it is beautiful, but IDK, i'm just not "there yet".

Basically EVERYTHING is "up in the air" and potentially on the chopping block; wven the new Camaro. The next couple of yrs will, IMO, really define the future of future cars, models, and such. I wouldn't bank on anything right now.
Old 01-13-2009 | 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
The Sky looks so much better from the front than the Sol, I hope the Sol gets a nose job as it badly needs one.
I completely agree with this. In my opinion, the Sky looks 10 times better than the Solstice.

I do feel bad for Saturn and Pontiac, as I think they should just merge and cover the "entry level" vehicle stuff, keeping the Astra/Aura/Sky/Vue and keep the Pontiac G5/G6/G8. My girlfriend just bought a new Astra a few months ago, and it is a pretty nice little car (for what it is). The Aura could be kept or ditched, wouldn't phase me either way. The Vue/Equinox/Torrent are basically the same, so pick one and ditch the others, and the Saturn Outlook reminds me a lot of the new GMC Acadia, so pick one of those also (I prefer Outlook, but whatever). Keeping the Solstice over the Sky just doesn't make that much sense - I'd have to compare the sales volume to judge that decision.

I still don't understand the whole "GMC/Chevy truck" line of thinking. I mean, if they are trying to reduce redundancy, this seems like the FIRST place to start.
Old 01-13-2009 | 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

The ONLY thing wrong with the G8 is the name. They need something more catchy or go with one of the popular old names. A lot of it is just in people's heads. As soon as I have the money, I want a GXP because its a great car for a decent price. I can get past the name
Old 01-13-2009 | 12:24 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by PowershifterNC
The ONLY thing wrong with the G8 is the name. They need something more catchy or go with one of the popular old names. A lot of it is just in people's heads. As soon as I have the money, I want a GXP because its a great car for a decent price. I can get past the name
What I can't get past is the 4 doors. It saddens me that Pontiac's most powerful performance car has 4 doors. That's just not my style.

Pontiac really missed the boat here, they gave us a bland-looking GTO from '04 to '06, but at least it was a coupe. Then, they give us a nice, edgy/sharp looking G8, but it's got too many doors.

G8 styling with GTO door configuration AND the GTO nameplate would have been an awesome car, though. Too bad they missed that ticket.
Old 01-13-2009 | 12:40 PM
Customizing Director

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Chevrolet = passenger cars (no trucks or SUVs)
GMC = all trucks and SUVs
Cadillac = high end cars and SUVs
Thats what I've been saying for the past two years. Buick should be kept, just not in the US.

I am a big fan of the G8, so I hope they keep it as a Chevy. I do like the solstice as well.
Old 01-13-2009 | 12:43 PM
Banned

I hope GM brings back Oldsmobile.

If a brand or product is dropped it's for one simple reason.

No enough units were sold.

If you want a product to stick around do somethng besides take a test drive.

Jakes Dad

I never ever figured out why GM stopped making the 55 through 57 chevy.
Old 01-13-2009 | 12:49 PM
Customizing Director

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
G8 styling with GTO door configuration AND the GTO nameplate would have been an awesome car, though. Too bad they missed that ticket.
Or they could have done a 2-door and 4-door versions. Similar to what Infinity does with the G35/37. I love the G8 as is, but I do agree that a 2-door would be better as I prefer 2-doors
Old 01-13-2009 | 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

What I can't get past is the 4 doors. It saddens me that Pontiac's most powerful performance car has 4 doors. That's just not my style.

Pontiac really missed the boat here, they gave us a bland-looking GTO from '04 to '06, but at least it was a coupe. Then, they give us a nice, edgy/sharp looking G8, but it's got too many doors.

While i agree that a 2 dr would have been better it would have been more costly to design as i don't believe they make a Holden on that platform in 2 dr. Then the demand for 2dr cars in the states isn't as high and less functional and that's not what GM was going for with the G8. They wanted something to replace the Grand Prix. i just think that there wasn't enough demand for a 2dr. to justify the cost
Old 01-13-2009 | 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

You need to adjust your brain to accept that not everyone likes the same look. BTW, what car in my sig is a Grandfather car? I sold all those already.
Alright I meant no offense to you, and the 3 cars in your sig are of course great. But with that said the Bonneville has nothing on the G8, even the base model.

I'm just not feeling the G8 as a 4-door. Although, I will say that the G8 would have made a cool looking coupe. Bonneville GXP was a much better looking sedan (I like longer 4-door cars), and had it been RWD it would have been perfect.
Inside and out IMO its 80s ugly in comparison to the G8. It was using an outdated slush box in an outdated chassis. The interior couldn't really be much worse:

Compared to:

While I agree they should have made a coupe version, the 4 doors looks great and doesn't bother me one bit. Who cares that their most powerful car is a 4 door? Its a world class sports sedan that rightfully competes with the likes of BMW in performance and driving experience. Think about having Corvette-like performance, yet you look behind you to notice a large back seat, two more doors and lots of trunk space, that's awesome. This is one of the things I loved about the 1st gen CTS-V I drove. If you were wearing a blind fold driving (metaphorically) you'd never know it was a sedan because it drove like a proper sports car. But it wasn't trying to be a sports car, it was being the elegant and sophisticated sports sedan that it was built to be. The G8 is no different, but has more muscle car in the place of a little less polish. Im guessing you think the G8 wants to be a sports car, which is not the case.
Old 01-13-2009 | 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

I for one am glad to see saab go, as a more than livid 900 S driver, I couldn't express less satisfaction with them or their product line. Saab may have built airplanes, but I wouldn't trust them to build a quality stool.
Old 01-13-2009 | 06:06 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

But with that said the Bonneville has nothing on the G8, even the base model. Inside and out IMO its 80s ugly in comparison to the G8.....The interior couldn't really be much worse....
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Inside and out, I just like the Bonneville's look better. Again, that's with the as-is G8 sedan. Appearance wise, had Pontiac come up with a 2-door version of the G8 that retained all other styling cues (other than the extra 2 doors), I'm sure I would have liked it better than a '04-'05 GXP Bonneville. As for interior, I've sat in both and I actually prefer the Bonneville interior. I was not really impressed at all with the interior of the G8 GT that I sat in at the '08 NAIAS.

It was using an outdated slush box in an outdated chassis.
No arguement here. I would have loved to see the Bonneville built on a nice, longer [than the G8] RWD structure with an LS1/LS2 under the hood (since no LS3 was available in '04-'05). I just really liked the long, full-sized appearance of the car, which is correct for a luxury sedan. And IMO, the only cars (not counting SUVs) that should have 4 doors are luxury cars or econo-boxes.

Who cares that their most powerful car is a 4 door? Its a world class sports sedan that rightfully competes with the likes of BMW in performance and driving experience. Think about having Corvette-like performance, yet you look behind you to notice a large back seat, two more doors and lots of trunk space, that's awesome.
This is where our disconnect is. I really don't want to look behind me and see a large back seat, two more doors, and/or lots of trunk space when driving a sport/performance car. Those are all things that I like to see in a luxury sedan. Usually, all those considerations (rear seats, cargo space, etc.) cause for some compromise in styling. I'll bet that if the G8 was designed as a coupe, the look that you already love would be even more aggressive and plain badass. Just think about a 1970 Chevelle hardtop coupe vs a 1970 Malibu 4-door. Generally, they are the same car.... but the coupe looks soooooooo much better.

This is one of the things I loved about the 1st gen CTS-V I drove. If you were wearing a blind fold driving (metaphorically) you'd never know it was a sedan because it drove like a proper sports car. But it wasn't trying to be a sports car, it was being the elegant and sophisticated sports sedan that it was built to be. The G8 is no different, but has more muscle car in the place of a little less polish. Im guessing you think the G8 wants to be a sports car, which is not the case.
My view is this: If you want a muscle/performance car, then things like a spacious back seat and large trunk are likely not top on your list of concerns.....styling and performance likely is though. This is why I'd like to see a coupe version. People wanting a 4-door luxury car that also moves should in fact be looking at (and likely would be looking at) something from Cadillac, like the CTS-V, or STS-V.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 01-13-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-13-2009 | 06:32 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
Work truck fleet. They released sales numbers for 2008 and the #1 selling vehicle by volume was the GMC Sierra and #2 was the F150. Who can argue with that.
They are fleet vehicles. I doubt anyone would mind buying a Chevrolet if there were no GMC's around. Have you ever seen a Chevrolet commercial truck dealer?

Originally Posted by 05CherryGXP
Tri-Shield
I disagree, GMC is quite valuable, if you compare a Chevy product to a GMC product, the GMC product typically costs more. When my father was buying work trucks he bought Expresses because they were cheaper than a virtually identical Savannah. As near as I can figure it GMC is the 'pestrige' truck brand. Peel off the Silverado sticker and replace it with a Sierra sticker, mark the price up, sell it and enjoy the larger profit margin. The vehicles are designed by the same people (they're nearly identical half the time), produced on the same lines, so it costs GM little to keep them going.
You may be right that there might not be a reason to cut them if they are making a profit - but if they didn't exist, there are no other "high-end" brands from any manufacturer. They could buy a highly optioned Chevrolet (like a LTZ - or maybe the Denali trim could be given to Chevrolet). That said, They may position GMC to be more like Buick and drop the lower trim levels like SLE as well as the Canyon and Acadia.

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
GM needs to get rid of Buick as well. No sense in keeping that brand, it is just another batch of rebadged and redundant vehicles. The goal is to keep Buick as a mid-level price range between Chevy and Caddy, but they could easily just make a lower priced Caddy or more expensive Chevy and get rid of Buick altogether. I know Buick is more popular in other countries like China, well they can just keep that brand overseas perhaps.

Chevrolet = passenger cars (no trucks or SUVs)
GMC = all trucks and SUVs
Cadillac = high end cars and SUVs

Simple.
I've also thought that there is no need for Buick. If they want to cater to a mid-upper segment, they could make a lower-level Cadillac. With that said, would that compromise the Cadillac brand (remember the Cimmaron)?

I do disagree that the Chevrolet should give up truck and SUV sales to GMC. There is a reason why Chevrolet has it all under one roof.
Old 01-13-2009 | 07:45 PM
***Repost Police***

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Inside and out, I just like the Bonneville's look better. Again, that's with the as-is G8 sedan. Appearance wise, had Pontiac come up with a 2-door version of the G8 that retained all other styling cues (other than the extra 2 doors), I'm sure I would have liked it better than a '04-'05 GXP Bonneville. As for interior, I've sat in both and I actually prefer the Bonneville interior. I was not really impressed at all with the interior of the G8 GT that I sat in at the '08 NAIAS.

Out of curiosity, how old are you?
Old 01-13-2009 | 09:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Out of curiosity, how old are you?
Yes, I am older than you judging by your profile age. But I'm probably not as old as some of you seem to think. Just look at the cars I own.

4 doors = utility or luxury to me, not performance oriented or sport appearance. Just a matter of preference.

I think you might be missing my point. I don't feel that the Bonneville is a better car (in theroy) than a G8, I just think that the Bonneville was a more appropriate sedan than the smaller G8. I would love to see a car that retains most of the G8 styling, but without the extra rear doors.

Again, think '70 Chevelle 2-door vs '70 Malibu 4-door. Same general car, yet the coupe looks so much better (I think 99% of people would agree with that).
Old 01-14-2009 | 12:35 AM
Pontiacerator
20 Year Member

What I can't get past is the 4 doors. It saddens me that Pontiac's most powerful performance car has 4 doors. That's just not my style. Pontiac really missed the boat here, they gave us a bland-looking GTO from '04 to '06, but at least it was a coupe. Then, they give us a nice, edgy/sharp looking G8, but it's got too many doors.
I agree ... it's tough for me to consider a four door. But BMW has made the four door sports sedan a commonplace with numerous great 5-series models going back to the '70's. This car fits that category and does well in it.
Old 01-14-2009 | 02:24 AM
Launching!

Seriously guys, some of you would say scrap GMC over Chevrolet? No offense, but the last 10 years the GMC trucks looked a lot better than the Chevys, and sold better too. Yes we all know they are the same truck, except for front end, rear end, and some slight interior upgrades. But generally, they always looked better. Especially the few times Chevy decided to change the front end/grill on the Silverado, many people disliked it and bought the GMC. Plus look at the Sierra Denali with quadrasteer, very tasteful mods, motor upgrade. If you've owned both in the last 10 years, you know what I am talking about.

Resolution: Keep Sierra truck, Denali, even new Acadia, scrap every other model.

Hands down, the new 2009 Sierra Denali crew cab is the Best looking, driving, performing pickup out there.
Attached Thumbnails Official - GM Starving Pontiac to Death, Ditching Saab, Saturn and HUMMER-denali-2.jpg   Official - GM Starving Pontiac to Death, Ditching Saab, Saturn and HUMMER-denali.jpg   Official - GM Starving Pontiac to Death, Ditching Saab, Saturn and HUMMER-sierra_crew_denali.jpg   Official - GM Starving Pontiac to Death, Ditching Saab, Saturn and HUMMER-interior.jpg  
Old 01-14-2009 | 04:05 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Z Fury
My girlfriend just bought a new Astra a few months ago, and it is a pretty nice little car (for what it is). The Aura could be kept or ditched, wouldn't phase me either way.
The Astra seems like a pretty cool small car, I bet it handles quite well for a basic FWD coupe/sedan.
I love the Aura, great mid size family sedan and good looking car but fortunately the similar Malibu will live on to keep that line going.
I am concerned what will happen to the Saturn/Sky line seeing as both Saturn and Pontiac are going away. Those are great little sports cars (I prefer the looks of the Sky as well btw but I still love both), it'd be a shame to see them both go.

Quick Reply: Official - GM Starving Pontiac to Death, Ditching Saab, Saturn and HUMMER