Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Official - GM Starving Pontiac to Death, Ditching Saab, Saturn and HUMMER

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Tony's line up and have said several times in the recent past that is what should happen. Bring the G8 to Chevrolet and get rid of the stupid alpha-numeric name. That is an Impala-Grand Prix-Cutlass-Skylark-Gran Sport-Biscayne-Caprice-Tempest-Chevelle........just pick one of the big car names from the past and use it.
The Sky should come to Chevrolet as the new Monza or Vega.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:34 AM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think people may shy away from "Vega." That's like Ford calling the new Focus the "Pinto."
Old 01-14-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i agree that GMC should stay but in LIMITED models. Sierra/Denali and Acadia. Only GMC truck i'd own is the Denali and the Acadia's are NICE and see ALOT of them on the road. Sky should come over as a Chevy model and so should the G8. It'll be an interesting few years when this all starts to happen Since Pontiac will be starved to death i bet we'll see a Buick Trans Am WS6 before long
Old 01-14-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
The Astra seems like a pretty cool small car, I bet it handles quite well for a basic FWD coupe/sedan.
I love the Aura, great mid size family sedan and good looking car but fortunately the similar Malibu will live on to keep that line going.
I am concerned what will happen to the Saturn/Sky line seeing as both Saturn and Pontiac are going away. Those are great little sports cars (I prefer the looks of the Sky as well btw but I still love both), it'd be a shame to see them both go.
The Astra does quite well, although I think it isn't geared the best in "automatic" trim (you're in 4th gear at around 35 mph, if not a bit sooner). It is a "foreign" car though, so there are some subtle changes to get use to. She has about 4300 miles on it in 3 months, and it seems to be running smoother now - all in all a solid little car for what it is.

I agree with the Malibu surviving at the expense of the Aura. There is so much redundancy in the GM stable that I overlook some of the more obvious ones...

Originally Posted by ColeTrains'96Z28
Since Pontiac will be starved to death i bet we'll see a Buick Trans Am WS6 before long
I guess a "Buick Firehawk" would be just as fitting as the Firehawk G8...
Old 01-14-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Z Fury

I guess a "Buick Firehawk" would be just as fitting as the Firehawk G8...
A GNX Firehawk would be more worthy than a G8 Firehawk. I'm not saying it would be worthy, just closer to be being worthy.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SOMcockySS
Seriously guys, some of you would say scrap GMC over Chevrolet? No offense, but the last 10 years the GMC trucks looked a lot better than the Chevys, and sold better too. Yes we all know they are the same truck, except for front end, rear end, and some slight interior upgrades. But generally, they always looked better. Especially the few times Chevy decided to change the front end/grill on the Silverado, many people disliked it and bought the GMC. Plus look at the Sierra Denali with quadrasteer, very tasteful mods, motor upgrade. If you've owned both in the last 10 years, you know what I am talking about.

Resolution: Keep Sierra truck, Denali, even new Acadia, scrap every other model.

Hands down, the new 2009 Sierra Denali crew cab is the Best looking, driving, performing pickup out there.

that's about how i feel. our '98 Silverado hasn't lost its appeal to me, but for 99+ models, i'll take the GMC especially the '05+ models.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:10 PM
10 Second Club

Cool

Originally Posted by SOMcockySS
Hands down, the new 2009 Sierra Denali crew cab is the Best looking, driving, performing pickup out there.
That's a fine lookin' truck.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Inside and out, I just like the Bonneville's look better. Again, that's with the as-is G8 sedan. Appearance wise, had Pontiac come up with a 2-door version of the G8 that retained all other styling cues (other than the extra 2 doors), I'm sure I would have liked it better than a '04-'05 GXP Bonneville. As for interior, I've sat in both and I actually prefer the Bonneville interior. I was not really impressed at all with the interior of the G8 GT that I sat in at the '08 NAIAS.
You are definitely part of the minority then. While the Bonneville's interior is functional it's painful to look at, it makes you feel like you are in a rental car from the 80s. The G8's interior on the other hand makes you feel like you are at least driving something worth while.
No arguement here. I would have loved to see the Bonneville built on a nice, longer [than the G8] RWD structure with an LS1/LS2 under the hood (since no LS3 was available in '04-'05). I just really liked the long, full-sized appearance of the car, which is correct for a luxury sedan. And IMO, the only cars (not counting SUVs) that should have 4 doors are luxury cars or econo-boxes.
You seem to be stuck in the 60s.
To me a "long, full sized appearance" usually means a boring, overweight car. Long front overhangs are an absolute appearance nightmare, which the Bonneville seems to suffer from. Example, look at the nasty front overhang on the DTS compared to the overhang on the CTS.

More often than not the typical 90s and older "long, full sized" American sedan has lots of wasted space that could have been trimmed down for weight savings and better aerodynamics.

This is where our disconnect is. I really don't want to look behind me and see a large back seat, two more doors, and/or lots of trunk space when driving a sport/performance car. Those are all things that I like to see in a luxury sedan. Usually, all those considerations (rear seats, cargo space, etc.) cause for some compromise in styling.
Your looking at it wrong. Its a luxury/sports sedan first, a muscle car/performance car second. This is no way is trying to replace the typical two door performance coupe, but rather its just another class of vehicle. And rightfully so the styling should be compared to other cars of its class (other sports sedans, not coupes). Think of it like a cheaper CTS with a V8.

I'll bet that if the G8 was designed as a coupe, the look that you already love would be even more aggressive and plain badass. Just think about a 1970 Chevelle hardtop coupe vs a 1970 Malibu 4-door. Generally, they are the same car.... but the coupe looks soooooooo much better.
Apples to oranges.

My view is this: If you want a muscle/performance car, then things like a spacious back seat and large trunk are likely not top on your list of concerns.....styling and performance likely is though.
Agreed. But again you are looking at it wrong. This car is in no way trying to replace the 2 door coupe in your garage, but rather its providing a great comfortable daily driver without compromising performance. While their performance might be similar, they should not be compared because they are of a different class. This car is for someone looking for a 4 door sports sedan, not a 2 door coupe.
This is why I'd like to see a coupe version. People wanting a 4-door luxury car that also moves should in fact be looking at (and likely would be looking at) something from Cadillac, like the CTS-V, or STS-V.
Both of which are far more expensive than even the top of the line G8 GXP. Let me ask you, do you have a problem with the CTS-V? Does it bother you that Cadillac's fastest car is a 4 door?
Old 01-15-2009, 06:18 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You are definitely part of the minority then. While the Bonneville's interior is functional it's painful to look at, it makes you feel like you are in a rental car from the 80s. The G8's interior on the other hand makes you feel like you are at least driving something worth while.
I just can't agree with this. The materials in the G8 did not feel or look any nicer to me than the Bonneville GXP's. Just different taste I guess.

You seem to be stuck in the 60s.
Thank you (seriously). Dozens of beautiful domestic cars were built in the '60s, these days I can count on one hand how many domestic cars look really good to me.

To me a "long, full sized appearance" usually means a boring, overweight car. Long front overhangs are an absolute appearance nightmare, which the Bonneville seems to suffer from. Example, look at the nasty front overhang on the DTS compared to the overhang on the CTS.
I have no issues with an overhang on a 4-door car, nor does weight bother me (so long as it's offset with some extra power).

More often than not the typical 90s and older "long, full sized" American sedan has lots of wasted space that could have been trimmed down for weight savings and better aerodynamics.
Again, these are not concerns to me on a 4-door luxury car.

Your looking at it wrong. Its a luxury/sports sedan first, a muscle car/performance car second. This is no way is trying to replace the typical two door performance coupe, but rather its just another class of vehicle. And rightfully so the styling should be compared to other cars of its class (other sports sedans, not coupes). Think of it like a cheaper CTS with a V8.
I understand the concept of a sport sedan, for people that "want it all" from one car, but I just don't share that desire. I'd much rather have a coupe whenever possibile.

Apples to oranges.
How? The A-body cars of the '60s/'70s were all the exact same cars under the skin, other than the fact that you could have 2 or 4 doors. These were mid-sized cars in their day (just like the G8 is today). The coupes always looked better (opinion yes, but nearly ANYONE would agree with this). So I think it's safe (and fair) to say that a G8 coupe based on the same general style of the sedan pictured in this thread, would look better.

Agreed. But again you are looking at it wrong. This car is in no way trying to replace the 2 door coupe in your garage, but rather its providing a great comfortable daily driver without compromising performance. While their performance might be similar, they should not be compared because they are of a different class. This car is for someone looking for a 4 door sports sedan, not a 2 door coupe.
I think we're debating two different issues here. You're trying to sell me on the concept of a sport sedan.....I'm just trying to explain why I don't like the car personally....and what it would take to get me to like it. Remember, this debate started with me stating that Pontiac was off MY radar. That's just my personal preferance, because why the hell would I even consider a G8 4-door when I don't need or want 4-doors, and I can get the same performance and more muscular appearance out of a '10 Camaro SS, for the same price or less? Answer: I can't. Hence the reason why Pontiac is off the table for me.... if I buy something new, I can get much closer to what I want from Chevy, so that's where I'll go. If Pontiac had offered a G8 coupe, then I'd weigh that heavily against the Camaro before making a decision.

Both of which are far more expensive than even the top of the line G8 GXP. Let me ask you, do you have a problem with the CTS-V? Does it bother you that Cadillac's fastest car is a 4 door?
Not at all. It's a Cadillac, and although Cadillac used to offer a wide range of 2-door cars, they've never had a primary image of sport or performance....but rather luxury. Just so happens that they're now adding some ***** to the luxury. Pontiac on the other hand was supposed to have more of a "performance" image, or at least GM has stated this in the past. I just think that the Pontiac brand would be better served by having a world class, aggressive appearing and category leading performance car with a 2 door option. Solstice does not fit that description at all, IMO.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 01-15-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember my dad always telling me back in 2002 that Pontiac wont live another 10 years. Guess he was right.

Their marketting has always sucked for just about any brand. The brands that are moved the most are the ones that are advertised the most. Anyone outside of the car world would have no idea what a G8 is. Same could be said with the modern GTO, but even badging it a GTO was a mistake in the first place and lack of options was a poor mistake.

I honestly don't see GM living past 10 years from now if they keep going in the direction they are going. Funny thing is that everything people bitch and moan about the similarities about the Pontiacs with the nose and that is happening with the Chevy lineup, but apparently it is totally different. If you want to see what a Chevy G8 will look like, you probably don't have to look much further than the front and rear end of a Malibu. Instead of the grill being verticle it is going to be horizontal.

Also for the record, I would so rock a Bonnie GXP just like you RPM WS6. Don't know what it is but the car has always kind of appealed to me. Even if it has a "rental" car type of interior, which I would guess that comes down to any car with some sort of leather or vinyl layers on it.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

For you RPM WS6 it's what a 2 door G8 coupe would have looked like. It's in Holden form but you get the idea.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

damn thats sexy. I don't understand people hating on the g8s. They are a great car inside and out, their only problem being lack of movement sales wise. Part of that may be their pricing, but quality isn't cheap.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:28 PM
***Repost Police***

The problem is it's too late. There's been too long of a pattern of mediocre offerings for people to jump right back into bed with the Big 3. It's gonna take time.

Quick Reply: Official - GM Starving Pontiac to Death, Ditching Saab, Saturn and HUMMER