Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

OMG! America can make decent sedans

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Ahhh, and therein lies the rub.

So often when confronted by those who go off on people for buying their Toyotas/Hondas/BMWs/Mercedes, the response from those owners is all too often "yeah, well, it was made in Kentucky, Ohio, South Carolina, Alabama etc so it's ok, I actually did buy an American car, see".
Yet when the quality/reliability of these very same vehicles gets questioned then all of a sudden the response is "well, it's made in the U.S. so what do you expect".
Quite interesting that the very same answer can be utilized in response to two entirely separate criticisms...how convenient.
Ya can't have it both ways bro.
The whole Japanese assembly plant vs. German assembly. vs. Mexican assembly plant difference in quality is pretty much bunk. If you have been to an assembly plant in Japan, the US, or Mexico, there is almost no difference. 95% of the time, sub-component failure is what typically is at fault when there is an issue. I have worked in an Engineering capacity, conducting comparative studies for an American and a Japanese OEM and can speak to this first hand, not from internet rumor.

There is no hard data that shows a plant in Japan vs. a plant in the US producing the same vehicle yields a vehicle of better quality. If this data does exist, it is held by the OEMs and is not likely available for your review. Show me the data if you can find it, and survey research by JD powers doesn't cut it. I’ve conducted correlation studies on the same vehicles being assembled in Japan and the US, and final results were within normal vehicle to vehicle variation. I’ve conducted a similar study on a vehicle that was being produced in Mexico vs. a US plant that yielded the same results. Prejudices slanted against the ability of American workers are behind this attitude and I'm sure against Mexican assembled vehicles also (No one can install a bolt like a German though!). Foreign car advocates typically perpetuate these myths for whatever warped reason they have.

Last edited by TT632; 02-19-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Yeah, Saturn was STARTED by GM (I don't know how anybody doesn't know that), and it wasn't a "Saturn commercial." There are several of them, about several different GM cars.
Actually a few people were confused because when the Tennessee plant was started back in the 80's it was a non union plant. Which of course = non American plant in most people's minds. But yes there are people out there that think Saturn was really a Japanese company at one point. I know of two people personally. Thankfully they know nothing of the automotive business in general, and will admit it.

Quick Reply: OMG! America can make decent sedans