A little silver lining.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"This month", always qualifiers.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

Tomatoe-Tomato, Its still good news none the less.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TriShield
"This month", always qualifiers.
Just like your comments, always a anti GM qualifier added. Your continuing pessimistic comments and posts with respect to everything GM amaze me, especially considering your a Mod on GM oriented site! If you posted anything that was positive about GM and Chevrolet, more than 10% of the time, I would cash out my retirement and buy a Mercedes.

I think I'll go hop on the Supra site. Comments are the same! and it's interesting to hear the support they give to a company that disolved their favorite product a decade ago.

Last edited by TT632; 03-16-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Good grief.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Its a "glass half empty/half full" scenario. On one hand, they are doing good enough to not need a handout this month. On the other hand, they needed a lot of money already, and they still haven't established a business model that will allow them to operate without future handouts. Its not a great scenario, but I'll view that with quiet optimism.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TT632
Just like your comments, always a anti GM qualifier added. Your continuing pessimistic comments and posts with respect to everything GM amaze me, especially considering your a Mod on GM oriented site! If you posted anything that was positive about GM and Chevrolet, more than 10% of the time, I would cash out my retirement and buy a Mercedes.

I think I'll go hop on the Supra site. Comments are the same! and it's interesting to hear the support they give to a company that disolved their favorite product a decade ago.
I like GM cars and have done my part owning them and buying them new my entire driving life. I also don't live in a dream world regarding GM, the reality of how the company is run isn't pretty. It also can't exist as it has and expect to be viable.

All GM is doing with this news is playing a PR game as best they can considering how unpopular continued bailouts are becoming. They will get the money later.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TT632

He's a realist apparently, as am I. Personally, I tend to agree with the majority of TriShield's posts. Sorry that it struck a nerve, but we talk about
real world issues here. It's not a place to blow sunshine up each others asses. We are all pulling for GM. Don't think for a second that we aren't.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:17 PM
***Repost Police***

I don't think the country would be right without a C7 (and C8 and C9 and C10), and I would love to be able to have honest and deserved pride in American car companies. So I hope the Big 3 come out of this with a HUGE lesson learned, and turn onto the right track.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ I hope for this as well, but the question remains, have they taken things too far where they can't pull out of it. Sometimes you dig a hole too deep and you can't fill it back in. And at what expense to the tax payers? Personally I voted against all the bailouts, unfortunately my representative didn't listen to my voice or anyone else's.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Banned

When monthly sales show GM selling 35 to 55% fewer vehicles this year then last. How long do you think it will take before GM, and others, ask for more money?

JD
Old 03-17-2009, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

There's no way GM got 2 Billion dollars worth of good PR out of saying no to this month's loan. They should have taken the cash and pulled every stalled and suspended program ahead. It would have served them infinitely more.

Imagine what 2 Billion dollars could do to Cadillac. Or a new Impala to compete with the new Taurus.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sinner
There's no way GM got 2 Billion dollars worth of good PR out of saying no to this month's loan. They should have taken the cash and pulled every stalled and suspended program ahead. It would have served them infinitely more.

Imagine what 2 Billion dollars could do to Cadillac. Or a new Impala to compete with the new Taurus.
No one should ever take a loan they don't need. If after crunching the numbers and laying off as many people as they have they saw they didn't need the second installment of their 3 part loan, then I applaud them for denying it. They want gov't help about as much as we want them to have it folks, but the reality is they need it, and them going under WILL cost more for us tax payers long term.

As for your Impala, it's coming in 2011 along with the Cruze. Should be unveiled later this year or at next years Detroit Auto Show.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kain01
No one should ever take a loan they don't need. If after crunching the numbers and laying off as many people as they have they saw they didn't need the second installment of their 3 part loan, then I applaud them for denying it. They want gov't help about as much as we want them to have it folks, but the reality is they need it, and them going under WILL cost more for us tax payers long term.

As for your Impala, it's coming in 2011 along with the Cruze. Should be unveiled later this year or at next years Detroit Auto Show.
Impala got pushed back to 2013. The short wheel base FWD model that's being built at Oshawa in 2011 won't be the Impala.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jon5212
^^^ I hope for this as well, but the question remains, have they taken things too far where they can't pull out of it. Sometimes you dig a hole too deep and you can't fill it back in. And at what expense to the tax payers? Personally I voted against all the bailouts, unfortunately my representative didn't listen to my voice or anyone else's.
Agreed with the bailouts. While it seemed like a good idea to the general public to save GM (a company that employs a crapton of people to help save this downward spiral of job losses) but you have to think how they will get out of this mess, they won't. We should have just let them file bankruptcy and they would be rid of the UAW.

If we were here at March 18, 2009 with not giving them a bailout where would they be at? reforming and probably be a ways into it as well. But they are still stuck at the same position they were at when they filed. Its sad to see...
Old 03-18-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sinner
Impala got pushed back to 2013. The short wheel base FWD model that's being built at Oshawa in 2011 won't be the Impala.
Yeah I forgot they had to cancel all plans to throw it on the Zeta platform, bah I hate fwd.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Regular

I agree a PR stunt at best because GM will still need loans in order to survive as long as people aren't buying new cars.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 95zpro
I agree a PR stunt at best because GM will still need loans in order to survive as long as people aren't buying new cars.
Yes they will still need money. The first loan they got came in three installments, this was merely the second installment of the first loan, they have another 2B coming, unless they see that they don't need that one as well. Regardless Bush's admin only gave them enough money to pawn them off on Obama, so yes they will need more, Ford and Chrysler will too. Fortunately if they can make it to 2010 when the new UAW contract takes effect they will be able to start competing with Toyota in profits since the UAW is finally stepping up and taking responsibility for some of the benefits they offer the Big 3's employees.

Quick Reply: GM won't seek more Goverment money