Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Ford to cut wages in UAW deal

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 11:41 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
First off, I doubt any person actually paints any cars at any automated assembly plant. Robots do that. Second, how much do you make a year and what do you do?
Obviously you've never been in an assembly plant. Most of the plants only have automated machines piecing together the body. There are a few here and there. Now the paint is done by hand, or at least it was at the plant I worked at. KCAP In fact, that was one of the prides was how accurate our painters were, they got the thickness of the paint damn near perfect every time.

I my self was laid off from Ford, so now I make my unemployment, which thank GOD is enough to pay my house payment. The old lady catches the rest ( TSA Supervisor ). I was making 24/hour plus benefits, but now that I'm going to school to become a web developer I will be able to make way more way easier!
Old 03-12-2009, 11:47 PM
Launching!

Anyone who says that that kind of work is easy has never done it. The actual task at hand may be easy, hell pulling the motor out of an F-body is easy, it just takes time. It's just the conditions, think summer time, 100degree+ day. Then walk into the plant where there's tons of machinery, no A/C and a line that never stops. Oh yeah, you think it cools off at nite, wrong! It's actually hotter in the plant at nite. Honestly, Union Auto Workers deserve their pay, and I know that sounds totaly biased coming from one. THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IS THE **** THE UNION AUTO WORKER GET AWAY WITH. TRUST ME I KNOW!!!!
Old 03-13-2009, 12:08 AM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$24/hr... unskilled labor. 40hr week (and the ****-ton of overtime that many UAW workers take advantage of), 50 weeks a year. That's $48k a year. The question is, is that really a deserved wage?
Old 03-13-2009, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I call bullshit on a person painting the cars. Maybe back in the day, but I highly doubt now a days. There are to many cars coming off the line for a guy even 20 guys to sit there and paint every car.

Then again , maybe this is why my roof is starting to bubble....
Old 03-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Launching!

Well, consider there's over 4000 people that work there and it's not hard. Trust me, people do the painting. I've seen it.... I really don't know of any fully automated plants in America. Thank god too, they keep a lot of us Americans employed. Just talked to my buddy who works in paint and he told me the bumpers come painted so the only thing that gets painted are the doors and body.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:32 AM
Launching!

$24/hr... unskilled labor. 40hr week (and the ****-ton of overtime that many UAW workers take advantage of), 50 weeks a year. That's $48k a year. The question is, is that really a deserved wage?
I don't know, do football players deserve 6mill/year??? No, does a person who spends 50hrs/week (that's what we worked) inside a plant breathing in dust from the last 70years, chemicals, work hazards deserve it..... YES

48k isn't **** if you ask me. Hell I ernded that before I got laid of at the beginning of November, the fact is most of the people who buy the product are the employees themselves. When I travel I rarely see as many Ford's as when I'm at home. When you take the 48k/year down to 30k on people who already have homes, car payments, kids...That really hurts people. You must not be a parent or home owner because you don't have any understanding of what that does.

In the end paying people even 60k isn't **** for what Ford is actually earning. It's not the UAW auto worker that put the big 3 where they're at. It's over spending on stuff that's not needed. When are we going to see the Chevy SS???? Wastefull spending by the masses.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't make anywhere near 48K take home salary and I have a house, 2 car payments and I do just fine. You can thank the CEO's and their corporate shenanigans as well as the UAW for this mess.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Zac_Speed
48k isn't **** if you ask me. Hell I ernded that before I got laid of at the beginning of November, the fact is most of the people who buy the product are the employees themselves. When I travel I rarely see as many Ford's as when I'm at home. When you take the 48k/year down to 30k on people who already have homes, car payments, kids...That really hurts people. You must not be a parent or home owner because you don't have any understanding of what that does.
You say you only make 48K/year, but I call BS. Are you counting the free health care you get? A lot of people, myself included, have to take a pay deduction (cafeteria plan) to cover at least a portion of our health care costs. How about the annuity/pension contributions the company is making for you? I think your "earnings" are far higher than the 48K you are claiming.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ +1. I have pay part of my health care, I actually stopped putting money into my 401K because I was LOSING money out of it lol, I'm just putting the equal amount into savings.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z Fury
You say you only make 48K/year, but I call BS. Are you counting the free health care you get? A lot of people, myself included, have to take a pay deduction (cafeteria plan) to cover at least a portion of our health care costs. How about the annuity/pension contributions the company is making for you? I think your "earnings" are far higher than the 48K you are claiming.
Don't talk about **** you don't know about. I don't know of anyone who gets FREE health care. You're an idiot for even posting something like that. Our health care was deducted from our check, and it's also some shitty care might I add. I don't know of too many people with health insurance who had to pay 50 bucks for a dr. visit. Don't ever tell me I get free health care, you're a fool. Let's not even get strated on they're dental coverage(****).

Ford doesn't put anything into a pension anymore and hasn't for years. Must be nice to talk about **** you have no clue about.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jon5212
^^^ +1. I have pay part of my health care, I actually stopped putting money into my 401K because I was LOSING money out of it lol, I'm just putting the equal amount into savings.

I think everyone is losing their asses on stuff like that right now.

EVERYONE HAS TO PAY FOR HEALTH CARE. DUH
Old 03-13-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't talk about **** you don't know about. I don't know of anyone who gets FREE health care. You're an idiot for even posting something like that. Our health care was deducted from our check, and it's also some shitty care might I add. I don't know of too many people with health insurance who had to pay 50 bucks for a dr. visit. Don't ever tell me I get free health care, you're a fool. Let's not even get strated on they're dental coverage(****).

Ford doesn't put anything into a pension anymore and hasn't for years. Must be nice to talk about **** you have no clue about.
I am the controller (read: head of the accounting department) for a union electrical subcontractor - I'd like to think I know a bit about unions. Union electricians don't pay a dime for their medical premiums or their pension and annuity funds, that comes out of the company's pocket, as mandated by the unions. That is why I asked if you considered those numbers. Even though a union electrician is making $31/hour, their "free" benefits rack that pay up closer to $46/hour.

I understand your tone of defense. I'm betting very few people will stand up and admit that they are overpaid for what they do, but to adamantly defend something with such a skewed pay:skill/risk ratio is why you are being attacked the way you are.

EVERYONE HAS TO PAY FOR HEALTH CARE. DUH
I'm not talking about office visits/prescriptions/co-pays/etc. I'm talking about the medical PREMIUMS - the cost of the coverage.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by PopaPork
I call bullshit on a person painting the cars. Maybe back in the day, but I highly doubt now a days. There are to many cars coming off the line for a guy even 20 guys to sit there and paint every car.

Then again , maybe this is why my roof is starting to bubble....
I would have to agree. I know that the BMW plant in South Carolina has an automated painting system for the Z4. I saw this on that show "Ultimate Factories" on National Geographic. I'm pretty sure the Bowling Green Corvette factory also automates the paint process.

Either way, if someone is still painting manually, perhaps this is why there isn't much consistency in some paint jobs.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You're obviously not very smart are you. I'll give you some reasons why.
1. Your name is 88blackgt, which means you've got a 5.0 and are on a GM website. No offense to anyone with a mustang with over 300hp.

2. I don't know too many highschoolers who can paint a car just because they have a 4.0 grade average.

3. I doesn't take advertising in racing or on tv to sell cars anymore. DUH

4. You don't know the real meaning of the word "Dense".

5. only 3% of the prototypes made have anything to do with actual real world ****, the rest is just to show off skills and new concepts, which at a time like this is a waste of money.

6. When you say train a monkey you sound retarded. They're Chimps, the closest animal geneticly to a homosapian.

Maybe you should graduate highschool before you get on a forum with adults little boy.
lol lame personal attacks and an attempt to argue semantics(a failed one at that)

bottom line is you're unskilled labor. go get a degree and earn that money. plenty of people live on much less; deal with it. consider the money you earned a gift, because you were overpaid.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z Fury
I am the controller (read: head of the accounting department) for a union electrical subcontractor - I'd like to think I know a bit about unions. Union electricians don't pay a dime for their medical premiums or their pension and annuity funds, that comes out of the company's pocket, as mandated by the unions. That is why I asked if you considered those numbers. Even though a union electrician is making $31/hour, their "free" benefits rack that pay up closer to $46/hour.

I understand your tone of defense. I'm betting very few people will stand up and admit that they are overpaid for what they do, but to adamantly defend something with such a skewed pay:skill/risk ratio is why you are being attacked the way you are.

I'm not talking about office visits/prescriptions/co-pays/etc. I'm talking about the medical PREMIUMS - the cost of the coverage.

+1- It's refreshing to see someone on this site comment from actual experience on the inside.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TT632
+1- It's refreshing to see someone on this site comment from actual experience on the inside.
Thank you, sir.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know, do football players deserve 6mill/year??? No, does a person who spends 50hrs/week (that's what we worked) inside a plant breathing in dust from the last 70years, chemicals, work hazards deserve it..... YES
ahem... yes they do deserve that money. All of the money generated from sponsorships, commercials, advertising... the millions of people willing to pay$60 for seat to watch and 10's of millions willing to watch on their TV's. Their job employs more people than you'll ever know... how many people are willing pay $60 bucks to watch you work for the UAW??? ...(silence)...(crickets chirping).....

48k isn't **** if you ask me. Hell I ernded that before I got laid of at the beginning of November, the fact is most of the people who buy the product are the employees themselves. When I travel I rarely see as many Ford's as when I'm at home. When you take the 48k/year down to 30k on people who already have homes, car payments, kids...That really hurts people. You must not be a parent or home owner because you don't have any understanding of what that does

oh so people should be paid more automatically because they have a house, car payments, kids, and credit card bills? that's a great philosophy

In the end paying people even 60k isn't **** for what Ford is actually earning. It's not the UAW auto worker that put the big 3 where they're at. It's over spending on stuff that's not needed. When are we going to see the Chevy SS???? Wastefull spending by the masses.
Lots of people are to blame for where the big 3 are... the UAW is certainly one of them, you can't go acting like their innocent. During the summers i was back from college, I worked for the water company (here in st. louis where apparently we want to see ford plants close like you mentioned earlier) I was in the union and I saw the flaws. While working there some of the guys worked at the chrysler plant here, they told me of the 3 guys that got caught smoking mary jane on the job and got fired. 6 months later the union gets them their job back because they weren't specifically told that they can't smoke weed on the job. Not only do they get their job back, they got backpay plus interest!! Please share with me why the UAW is not at fault for bleeding the big 3 dry?? Don't tell me about management and why they suck and how much wasteful spending there is and blah blah blah... that's not what this thread is about. You criticize me for calling you a moron, which I'll admit was little over the edge on my part, but then you start calling everyone else whose posts disagree with your view an "idiot." Quit being a hypocrite and try posting some useful information, otherwise you are being a moron
Old 03-13-2009, 06:15 PM
***Repost Police***

What the company pays you has absolutely jack **** to do with what they sell overall... YOUR job as an unskilled laborer is unworthy of $24/hr. You complain about having kids to feed blah blah blah, well if you were actually SKILLED at something you could get a job that deservingly pays more.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

What the company pays you has absolutely jack **** to do with what they sell overall... YOUR job as an unskilled laborer is unworthy of $24/hr. You complain about having kids to feed blah blah blah, well if you were actually SKILLED at something you could get a job that deservingly pays more.
Thats quite an ignorant statement. I AM NOT COMING TO THE DEFENSE OF EVERY AUTO WORKERS JOB. And I would say there are a few UAW jobs that may be over paid. But there are many that are not.
It's shitty work. Do you want an $8/hr guy putting your car together?
Next time you go to McDonalds imagine that.
What do you do thats so high mighty? If your a Scientist I apologize, If its IT, then LOL.

Do you consider a
Carpenter unskilled?
A Plumber, A Mechanic?
Old 03-13-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 7998

Do you consider a
Carpenter unskilled?
A Plumber, A Mechanic?
I know your talking to Irunelevens, but those jobs you just mentioned require a skill set IMO.

Quick Reply: Ford to cut wages in UAW deal