Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GM Selects LG Chem to Build Volt Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
i love LG's products. their tvs arent good?
Screens are known for dying pre-maturely.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

bump!!
Old 04-06-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Junkie

"The government does this as well. Last year an Air Force contract was awarded to Airbus. The "Buy American" provision was also taken out of one of the latest bills due to the protest and looming spectre of a trade war with the WTO."

KC-45 may not win the next round. And, the KC-45 if built will be built by Americans in Mobile Alabama...same thing for other times we have bought foreign aircraft such as the T-45.

W
Old 04-06-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Hopefully LG has to open a plant here...if not they should not be given the contract.

W
Old 04-06-2009, 11:42 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by WECIV
Hopefully LG has to open a plant here...if not they should not be given the contract.

W
Yeah, accepting inferior products because of their country of origin is a great idea
Old 04-06-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WECIV

W
My good thank goodness you didn't pick the winner between the two companies!
Read up on the vast conceptual differences in battery types that each of the two companies that were bidding for the contract had proposed and without knowing who made which batteries ask yourself which battery you'd pick, then look at which company makes them and you probably would have picked the same company that GM did.
The solution to all our problems is evidently to buy whatever we are making in this country regardless of whether it's better or not for our specific needs.
Here's an Idea...why don't we start producing better products...
Old 04-06-2009, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

bump!
Old 04-06-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Spoolin
My good thank goodness you didn't pick the winner between the two companies!
Read up on the vast conceptual differences in battery types that each of the two companies that were bidding for the contract had proposed and without knowing who made which batteries ask yourself which battery you'd pick, then look at which company makes them and you probably would have picked the same company that GM did.
The solution to all our problems is evidently to buy whatever we are making in this country regardless of whether it's better or not for our specific needs.
Here's an Idea...why don't we start producing better products...
I don't think that's what he was saying. I think he was saying that the foreign company should have to open a plant in the States (or add the batteries to an existing plant over here if they have one) to produce the batteries. This should have two benefits: 1)Employ Americans in a time where people are looking for jobs, thus helping the economy, 2) LG avoids oversea shipping charges, shipping delays, import taxes, and other expenditures. The plant would be an investment and would eventually turn in their favor, while continual importing is a never-ending expenditure. Everyone wins.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by XxGarbSxX
I don't think that's what he was saying. I think he was saying that the foreign company should have to open a plant in the States (or add the batteries to an existing plant over here if they have one) to produce the batteries. This should have two benefits: 1)Employ Americans in a time where people are looking for jobs, thus helping the economy, 2) LG avoids oversea shipping charges, shipping delays, import taxes, and other expenditures. The plant would be an investment and would eventually turn in their favor, while continual importing is a never-ending expenditure. Everyone wins.
Now that is a good point! I agree that that would benefit alot of the parties but not all of them necessarily, but I would support this option over any others.
LG and GM are apparently (if I remember correctly) gonna assemble the battery packs here in the states (in MA. ??) and build/make the batteries in Korea. I think that forcing LG to make the batteries here would require an awful lot as LG is a korean company and our economy is not the only one suffering. The Korean economy is also in a recession and asking them to ship/outsource jobs to us is asking alot. I'd rather see our economy recover because we are the #1 economy in the world and when we do well other economies will follow, but I find it hard to say "screw their economy, it's not our problem".
Old 04-07-2009, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

bump!
Old 04-08-2009, 09:57 AM
TECH Resident

bump!
Old 04-08-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

The only experience I have with LG products are my old cell phones (never had a reason to complain) and my LCD tv which is awesome aside from the fact that the remote is very finicky
Old 04-08-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Now that is a good point! I agree that that would benefit alot of the parties but not all of them necessarily, but I would support this option over any others.
LG and GM are apparently (if I remember correctly) gonna assemble the battery packs here in the states (in MA. ??) and build/make the batteries in Korea. I think that forcing LG to make the batteries here would require an awful lot as LG is a korean company and our economy is not the only one suffering. The Korean economy is also in a recession and asking them to ship/outsource jobs to us is asking alot. I'd rather see our economy recover because we are the #1 economy in the world and when we do well other economies will follow, but I find it hard to say "screw their economy, it's not our problem".
I find it easy to say screw them, because that is what most every country in the worlds policy is towards us. Many of these markets remain effectively closed to our products. Their governments and their companies are geared towards exporting to us and not opening up their markets to us. We always end up on the short side of the stick when get in trade negotiations with a Company(country) like Japan, Germany, China or Korea. If it wasn't for them manipulating their currency relative to ours or subsidizing their products we wouldn't be able to afford their products in the first place.

There's a reason that our government is supporting Our companies in these times. And theres a reason that the Japanese and the Germans are supporting their own companies. Because they are not US, no matter what you might think. This is not a world economy where everyone is on equal footing and there is fair trade. This is a world economy with competing nations, where governments support their own industires (not ours). Fair trade helps everyone. what we have here are huge trade deficits with a handful of nations that know how to protect their own economies and people better than we do.

I would say if they want to sell a large contract here, they can produce the lions share of the product here. Its business they would not have otherwise, so it would be good for both economies.

Last edited by TT632; 04-09-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

bump!!
Old 05-09-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good, LG makes some good ****, they're on par with samsung

Quick Reply: GM Selects LG Chem to Build Volt Batteries