GM Selects LG Chem to Build Volt Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GM Selects LG Chem to Build Volt Batteries

Decision ends two-year manufacturer selection process

Charles J. Murray, Senior Technical Editor -- Design News

Amidst the fanfare of a standing-room-only press conference in Detroit today, General Motors rolled out the T-shaped lithium-ion battery pack for the Chevy Volt and announced its cells will be built by Korean battery manufacturer LG Chem.

The press conference capped off a two-year wait in which the giant automaker auditioned two manufacturing teams for the role of battery supplier for the highly anticipated Chevy Volt, widely considered to be the biggest vehicle program in GM's history.

Read more: http://www.designnews.com/article/16..._Batteries.php
Old 03-27-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

I found this interesting because there were rumors that a Massachusetts based company was securing the contract, I guess that didn't materialize.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If an America company isn't going to buy American, what's that say??

Are they unAmerican now?
Old 03-27-2009, 01:07 PM
***Repost Police***

LG is one of the fastest-growing companies in the world. And they make some of the best products in the world as well (TVs excepting). They're even starting to take quite a bit of Whirlpool's business from Kenmore.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

So you guys read the article I take it? I agree popapork, it does send a rough message to the american public. But on the side of Irunmid14's there is a point in giving the contract to a fast growing and reputable electronics division, even though it does churn my stomach that isn't an American one.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was more making a stab at the people who think it is the American peoples fault that The 3 are going down the poop hole. Saying we are less American for not buying them. How can they blame people for not buying American when they car company they think has done no wrong, isn't supporting the American Economy.

I'm 100% giving business to whoever has the best product and is the most cost competitive. It's called doing business.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

It's also the glory of capitalism, and other countries/companies seem to have caught on to the idea rather well...
Old 03-27-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by phirepower
I found this interesting because there were rumors that a Massachusetts based company was securing the contract, I guess that didn't materialize.
A123 Systems and Cobasys were the US-based battery manufacturers GM was thinking of using. Korea's LG got it instead.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by PopaPork
I was more making a stab at the people who think it is the American peoples fault that The 3 are going down the poop hole. Saying we are less American for not buying them. How can they blame people for not buying American when they car company they think has done no wrong, isn't supporting the American Economy.

I'm 100% giving business to whoever has the best product and is the most cost competitive. It's called doing business.
The government does this as well. Last year an Air Force contract was awarded to Airbus. The "Buy American" provision was also taken out of one of the latest bills due to the protest and looming spectre of a trade war with the WTO.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PopaPork
If an America company isn't going to buy American, what's that say??

Are they unAmerican now?
This is a stupid post. How many companies are in America that can mass manufacture the type of battery needed?

There are companies like Eagle Pitcher out here that can handle low volume for contacts from NASA/mil or other specific uses.

But when you rant about the unfeasible what is your point?

You have to also consider that for some types of industry that labor isn't the only factor. We have environmental and disposal expenses that don't exist in many other countries.

Further, I am pretty sure that most car companies use parts from all over the world in every vehicle they manufacture. That is pretty much why countries have interacted since the dawn of time. Not everyone can make what they need.

I am not even sure that the USA can produce enough Lithium to sustain its needs. So I guess we should reduce our consumption as buying it from Chile would be Unamerican....
Old 03-28-2009, 02:06 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
This is a stupid post. How many companies are in America that can mass manufacture the type of battery needed?

There are companies like Eagle Pitcher out here that can handle low volume for contacts from NASA/mil or other specific uses.

But when you rant about the unfeasible what is your point?

You have to also consider that for some types of industry that labor isn't the only factor. We have environmental and disposal expenses that don't exist in many other countries.

Further, I am pretty sure that most car companies use parts from all over the world in every vehicle they manufacture. That is pretty much why countries have interacted since the dawn of time. Not everyone can make what they need.

I am not even sure that the USA can produce enough Lithium to sustain its needs. So I guess we should reduce our consumption as buying it from Chile would be Unamerican....
If you have seen other threads in this forum on similar topics, you would understand his post and see the sarcasm.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
LG is one of the fastest-growing companies in the world. And they make some of the best products in the world as well (TVs excepting). They're even starting to take quite a bit of Whirlpool's business from Kenmore.
i love LG's products. their tvs arent good?
Old 03-28-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Least someone gets it.

If you have seen other threads in this forum on similar topics, you would understand his post and see the sarcasm.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:51 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
i love LG's products. their tvs arent good?
It's not that they aren't good, there are just better alternatives for the money IMO. Samsung/Sony make better LCDs, and Panasonic for plasmas.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Veteran

I haven't so I apologize for being out of the loop. Haven't been hitting up LS1Tech much with all the projects at work.

Perhaps it should of been more obvious to me.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

HELLO !!!!!......Can u even say..."WORLD ECONOMY"....???????
Old 03-31-2009, 11:24 PM
Launching!

which is great to support if everyone plays by the same rules. But they don't. Hell even we don't to some extent.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

very true
Old 04-03-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blackened2k
which is great to support if everyone plays by the same rules. But they don't. Hell even we don't to some extent.
Amen! except the rest of the world holds us to higher expectations than they do themselves. We already import enough Foreign crap, and they expect us to import more!
Old 04-03-2009, 03:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

That article lightly touched on it but there were vast differences in the batteries that gave very different performance characteristics. They briefly discussed it but it was not very indepth. I'm sure if each company produced the exact same batteries they would of picked the US company for public approval but there were very big differences between the two companies. Also as it mentioned in the article the batteries packs will be assembled in michigan so were still gonna be getting some manufacturing jobs brought here.

Regardless...global economy it is...and were not the only country upset at the state of our economy.

Quick Reply: GM Selects LG Chem to Build Volt Batteries