Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Pontiac's Nail in the Coffin

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 05:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin
OK finally we are getting somewhere!!! So this is about union labor. And I am union labor and am all for union labor. I'd like to know what is the difference between an American built car that is produced by a worker who chooses to be in a union and a worker who CHOOSES NOT to be in a union?

again you miss my point. i was suggesting he buy a non union made car since he hates the UAW so much. you sure dont seem pro union to me.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ChaseSS
I never said it did explain that! good lord you are hard headed. I agree the big 3's leadership was incompetent... that's not what I am arguing, I simply put a fair share of blame on that incompetency of the leadership and the UAW

why would I be happier buying a non union built vehicle?

just so we are clear, all i drive/own are american made vehicles and i've never given my business to foreign manufacturer... just my personal preference. But that has nothing to do with this discussion, I'm perfectly happy and for some reason you think I'm crying and disturbed over the big 3 fall out... they deserve it IMO and it doesn't bother me at all.

You also keep harping on the market-share and sales... looking at market-share and sales alone don't give you the slightest clue as to what the problems are at GM, Ford, and Chrysler
as ive been trying to say which you keep missing over and over is decling sales for decades is overall the blame of leadership. while work stoppages as ive agreed can have a short term impact if they made competitive vehicles people would still buy them which they havent. less sales equals less money. simple.

since youre so anti UAW you really should buy a foreign made vehicle from a non union manufacturer. i think youd be hasppier.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

don't hold your breath spoolin... because the answer aint coming

why dont you two go hold hands somewhere.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ss1129
Isnt it funny that non-union built cars are more commonly known to have better build quality?

it has nothing to do with assembly line workers.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

ahhhh...I can breath again!

with the paragraphs you posy they require simple answers thats hard to believe.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wannabess00
I assure you this isnt a factual debate or a union vs non union as they keep attempting to draw you in. It an ideological debate supported by irrational and unfair arguments by outraged college grads that understand a degree as a title of nobility and a requirement to secure fiscal comfort in this country. I was the same way when I was in college. Youre well informed of how it works I can see

i dont have a degree nor do i work for a union employer but ive been in the work force awhile and have seen how things work.

its pretty obvious to me what the main contributors are to the big threes failures. bottom line leadership takes credit for a co. success and takes the heat when they fail. game over.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only failure that UAW is doing as far as people like you are concerned is not agreeing to do the work for free like you'd love to see GM autoworkers do the job for. $14hr plus health benefits is now comparable to the average small machine shop compensation but you dont like to talk about that. Youll stick with the anti union agendas obsession with the $40, $70, $100hr numbers that people like you make up and argue against because this isnt about dollar amount and being competitive.
hahaha.... no wannabess, you've made it clear that you feel no company should be able to turn a profit and companies have "responsibilities" to which they should go out of business before actually turning a profit. I don't have an anti-union agenda, I have an anti-entitlement agenda. Anything can be accomplished through hard work, but you can keep pushing your agenda and how evil businesses are.

Its your outrage about a high school educated person walking into a factory and earning all the benefits and living wages a college educated person feels he worked his *** off for and it pisses you off
your argument is laughable at best, looks like a bunch of a high school educated unskilled workers will be looking for new jobs and don't have the job security they thought they did, so please tell me how I would envy them right now? I'll stick with working for a company I can move up in and not stay in the same place all my life... and since they have little to offer any other company, a new job will be a littler harder to find. But i don't blame the workers, they were just riding the gravy train and I can't blame them for that, but GM's cost structure was unsustainable, and the UAW contributed to that. I'd really like to know how you don't put any burden on the UAW at all? Tunnel vision? Narrow minded? There are many things that brought these companies down and the UAW is one of them, you have yet to show any evidence suggesting otherwise

Last edited by ChaseSS; 04-07-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
as ive been trying to say which you keep missing over and over is decling sales for decades is overall the blame of leadership. while work stoppages as ive agreed can have a short term impact if they made competitive vehicles people would still buy them which they havent. less sales equals less money. .
That's a billion dollars, extracted out of GM to buy labor peace at a plant they didn't own.
how do you call that a short term impact???

And for the 10th time it doesn't matter how much they are selling because they are losing money on the vehicles they sell!! what don't you understand about that

simple
really? So please explain to me why the 2nd largest automotive SALES company can't turn a profit in the last 5 years? If they are selling more than every company except for one, toyota, please explain, I'm all ears and you can bless me with your brilliant understanding of how the auto business really works

since youre so anti UAW you really should buy a foreign made vehicle from a non union manufacturer. i think youd be hasppier.
your arguments are spiraling downward, when possible, I buy American. Foreign vs. American is a whole other argument in and of itself, pertains nothing to what we are talking about so please grow up
Old 04-07-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

again you miss my point. i was suggesting he buy a non union made car since he hates the UAW so much. you sure dont seem pro union to me.
Being labeled as pro this or con that is irrelevant to me. I think Unions have an important place in society and in the work force. I have nothing against the UAW and it's members but I do have a problem with the leadership that has been elected to run it.
I consider having a black or white stance on any generalized topic usually leads to ignorance and blind allegiance.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Being labeled as pro this or con that is irrelevant to me. I think Unions have an important place in society and in the work force. I have nothing against the UAW and it's members but I do have a problem with the leadership that has been elected to run it.
I consider having a black or white stance on any generalized topic usually leads to ignorance and blind allegiance.
I guess that would be my general feeling as well. I'm not anti union - I'm a general contractor and use a union workforce more than 50% of the time, they don't throw picket lines on me even though they know I have and do use some non-union subcontractors, bottom line is I am giving them business and their prices are competitive with non-union counterparts. The unions I work with seem much, much, much easier going than the UAW and I value their work.

I simply feel the UAW overstepped its boundaries, if some can't admit that then we have a serious disagreement and neither side looks like its giving in so I'm done arguing it. (if you want to call it the "UAW leadership" then fine, I was simply referring to "UAW" as the people running the UAW)
Old 04-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Restricted User

sales by the big three have been declining for decades. theyve been rebating cars and offering incentives since at least 9-11. maybe before.
ahem...

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
GM was selling cars just fine before the economic meltdown, sure they were losing marketshare, but sales were not killing them, their costs were.
Please fully read a statement and make sure you comprehend it before responding.

Thank you.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If any of you idiots can think, they just handed over money to GM

They now have to build better qaulity cars, that are more EPA freindly!

You do rember car makers are the ones who didnt want seat belts or air bags in cars, they goverment made them add those safty features.

Dont have so much faith in no name faceless companys, because there are alot more AIGs out there than you think!

Lets not forget the **** boxes from the late 70s to early 90s the general has been feeding use. Notice how there all rusted out fucken junks!
Old 04-07-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were does health cares come from?

How important is health care when you have kids and a family

Think about that, because that big fucken company doesnt give a ****
Old 04-07-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

OMG...
Old 04-08-2009, 03:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slick1851
Were does health cares come from?

How important is health care when you have kids and a family

Think about that, because that big fucken company doesnt give a ****
Then save some ******* money and buy healthcare, loser.

Being Libertarians isnt the answer either. I respect Ron Paul a ton and think he is very genuine but the libertarians that took over the RNC 30 years ago have tried it their way twice.
Do you have even the slightest idea what 'libertarian' means? Got news for you boss, democrats took over the rnc, NOT libertarians.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:59 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

Originally Posted by beerwhiskeyjoe
Then save some ******* money and buy healthcare, loser.

So thats what Jesus would say huh lol? How dare you let your child develop cancer and Autism and Mental Retardation...idiots! I dont know why people choose to let their kids get sick

Originally Posted by beerwhiskeyjoe
Do you have even the slightest idea what 'libertarian' means? Got news for you boss, democrats took over the rnc, NOT libertarians.
Do you? People that believe govt is best served by sitting on its hands? Actually, Eisenhower thought the same of Goldwater's ideas and thats why he didnt campaign much for him in 64. You see a Libertarians share the belief for advocating individual liberties while diminishing the duties of a central authority. However when you combine the conservatism with this ideology it can commonly be refereed two as "fusionism" which is the implementing of conservatism into libertarianism. Like what the conservative belief structure primarily is. Like Ol' Grandpa Ronnie said "Government isnt the solution to our problems, Government is the problem" Sounds like a real liberal lol! See the fact that they didnt follow the creed doesnt make them democrats. It makes them liars! Kinda like many democrats a patronizers

Last edited by wannabess00; 04-09-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:43 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

hahaha.... no wannabess, you've made it clear that you feel no company should be able to turn a profit and companies have "responsibilities" to which they should go out of business before actually turning a profit. I don't have an anti-union agenda, I have an anti-entitlement agenda. Anything can be accomplished through hard work, but you can keep pushing your agenda and how evil businesses are.

your argument is laughable at best, looks like a bunch of a high school educated unskilled workers will be looking for new jobs and don't have the job security they thought they did, so please tell me how I would envy them right now? I'll stick with working for a company I can move up in and not stay in the same place all my life... and since they have little to offer any other company, a new job will be a littler harder to find. But i don't blame the workers, they were just riding the gravy train and I can't blame them for that, but GM's cost structure was unsustainable, and the UAW contributed to that. I'd really like to know how you don't put any burden on the UAW at all? Tunnel vision? Narrow minded? There are many things that brought these companies down and the UAW is one of them, you have yet to show any evidence suggesting otherwise
I think whats laughable is the idea that we are both arguing on the same page. I think we can agree theres a big difference between what I think is vital in a citizens life and what you do. I think health care is a mutual responsibility and a human right where as you view it as you view it as an individual responsibility and a requirement of continuing advancement. So its easy to see that while you think its asking too much for workers to receive health care I see it as a requirement for workers and there families. You cant hold a worker responsible for the enormous cost of it and families dont need it any less then they did. Theres no denying that a health care companies primary means of profit is through lack of coverage to its base or raising its costs to counter a loss from higher fees. And while you most likely view a worker without a college degree less productive to society, I tend to believe in the Nixon view of "Every job counts, up to the hilt" and see even the gas station worker every bit as needed as an accountant and there fore deserving of health care.

Last edited by wannabess00; 04-09-2009 at 12:09 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:05 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

i dont have a degree nor do i work for a union employer but ive been in the work force awhile and have seen how things work.

its pretty obvious to me what the main contributors are to the big threes failures. bottom line leadership takes credit for a co. success and takes the heat when they fail. game over.
Sums up my whole view on this crisis from the government from the last 8 years and business.
"There's an old saying that victory has a thousand fathers and defeat is an orphan" John F. Kennedy

Quick Reply: Pontiac's Nail in the Coffin