Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GM Will Discontinue Pontiac

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pontiac was a fleet queen, thats the only reason it had big sales numbers. Fleet cars don't make money. GM will drop GMC before they drop Buick. Its a status symbol in China, mostly because its an American brand.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recall CNBC's Saving GM doc they did last year mentioned that GM either does sell or is on track to sell more vehicles in China than they do in the US. Since Buick is a hit over there, Idk how they could motion to discontinue the brand in the light of a long term profitability plan. And regarding the governments report that came out critiquing their reorganization strategy, it alluded that neither Buick or GMC should be on the chopping block, nor will it be in the junk pile if the company splits.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:13 AM
Launching!

So what happens to the warranties you get from buying a new Pontiac? Will they just transfer to a Chevy dealership since its all GM?
Old 04-26-2009, 02:11 AM
TECH Resident

I would imagine they would have to, just to maintain a sense of credibility with the public. I think that's one of the problems GM is dealing with, under the impending prospect of going into chapter 11; the public's concern with buying a vehicle from a company in bankruptcy. Obama has announced they will stand behind the warranties when this happens, but I don't think GM will dish over Pontiac's warranty work over to them quite yet.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

I've been loyal to GM since I can remember, but that all changes with this. If I had known my '02 was going to be the last new car I'd ever actually want to buy, I wouldn't have driven it for the past 7 years. At this point I don't really care whether GM goes under or not. No offense to you Camaro guys, but I've never really had a strong interest in any other GM division. I hereby turn in my keys to the world of the hardcore automotive enthusiast.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:19 PM
11 Second Club

why not kill of GMC and Saturn ... maybe even buick, what do they have the lucerne and some ugly suv's?

sell hummer to anyone who has $20 and get your **** straight
I see just as many G6's as I saw Grand Ams ... that's got to be something good

the 1st car I bought was my '68 Z ... but the 1st car I drove regularly was a '77 Grand Prix SJ ... 400, th400, posi ... not fast but fun as hell and tons of torque

guess I was smart to keep my '68 firebird
Old 04-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...-rumors-78423/

It's ain't over until the fat lady sings.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

You people (most of you) are missing the real news:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/GM-to-...&asset=&ccode=

Quote buried at the end:
The government's restructuring demands include swapping at least two thirds of GM's unsecured bond debt for equity in the company.

Obama's abortion of a government is going to OWN GM outright, maybe becoming majority shareholder if my guess is right. Considering they fired Wagoner, they already think they do - and are well on their way. You think GM has f___ed up so far (and they have), just wait...
Old 04-27-2009, 07:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This GM web blog has turned into "why are you killing Pontiac"....

http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives....html#comments
Old 04-27-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmilz28
You people (most of you) are missing the real news:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/GM-to-...&asset=&ccode=

Quote buried at the end:
The government's restructuring demands include swapping at least two thirds of GM's unsecured bond debt for equity in the company.

Obama's abortion of a government is going to OWN GM outright, maybe becoming majority shareholder if my guess is right. Considering they fired Wagoner, they already think they do - and are well on their way. You think GM has f___ed up so far (and they have), just wait...

I agree. We should all only drive sub-compact's according to the new world order. The g8 is an "evil" v-8. They will kill the Camaro and Vette- mark my words. It's over. I've owned 22 GM's. I will NEVER buy another- their soul has been sold.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadrunner 45
I agree. We should all only drive sub-compact's according to the new world order. The g8 is an "evil" v-8. They will kill the Camaro and Vette- mark my words. It's over. I've owned 22 GM's. I will NEVER buy another- their soul has been sold.
I'm not QUITE there yet, fat lady hasn't sung (though she's gargled and has started to hum). There are still some guys at/around GM with brains and *****. Maybe another Lee Iacocca will come around for GM. Until the government actually takes possession, I'll keep supporting. If/when they do, I'm with you - no more new vehicles from GM. Sad to think the "Government Motors" is such a strong possibility.

Maybe if we're "lucky", GM would sell LS technology to Ford - and we could go buy a good looking, economically viable pony/sports/touring car with some real ***** off the shelf (without a blower).
Old 04-27-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

^Good Call!!
Old 04-27-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default GM Kills Pontiac, HUMMER, Saab and Saturn

I'm surprised Tri-shield hasn't posted this.... considering it is from his favorite author..... regardless.... Pontiac is officially toast.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/gm-...ab-and-saturn/

GM Kills Pontiac, HUMMER, Saab and Saturn

By Robert Farago
April 27, 2009

GM has released its press release releasing [both] remaining fans of the Pontiac brand from the suspense surrounding its untimely (as in late) demise. “As part of the revised Viability Plan and the need to move faster and further, GM in the U.S. will focus its resources on four core brands, Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC. The Pontiac brand will be phased out by the end of 2010. GM will offer a total of 34 nameplates in 2010, a reduction of 29 percent from 48 nameplates in 2008, reflecting both the reduction in brands and continued emphasis on fewer and stronger entries. This four-brand strategy will enable GM to better focus its new product development programs and provide more competitive levels of market support.” Buick? “The revised plan moves up the resolution of Saab, Saturn, and Hummer to the end of 2009, at the latest.” GM CEO Fritz Henderson put a brave face on the news, ’cause that’s who he is and what he does.

“We have strong new product coming for our four core brands: the Chevrolet Camaro, Equinox, Cruze and Volt; Buick LaCrosse; GMC Terrain; and Cadillac SRX and CTS Sport Wagon and Coupe,” said Henderson. “A tighter focus by GM and its dealers will help give these products the capital investment, marketing and advertising support they need to be truly successful.”

I’m lost. How many rebadges are left? Anyway, read Paul Niedermeyer Pontiac obit here. I’ll put up Michael Karesh’s G8 GXP review in a mo and provide an update the employment and production side of GM’s new new new new new new new new turnaround plan. Meanwhile, how sad is this, from underneath the press release:

About GM - General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM), one of the world’s largest automakers [emphasis added], was founded in 1908, and today manufactures cars and trucks in 34 countries. With its global headquarters in Detroit, GM employs 243,000 people in every major region of the world, and sells and services vehicles in some 140 countries. In 2008, GM sold 8.35 million cars and trucks globally under the following brands: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, GM Daewoo, Holden, Hummer, Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Vauxhall and Wuling. GM’s largest national market is the United States, followed by China, Brazil, the United Kingdom, Canada, Russia and Germany. GM’s OnStar subsidiary is the industry leader in vehicle safety, security and information services. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Is there still goin to be parts available for trans am's??
Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jmilz28
I agree as well, this is made clear in their push for Chrysler to join Fiat in exchange for "small car technology"

The banks needed a bail out because they made irresponsibly leveraged bets, and needed the cash to make their balance sheets look like they were still solvent. 1st quarter profits are coming out and a number of them are already turning a profit and even beating estimates. GM, Ford, and Chrysler are in an different situation and are far from being profitable. The Obama admin is now in charge of dictating the reorganizing plan to make them profitable; that vision entails a different philosophy of building cars than we're used to, or want. Then again, we don't represent the average consumer. The sad thing is, I think GM was on the road to building nice product, restyled toyotas with decent powertrains, now we're just gonna get rebadged toyotas (and fiats).
Old 04-27-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by corvet786c
Is there still goin to be parts available for trans am's??
My guess would be till the parts are exhausted. After that... it will be used and aftermarket only.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
I'm surprised Tri-shield hasn't posted this.... considering it is from his favorite author..... regardless.... Pontiac is officially toast.
I've had family issues the past week that needed attention.

But yeah, Farago saw this coming years and years ago. So did Peter DeLorenzo but now that Motown is actually dissolving he seems to be going completely insane so I don't read his site anymore.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is nothing to stop gm from making a firebird on the same lines it makes the camaro if the camaro does well. It can be a firebird trans am just like there is a camaro SS.
It don't have to be a pontiac firebird trans am. After all they aren't different in terms of drivetrain and basic chassis since the early 80s.So they simply have to make different interior and some exterior panels to make a firebird again.

The solstice was neat and I was not too impressed with pontiac since they axed the two door supercharger grand prix coupe and started making them only in four door form.
Solstice is a neat enough car but as said don't make a profit and guess not a big market for g8s anyway so not a big loss. I do like my pontiac montana van but they quit making minivans into the US anyway and my current one should do me 10 years or so no big deal.

Most parts in the trans am and my montana van are same as the chevy parts. Just some different interior and body panels.

Thats the thing there were way too many redundant models in the gm lineup. At one time there were like 5 versions of the same minivan, Buick, chevy, pontiac, saturn,olds..same van. slight differences in appearance and interiors..very inefficient.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hate to say it.... but Firebird, Trans Am are both DEAD. They aren't coming back.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Don’t Buy A GM Orphan . . . Yet

By Steven Lang
April 28, 2009

There are three things you really can’t avoid if you’re an American: death, debt (government inherited) and sales. Now that four GM brands have officially Oldsmobiled themselves, you’re going to hear a lot of retail sales cheerleading in the MSM. “Now’s the best time!”, “Vultures are gonna feast on these deals!”, and my own personal favorite “Get ’em while they last!” But unfortunately that last cliché is a really big part of GM’s problem.

The axe has one hell of an arc to swing this time around. And the targets aren’t exactly the cream of the crop either. For every G8 and Astra that may truly be a great deal, there’s thousands upon thousands of G8’s and Astra’s lined up right behind them that likely have the wrong options and features. Time to buy? If the government does provide the sugar candy of subsidization to consumers, yes. Debt be damned. But keep one thing in mind.

When Isuzu and Oldsmobile went kaput, we were seeing their near-new cars sold at less than half the price at the auctions. Now that four brands and about eighteen models are hitting the permanent pavement, the best carcasses may not be from the first “vulture” flyers. In fact with Pontiac at least running through 2010, and GM still sucking at the government teat, this may be a “Toe Tag Sale” that’s well worth missing. After all, a real vulture usually waits until the carcass is long dead before feasting.

Quick Reply: GM Will Discontinue Pontiac