Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Pontiac is gone! This sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 11:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The most recent news does suck however this is the 3rd or 4th time the plan for pontiac has changed. It wouldn't suprise me if in another month it changed again because the people upstairs have no clue what direction to go in at this point. All we can really do is sit back and wait to see when they go chap 11 and find out whats left. Its sad times for the general as a whole
Old 04-28-2009, 07:16 AM
On The Tree

Obviously getting rid of Wagner didnt resolve the issue of GM's idiotocracy, it may have helped some but in my opinion is that GM's idea of giving people what they get vs what they want still hasn't sunk into those idiots that make decisions at GM. This weekend while out driving around I couldnt believe how many Pontiacs I saw vs Buicks. The resale value of a Chevy vs a Pontiac is like comparing the resale value of a MiniCooper vs a Chevy Cavalier. I have had many new Pontiacs and a few new Chevy's and I also did much better on trade-ins or selling outright the Pontiac. I always took a beating on the Chevy's. Holden out to buy Pontiac and that would give them an in for the states, like Fiat with Chysler. The other as mentioned was using the G8 platform for an Impala, this would do 2 things, it would give people something they would want in a rear wheel drive car and also open GM back up to law enforcement vehicles since they lost out on these sales to Ford and recently to Chrysler, probally why Ford isn't in as much trouble as GM and Chrysler is slightly in better shape than GM. Law enforcement always needs vehicles.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

For all of you crying and whining about the demise of Pontiac,
if you haven't bought a brand new Pontiac in the last couple of years you should blame yourself.

If you look at sales numbers for GM brands, total units sold:
Chevy sold almost 2 million total units in the figures I looked up online, compared to 285,000 total units sold for Pontiac.

GM sells more Buicks just in China then they have in total Pontiac sales in world.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 507 Likes on 366 Posts

Good point Proporio. I mostly just feel bad that Pontiac fell so far from the 'excitement' division it once was. I bought 3 new Pontiacs but NONE since the T/A. The GTO was enticing but the styling not anything as close to an F-body. I passed. The Solstice was quite exciting but the wife didn't want to mess with a manual top, even if it was easy to operate. We ended up buying a used Z3 (full power everything and originally a $41k car) with only 13,000 miles on it for the same price as a new Solstice. It was a no-brainer for us but another instance where Pontiac missed the boat. I have no idea how many people passed on the non-power vert top. Then Pontiac lined up with Oprah to sell (and give away) the G6. Talk about a real deal breaker for most males out there unless you are one of the few males that likes The View or watches Oprah. What a turn-off! Pontiac's marketing went completely south. No wonder why I haven't bought any new Pontiacs since the T/A. What a far cry from the past. Just a shame.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by proporio
if you haven't bought a brand new Pontiac in the last couple of years you should blame yourself.

If you look at sales numbers for GM brands, total units sold:
Chevy sold almost 2 million total units in the figures I looked up online, compared to 285,000 total units sold for Pontiac.

GM sells more Buicks just in China then they have in total Pontiac sales in world.
don't they sell the g8 in china as a buick ?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Regular

Now maybe my license plate (EXTYNCT) will make sense to people who aren't up to speed on Firebirds, haha.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

It is a sad day when the brand that brought us the GTO, Trans Am Firebirds, the G8 GXP, and the Turbo TA (the good one with the BUICK engine)has been put out to pasture. GM killed the Pontiac name with just about anyone under the age of 30 with its lame line up, really what except the G8 has any excitement? The Solstice is cool too, but in reality Pontiac has been "dead brand walking for years". GM was starting on the right track again with Pontiac and working it to get the thrill back, then gas topped out at 4.50 a gallon, hard to sell a performance division to a crowd thinking gas would get to 8.00.

To those that say GMC should have gone, I throw this out there. Make GMC the truck only division, only sell small truck and SUVs as Chevy or Caddies everything 1/2 ton and up GMC only. Allow all GM dealers to sell and service the GMC trucks. (I have always thought GM should make it so all dealers can do warrenty work on all GM vehicles just like Ford does) To me by making Chevy cars, small trucks and SUVs it allows GM to laser focus Chevys ad budget, the same holds true for GMC just because it would be the GM work brand (heavy hauling done here). GMC has always done very well for the profit end of GM, think about it, they are the least costly to make cause you know what to do everytime when designing a truck and when a consumer walks on the GMC lot you know what they want for a vehicle.....A TRUCK.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

I say bring the G8 out as a Buick Grand National.....
Old 04-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Good point Proporio. I mostly just feel bad that Pontiac fell so far from the 'excitement' division it once was. I bought 3 new Pontiacs but NONE since the T/A. The GTO was enticing but the styling not anything as close to an F-body. I passed. The Solstice was quite exciting but the wife didn't want to mess with a manual top, even if it was easy to operate. We ended up buying a used Z3 (full power everything and originally a $41k car) with only 13,000 miles on it for the same price as a new Solstice. It was a no-brainer for us but another instance where Pontiac missed the boat. I have no idea how many people passed on the non-power vert top. Then Pontiac lined up with Oprah to sell (and give away) the G6. Talk about a real deal breaker for most males out there unless you are one of the few males that likes The View or watches Oprah. What a turn-off! Pontiac's marketing went completely south. No wonder why I haven't bought any new Pontiacs since the T/A. What a far cry from the past. Just a shame.
I think you have mr bill lutz to thank for the lack of styling. I remember reading just after they killed the f-body that HE wanted to make pontiac an upscale division. Like the cars from BMW. Dont they already have that and its called cadillac?? I knew than that it could spell disaster.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by proporio
I bought a 2009 Solstice back in September 08 so I did my part.....where the hell was everyone else?!!?!?

I hate, absolutely hate that the ONLY American car brand that I have ever identified with throughout my life is now going to be history.

It was bad enough when they took Firebird, but with PONTIAC alive there was still a .01% chance they could bring it back. Now that will never happen for any future generations.

suck it GM. No more of my money will you have!
Old 04-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Banned

I was told by a little birdie that the main reason pontiac is phased out and not sold is because once GM gets back on its feet it will return with a vengence. Possible why they decided to sell the other brands and just put Pontiac in the back room for now. I still say camaro sales will determine the return of the FIREBIRD for a 2012-2013 time frame. This is the only way GM can please the govt but at the same time not lose the rights to the pontiac name. I will stay on top of this but the old fogies at Gm change thier mind all the time.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just read an article about all this and it said that the goverment is deciding wether to keep up all the regulations on new vehicles or basicly tell all the american car makers what to build (small fuel efficent not cool cars) and not even consider the cosumers opinion basicly tell us what to drive and if they do that the only branches of gm would be chevy and cadillac and they would most likley kill off the camaro cts v and the corvette i read this on aol.com today and that made me pretty mad cause it also said that over 70% of the new camaros ordered are v8 powered so it shows what americans want to drive! And yes it sucks they killed of pontiac when they kept saturn and hummer if anything they should stop makin hummers no buys them anymore and who care about saturn so i think we may only have a year or 2 of the new camaro and i probebly wont ever get a chance to buy a brand new z06 this sucks!
Old 04-30-2009, 12:51 AM
Launching!

Let them try. They can build all the shitty tiny cars they want. They will NEVER force me to buy/drive one.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Launching!

pontiac needed more SUV's on the road but mostly they needed trucks!!
chevrolets most sale are trucks, i mean every state road worker i see in GA has a truck, every hill billy, red neck, contractor, and my damn neighbor!!! i mean pontiac should have jumped in on this...

however if it were me i would move the performance portion of GM to pontiac and the truck portion of GM to chevrolet. and if anything they should do away with GMC!

in addition to that did anyone see the article of when they put and LS6 in the Poniac Solstice? Let me just say this, it DOMINATED the 08 ZO6 in EVERY way, acceleration, braking, cornering, top speed, it even weighed less! however, GM didn't want to put it in production cause it would make there high end perfomance car, the Corvette, look stupid and slow, and it would kill there legend.

in my opinion if they had produced it all the new race cars would have picked the Solstice over the Corvette, it would probably even be the new corvette, and it would have raised the sales of Pontiac and GM alot!

however a company is only as good as its leader and i must say GM leaders SUCK my mother phucken *****!! ***** them all, there rich bstard asses suck in life, and its very unfortunate that people so undeserving in charge of this! i can think of about 10 people of the top of my head on this fourm alone that are better diserving of suck pesitions!!

GM used to dominatethe one thing they stood for, performance, they did away with......... pathetic, if you ask me........

god i need a beer, or 6, to calm down....
Old 05-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KLRWS6
I was told by a little birdie that the main reason pontiac is phased out and not sold is because once GM gets back on its feet it will return with a vengence. Possible why they decided to sell the other brands and just put Pontiac in the back room for now. I still say camaro sales will determine the return of the FIREBIRD for a 2012-2013 time frame. This is the only way GM can please the govt but at the same time not lose the rights to the pontiac name. I will stay on top of this but the old fogies at Gm change thier mind all the time.
if only you are right!!! man i wish i was given the chance to maybe run it for a week i would fire all the people in charge and look for new people right here in LS1tech.... i mean, how many people need a job that diserve it....
Old 05-04-2009, 07:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fotis
pontiac needed more SUV's on the road but mostly they needed trucks!!
chevrolets most sale are trucks, i mean every state road worker i see in GA has a truck, every hill billy, red neck, contractor, and my damn neighbor!!! i mean pontiac should have jumped in on this...

however if it were me i would move the performance portion of GM to pontiac and the truck portion of GM to chevrolet. and if anything they should do away with GMC!

in addition to that did anyone see the article of when they put and LS6 in the Poniac Solstice? Let me just say this, it DOMINATED the 08 ZO6 in EVERY way, acceleration, braking, cornering, top speed, it even weighed less! however, GM didn't want to put it in production cause it would make there high end perfomance car, the Corvette, look stupid and slow, and it would kill there legend.

in my opinion if they had produced it all the new race cars would have picked the Solstice over the Corvette, it would probably even be the new corvette, and it would have raised the sales of Pontiac and GM alot!

however a company is only as good as its leader and i must say GM leaders SUCK my mother phucken *****!! ***** them all, there rich bstard asses suck in life, and its very unfortunate that people so undeserving in charge of this! i can think of about 10 people of the top of my head on this fourm alone that are better diserving of suck pesitions!!

GM used to dominatethe one thing they stood for, performance, they did away with......... pathetic, if you ask me........

god i need a beer, or 6, to calm down....

As they would say on SNL. Really? Realllly? Really?

Pontiac trucks? Didn't you notice the market place was pretty much saturated with trucks? Why would having another 2500 series with a arrow head on the front save Pontiac?

And as been said before GMC sells huge amounts of Trucks as fleet vehicles and has always been a truck company. They never got in to the business selling cars did they?

A GMC rebadged as Pontiac would be even more of a screw up.

I get that all you arrow head boys are upset that your cars is gone and now the brand is, but come one saying "they should have moved this to that, that that to this and killed this brand over that brand and did this instead of that", is like pissing in the wind. Not only is it stupid it's pointless.

Pontiac got out of the performance cars/excitement division a long time ago, they were goners from that day forward. They got in to the Mid size family four door cars that have some more angles and the same engines as the Chevy counter part. Yes they had a super charged GTP or whatever it was, awesome....excitttting, and yes the G8GT is really the first thing different and wow from them in a long time, but thats it.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PopaPork
As they would say on SNL. Really? Realllly? Really?

Pontiac trucks? Didn't you notice the market place was pretty much saturated with trucks? Why would having another 2500 series with a arrow head on the front save Pontiac?

And as been said before GMC sells huge amounts of Trucks as fleet vehicles and has always been a truck company. They never got in to the business selling cars did they?

A GMC rebadged as Pontiac would be even more of a screw up.

I get that all you arrow head boys are upset that your cars is gone and now the brand is, but come one saying "they should have moved this to that, that that to this and killed this brand over that brand and did this instead of that", is like pissing in the wind. Not only is it stupid it's pointless.

Pontiac got out of the performance cars/excitement division a long time ago, they were goners from that day forward. They got in to the Mid size family four door cars that have some more angles and the same engines as the Chevy counter part. Yes they had a super charged GTP or whatever it was, awesome....excitttting, and yes the G8GT is really the first thing different and wow from them in a long time, but thats it.
: (i love smilies)
Old 05-06-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Turrry
I say bring the G8 out as a Buick Grand National.....
damn right.

They should rebadge the g8 as a buick GN and then supercharge the 6,2l.

Turbo wouldn't work with space concerns. SC would be awesome!!
Old 05-07-2009, 07:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

'Smiles' me all you want the, the facts are still the same, you had a silly idea.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Several people/companies have offered to buy Pontiac, for substantial amounts of money, GM has declined and said it is not forsale, unlike saturn, hummer and saab which are. I think that says something right there......

It might be back...

Quick Reply: Pontiac is gone! This sucks!!!!!!!!!!!