Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GM' Marketing The Camaro in a New Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brad8266
I find this really funny and another example of GM and their horrible business strategy. Why would you pander to a consumer group (gays) that makes up probably no more than 5% of your potential customers while not targeting the group that has been known to actually buy these types of cars. It doesnt make sense.
I dunno there is a gay guy near me that bought a 08 z06 because he figured it would attract other guys..... so you tell me
Old 07-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by brad8266
I find this really funny and another example of GM and their horrible business strategy. Why would you pander to a consumer group (gays) that makes up probably no more than 5% of your potential customers while not targeting the group that has been known to actually buy these types of cars. It doesnt make sense.
Not to mention alienating your typical car guys.

Oh wait, I guess that makes me a homophobe.

To all those who have so liberally thrown around that word in this thread:

I can be comfortable in my sexuality and still say "GM is stupid for putting out ads with guys in speedos sprawled out over the new Camaro". Saying that doesn't make someone a homophobe any more than defending these ads makes someone a homosexual.

It was a dumb move.
They stood to lose more customers than they gained.
That's why they pulled it.

You can sit here and stereotype us "neanderthals" all you want, but at the end of the day we were right. It was a bad business strategy on GM's part, and they recognized it.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by KeyserWS6
Not to mention alienating your typical car guys.

Oh wait, I guess that makes me a homophobe.

To all those who have so liberally thrown around that word in this thread:

I can be comfortable in my sexuality and still say "GM is stupid for putting out ads with guys in speedos sprawled out over the new Camaro". Saying that doesn't make someone a homophobe any more than defending these ads makes someone a homosexual.

It was a dumb move.
They stood to lose more customers than they gained.
That's why they pulled it.

You can sit here and stereotype us "neanderthals" all you want, but at the end of the day we were right. It was a bad business strategy on GM's part, and they recognized it.
So then what bothers you about the add? I could care less about your opinions regarding GM's advertising philosophy but what bother you about the add that makes you so annoyed?
Old 07-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Spoolin
So then what bothers you about the add? I could care less about your opinions regarding GM's advertising philosophy but what bother you about the add that makes you so annoyed?
Try to follow along this time:

You're on a performance enthusiast forum with "LS1" in the name.
The LS1 was made by GM and was put in the 1998-2002 Camaro, among other GM vehicles.
GM halted production on the Camaro and Firebird in 2002, due in large part to the lack of marketing and resulting poor sales (which may or may not have been on purpose).
GM brings back the Camaro in 2010 and immediately starts marketing it with guys in speedos sprawled out all over it.

You don't understand why some of us are "annoyed" with GM? I don't know how much more clear I can be. I'm tired of GM's shitty marketing.

Now, when you say things like you could "care less about my opinions regarding GM's advertising philosophy" that seems to indicate you're here for the wrong reasons. You're looking to instigate political and controversial discussions which don't belong on a performance enthusiast forum.

Seriously, take your trolling elsewhere.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Try to follow along this time:

You're on a performance enthusiast forum with "LS1" in the name.
The LS1 was made by GM and was put in the 1998-2002 Camaro, among other GM vehicles.
GM halted production on the Camaro and Firebird in 2002, due in large part to the lack of marketing and resulting poor sales (which may or may not have been on purpose).
GM brings back the Camaro in 2010 and immediately starts marketing it with guys in speedos sprawled out all over it.

You don't understand why some of us are "annoyed" with GM? I don't know how much more clear I can be. I'm tired of GM's shitty marketing.

Now, when you say things like you could "care less about my opinions regarding GM's advertising philosophy" that seems to indicate you're here for the wrong reasons. You're looking to instigate political and controversial discussions which don't belong on a performance enthusiast forum.

Seriously, take your trolling elsewhere.
If all we're allowed to talk about is solely performance than why was a thread started talking about marketing strategy? I'm only discussing what the OP started so get the sand out of your vagina and keep up.

Your upset over "GM's shitty marketing" as you state, I get it. But right now GM is outselling Mustang's and Challenger's so maybe they are doing something right? I don't care if they market it to pygmy Indians, they need to sell cars, they need to appeal to a wide variety of markets with a reduced product line, who gives a RAT's *** who the hell they market it to! As a "performance enthusiast" you should be happy that they are selling the **** out of these cars for the time being, which hopefully will result in a production run of longer than 4 years! Isn't that what we all want? This car to stay?

And I'm sorry this is getting your panties up in a bunch because I find discussing topics other than degreeing my cam shaft interesting.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

If all we're allowed to talk about is solely performance than why was a thread started talking about marketing strategy? I'm only discussing what the OP started so get the sand out of your vagina and keep up.
You just said you're not interested in what others think of GM's market strategy, yet you're still posting in this thread. So which is it?

Your upset over "GM's shitty marketing" as you state, I get it.
You get it? Really? Your next statements clearly show you don't.

But right now GM is outselling Mustang's and Challenger's so maybe they are doing something right? I don't care if they market it to pygmy Indians, they need to sell cars, they need to appeal to a wide variety of markets with a reduced product line, who gives a RAT's *** who the hell they market it to! As a "performance enthusiast" you should be happy that they are selling the **** out of these cars for the time being, which hopefully will result in a production run of longer than 4 years! Isn't that what we all want? This car to stay?
Ok, so you still don't get it.

You say you don't care if they market to pygmy Indians. How far do you take that? How about if they specifically market to polygamists (room for all your wives!)? Satanists? KKK? Neo *****? Gang bangers? Terrorists? A customer is a customer, according to you.

Sure that's taking it to the extreme, but here's another example. If GM or any company in America started specifically targeting hispanics living in America by airing Spanish ads on all major television networks, would you care? Do you think non-Spanish speaking citizens might get a little upset? Now imagine if GM started airing ads in a language that just 5% of Americans spoke. Can't you see how that might offend more than 5% of Americans that don't speak that language? Would you run a campaign to gain 5% of one demographic while losing 10-15% of your overall customer base? Does that make sense?

The point here is GM stood to lose more customers than they could ever hope to gain with this campaign. This is why I and others here care who GM specifically markets this vehicle to, and why you should as well.

And I'm sorry this is getting your panties up in a bunch because I find discussing topics other than degreeing my cam shaft interesting.
Wait, I have "sand in my vagina" *and* my "panties up in a bunch"?!?!? You sure I don't have a stick up my *** too?

All original, mature, and totally relevant comebacks aside, have you ever degreed a cam shaft?
Old 07-21-2009, 03:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

You say you don't care if they market to pygmy Indians. How far do you take that? How about if they specifically market to polygamists (room for all your wives!)? Satanists? KKK? Neo *****? Gang bangers? Terrorists? A customer is a customer, according to you...If GM or any company in America started specifically targeting hispanics living in America by airing Spanish ads on all major television networks, would you care? Do you think non-Spanish speaking citizens might get a little upset? Now imagine if GM started airing ads in a language that just 5% of Americans spoke. Can't you see how that might offend more than 5% of Americans that don't speak that language? Would you run a campaign to gain 5% of one demographic while losing 10-15% of your overall customer base? Does that make sense?

There you have it...I could care less if they marketed to any of those people. I'm not buying a political statement, I'm not buying a racial agenda, I'm buying a ******* car. Let me repeat that...I'm buying a ******* car! I buy it for what it does for me, not what it does for others. Market the damn car to suicide bombers for all I care, that doesn't effect me or reflect on WHO I am. I don't image myself after what I drive but apparently that is very important for you so by all means have at it.
Do you look at people who drive a VW as Hitler sympathizers too? BMW drivers for Jew killers? Where does it stop for you? When does a piece of steel with an engine stop being a political agenda for you?

Do you want an apology that because my originality is not up to your standards? Here's one for you...

...have you ever degreed a cam shaft?
Did it three weeks ago on my engine...are you seriously gonna do this pathetic my **** is bigger than yours routine? Get over yourself buddy and
Old 07-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

There you have it...I could care less if they marketed to any of those people. I'm not buying a political statement, I'm not buying a racial agenda, I'm buying a ******* car. Let me repeat that...I'm buying a ******* car! I buy it for what it does for me, not what it does for others. Market the damn car to suicide bombers for all I care, that doesn't effect me or reflect on WHO I am. I don't image myself after what I drive but apparently that is very important for you so by all means have at it.
Do you look at people who drive a VW as Hitler sympathizers too? BMW drivers for Jew killers? Where does it stop for you? When does a piece of steel with an engine stop being a political agenda for you?
I guess that's the difference between you and almost everyone else in this thread. You're in the minority if you don't care about the practices of the companies selling the products you buy. It's one thing not to care. It's a completely different thing not to understand why others *do* care. I'm not sure how "political agendas" have anything to do with this, but I guess that's par for the course?

If VW started running anti-semmetic ads on television, you bet your ******* *** people would have a problem with it and stop buying their cars because of it. Despite what you personally think about homosexuality, most of society still consists of heterosexual couples who believe sex and marriage should be between a man and a woman. It doesn't matter what *my* views are on this. I understand that we're not at a point, and we might never be, where an ad campaign involving a performance vehicle like the Camaro and targeting homosexuals will result in a positive net gain of customers. Don't bother with all that "culturally diverse" crap, this is all about the sheer volume of customers and the resulting bottom line.

:
Do you want an apology that because my originality is not up to your standards? Here's one for you...

Did it three weeks ago on my engine...are you seriously gonna do this pathetic my **** is bigger than yours routine? Get over yourself buddy and
I'm glad to see you've matured since your last post.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

you guys should agree to disagree.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

You're in the minority if you don't care about the practices of the companies selling the products you buy. It's one thing not to care. It's a completely different thing not to understand why others *do* care.
Practices?? Stretching it a little far there aren't you? Running out of playground so your taking the liberty to stretch the playing field? I'm not gonna support a company that is supporting arms smuggling in developing countries so they can keep their cheap labor rates, but if a auto manufacture wants to expand it's market demographic and advertise to people who are not me than what-the-****-ever. I don't care who or what minority group they choose to get sales from. But don't pawn off shady business practices as something I find irrelevant because you have no legs to stand on in your current argument.

...almost everyone else in this thread...You're in the minority

Whatever helps you sleep better at night buddy.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

If VW started running anti-semmetic ads on television, you bet your ******* *** people would have a problem with it and stop buying their cars because of it. Despite what you personally think about homosexuality, most of society still consists of heterosexual couples who believe sex and marriage should be between a man and a woman. It doesn't matter what *my* views are on this. I understand that we're not at a point, and we might never be, where an ad campaign involving a performance vehicle like the Camaro and targeting homosexuals will result in a positive net gain of customers. Don't bother with all that "culturally diverse" crap, this is all about the sheer volume of customers and the resulting bottom line.
Sir, you need to understand that homophobia is rapidly going out of style in this country. It doesn't matter if you think it's wrong to be gay, you don't have the authority to tell anyone else how to live their lives. And it really serves no purpose to get all offended every time you see a gay person in a public place like an ad. What does it matter to you?

And I fail to see how GM becoming more culturally diverse is a bad thing. They need to appeal to a lot of customers. I think we need to stop worrying and starting conflicts over such petty differences.

Last edited by infinitebird; 07-21-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by infinitebird
Sir, you need to understand that homophobia is rapidly going out of style in this country. It doesn't matter what you think sex should be about, you don't have the authority to tell anyone else how to live their lives. And it really serves no purpose to get all offended every time you see a gay person. What does it matter to you? It's their choice.
I have no problem with gay people being gay, just don't act like a ****** around me. It's one thing if someone's homosexual. It's another if they're in your face about it with how they act in public. Behave like a normal civilized human being and we'll get along just fine. If you're wearing clothes 4 sizes too small, slurring your s's intentionally, and prancing around like a 3 year-old, I'm going to hate you and you're going to deserve it. Just because you're gay doesn't mean you can't fit into society and function just the same as everyone else.

For anyone that was offended by that, **** you. Also, I just described 99% of the "gay-borhood" in Philadelphia.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by XxGarbSxX
I have no problem with gay people being gay, just don't act like a ****** around me. It's one thing if someone's homosexual. It's another if they're in your face about it with how they act in public. Behave like a normal civilized human being and we'll get along just fine. If you're wearing clothes 4 sizes too small, slurring your s's intentionally, and prancing around like a 3 year-old, I'm going to hate you and you're going to deserve it. Just because you're gay doesn't mean you can't fit into society and function just the same as everyone else.

For anyone that was offended by that, **** you. Also, I just described 99% of the "gay-borhood" in Philadelphia.

Those are called "Twinkies" in the gay community. It's not an act it's just how/who they are. I do agree 100% that they can curb their sexual aggressiveness towards people who obviously are not of their sexual persuasion.

But don't think it's an act, it's as much of an act as Micheal Jordon is a great athlete, Jerry Seinfeld is a great comedian, etc... just who they are really.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

And I fail to see how GM becoming more culturally diverse is a bad thing. They need to appeal to a lot of customers.
Regardless of how anybody feels about political agenda's, sexual preferences, religious predisposition...IMO this, what is quoted above, is all that it comes down too. If we support GM and want them to stick around for a while they are gonna need to depend on more than just we gear heads for market viability...get used to the idea.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

Sir, you need to understand that homophobia is rapidly going out of style in this country. It doesn't matter if you think it's wrong to be gay, you don't have the authority to tell anyone else how to live their lives. And it really serves no purpose to get all offended every time you see a gay person in a public place like an ad. What does it matter to you?
When did I say it's wrong to be gay?
When did I tell anyone here how to live their life?

As for seeing an ad in a public place with a gay guy in speedos sprawled out over the front of a Camaro, I believe you're way out of touch with America if you think America is ready for that. I'm all for GM selling cars, but they will lose more customers with that ad campaign than they could ever hope to gain, and that has nothing to do with my own personal feelings on the matter.

I'm trying to explain why this was a bad idea purely from a #'s perspective. You're trying to attack me as a "homophobe" and that's an easy word to throw around.

I love how so many gay people fight so vigilantly for their freedom of expression, yet it's not ok for someone brought up in a traditional manner to express their thoughts on the subject matter. You can throw around the words "homophobe" and "intolerance" so freely, yet it seems gays as a whole are way more intolerant towards those who were brought up believing marriage and sex should be between a man and a woman. You can say "it's going out of style", but I think people like Perez Hilton are doing way more damage to the perception of gays than anyone else, and gay people would be wise to stop cramming this "YOU MUST ACCEPT US AND SUPPORT EVERYTHING WE DO AND NOT EXPRESS YOUR OPINION UNLESS IT FALLS IN LINE WITH OURS" message down everybody's throats. That really is how it's coming across.

And I fail to see how GM becoming more culturally diverse is a bad thing. They need to appeal to a lot of customers. I think we need to stop worrying and starting conflicts over such petty differences.
I've said this umpteen times in here. Call me selfish, but I care more about GM selling cars than becoming "culturally diverse." They stopped production on the car I love because of shitty marketing. This was another bad idea from a business standpoint that was going to result in a net loss of customers.

Put another way "it's nothing personal, it's just business".

Quick Reply: GM' Marketing The Camaro in a New Light