Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Another Toyota Recall...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the fact that bringing up toyota recalls ends with a topic on how bad minor GM problems are...wonder what toyotas secret is.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never understood Toyota's secret until I owned one...

...and the sail panel issue isn't exactly minor when it happens to your car. I thought people were blowing it way out of proportion until it happened to mine, and watched GM wash their hands of the entire thing.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I never understood Toyota's secret until I owned one...
...and now you realize that all the hype is BS?

...and the sail panel issue isn't exactly minor when it happens to your car. I thought people were blowing it way out of proportion until it happened to mine, and watched GM wash their hands of the entire thing.
Try getting any paint issues (or FRAME issues, for that matter) fixed by Toyota. You'll notice some major similarities to the sail panel issue. Paint problems are VERY expensive for auto manufacturers, they ALL avoid them like the plague.

A coworker of mine took his truck in because there was a hole rusted in the frame so large that you could fit a fully unfolded dollar bill through it. The dealer told him that he should have gotten the undercoating package when he bought it, because that's what frames on new trucks do. He had to go back with a lawyer and papers about the recall to get them to listen. Even after that, he ended up going to a different dealer to get it done.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
...and now you realize that all the hype is BS?
Everyone has a "friend" that has had a horror story with one brand or another...for me, my overall experience has been much better with my truck than it ever was with my Camaro. I still love my Camaro to death, and I still really enjoy driving it, but I'd have a hard time justifying buying another Chevy product unless it was something really special, or they really stepped up their quality (which it looks like they have in the past few years).

It is amazing how one bad experience can taint a person's view of a company...unfortunately for me, my tainted experience was with GM.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Restricted User

It is amazing how one bad experience can taint a person's view of a company...unfortunately for me, my tainted experience was with GM.
...and that's the problem right there. Just like you mentioned with the "friend" story of mine, it seems that everyone has had ONE bad american car and that was enough to turn them to imports for life. Yet they can have several problem imports, and that still won't send them back to American cars.

If you can confidently write off a manufacturer because you bought one bad example of a product of theirs, then you probably don't have alot of places to shop these days. From my experience, the world is about 90% junk, 10% quality.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Everyone has a "friend" that has had a horror story with one brand or another...for me, my overall experience has been much better with my truck than it ever was with my Camaro. I still love my Camaro to death, and I still really enjoy driving it, but I'd have a hard time justifying buying another Chevy product unless it was something really special, or they really stepped up their quality (which it looks like they have in the past few years).

Until your tacoma rusts out...
Old 09-21-2009, 12:23 AM
Staging Lane

ill just say this. I ve owned three toyota vehicles in my life two celicas which where given to me by my father, and a lexus sc 300, an 88 300 zx,a 5.0 mustang and two pontiac trans am's a lt1 and my current ls1. I drive alot and when i sold my celicas, one back to my dad they both had well over 200,000 miles on them original engines and trannies my first one was a 85 and had 270k on the clock the other had 230k both where awesomely reliable, i then bought a mustang with 110k burned up altenators like crazy six in 5 months, but other than that it was ok, my lt1 was utter crap thrown rod whining rear and horrible vibrating driveshaft, my toyota built lexus had 150,000 when i sold it but had mutiple problems with it brake master, caliper came loose,very dangerous, cam seals and others by far worst toyota product i owned. My current ls1 with 148k, just peachy damn well built engine the ls1 is although the t tops on my 10 year older z seal up way better in the rain. My point being for the most part toyota and GM and the others like honda and so forth can build a good car with exceptions on all sides so i see no point in bashing toyota or GM unless its a damn Mitsubishi those cars are utter CRAP!!!!

Quick Reply: Another Toyota Recall...