Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Yahoo calls Chevy drivers stupid

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 11:35 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Funny thing about statistics; 100% of them can be made to say anything you want, 100% of the time. All you have to do is leave out some test info/parameters and BAM, you can spin the results any way you like within the text of a news article.

I have 4 Chevys at the moment, ranging in age from 5 years to 38 years old. I use the internet every single day. I have zero college education, but I'm relatively well off finanacially based on old fashioned hard work and smart money management. I'm anti-liberal, anti-green, and anti-fad. I beleive people should be able to own guns. I beleive that traffic cameras are anti-American and should be outlawed. I don't think the government has the right to tell me that I *must* wear a seatbelt or be fined. I don't need a government that tries to "protect me from myself". I think for myself, and don't do or buy things just to follow a crowd or trend. I don't like big government, and I don't like paying more taxes for "the greater good". I don't like "change" just for the sake of change; problems need to be specifically indentified and possibile solutions need to be carefully studied, considered, and debated before any action is taken. I beleive that we MUST be certain of what positives we're giving up every time we change something to "fix" a negative. I'm not willing to give up my freedom in the name of saftey, just because the government tells me I should. Remember, in 1959 Cuba opted for change, and look where that got them.

And lastly, I like the simplicity of old cars, and I'm not "wowed" into spending money on lots of flashy/blinky new technology that is simply unnecessary. I like Chevy, and I beleive in GM's ability to build a good product. I buy what I like, and I like what I buy. Most Honda buyers do so because they want to follow a crowd, or trend, of other "sheeple" like themselves. If that makes them more intelligent, then all I have to say is, I'm glad to be an idiot.

So maybe some of their info about me was correct.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a lot of you are making assumptions. Nowhere in the article were the words stupid or smart ever used, simply a survey of who had a college education, who uses the internet, etc. which are facts. The reasons were not stated...many Chevy/Ford owners are probably older than Honda owners, and never have or will go online. Many of the people that buy American cars are Big 3 workers, and those jobs do not require college degrees. There are explanations for the findings of the survey.

I own a 98 Trans Am (previously 2 other f-bodies as well) and I have a Honda Accord. I love both of the cars. I take offense to the import bashing...they are just different animals. My Accord is far more reliable than any f-body I've owned, smooth, quiet, etc. It's frankly a superior daily driver, however, it's not nearly as fun because even with the V6, it doesn't rip the tires or have all of those sweet V8 sounds like the TA. They serve different purposes. Honda will never make a super performance muscle car with a large V8, and the GM/Ford still cannot make quite as reliable and quiet (sure boring) sedan as Toyota and Honda. It is what it is, facts are facts, just leave it at that. Because some of us are not die hard American car buyers (I used to be, but they ruined it for me), we're just objective buyers that look at our vehicle needs and assess accordingly, which means sometimes buying a Honda or other import. Which is a funny term, since half of them are made in the US anyway. My Honda was made right here in Ohio, and my F-body was made in Canada. Go figure.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

well said.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

That is the most retarded article I have ever read. I hate it when people think, just because you drive this car or have this hand bag, or wear these clothes, you are automatically "this" type of person.

I wear tattered t-shirts and oil stained clothes, it doesn't mean I am poor nor dirty. I simply don't give a ****.

**** off yahoo...and all the other idiots that think they can see what type of person someone is, by their so called "image". Just because I buy a used Chevy, I am now uneducated and poor? I know it's just statistics but basically they are saying Honda = smart. Chevy = dumbass hillbilly, uneducated and can't use the internet.

Last edited by allbaugh_04; 11-04-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:46 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverV6Camaro
I think a lot of you are making assumptions. Nowhere in the article were the words stupid or smart ever used, simply a survey of who had a college education, who uses the internet, etc. which are facts.
These are not exactly "facts" because the survey pool was likely too small. You could spin things the other way too, and use this site as your survey pool, therefore saying that 100% of Chevy owners regularly use the internet.

The reasons were not stated...There are explanations for the findings of the survey.
Exactly, which is why this stuff is not exactly "fact". As I stated above, any statistic can be spun any way you'd like, depending on the survey pool and what info you release about the test group.

My Accord is far more reliable than any f-body I've owned, smooth, quiet, etc. It's frankly a superior daily driver
That's an opinion you've based on your own experiance. By the same token, my experiance has been opposite. I had the misfortune of daily driving my wife's Toyota for 6 years, let me tell you my F-bodies have been better cars in every way (ride, power, MPG vs CID, reliability).

GM/Ford still cannot make quite as reliable and quiet (sure boring) sedan as Toyota and Honda. It is what it is, facts are facts, just leave it at that.
Right, facts are facts, but the fact is that these days, GM does in fact make cars that are just as reliable as the imports (if surveys and studies mean anything to you, personally I've had nothing but great experiances with my GM cars for years, which is why I keep buying them...regardless of surveys)

Because some of us are not die hard American car buyers (I used to be, but they ruined it for me), we're just objective buyers that look at our vehicle needs and assess accordingly, which means sometimes buying a Honda or other import.
An objective buyer would then realize that new GM cars are ranked right on par (via industry surveys) with the imports, and that being an "import" fan is no more or less necessary than being a GM fan, in terms of buying a vehicle that both suits your needs and provides a comparable level of reliability and efficiency. But that's just for you objective people. I really pay very little attention to surveys, I just buy what's worked well in my experiance. GM has never given me a reason to look elsewhere. I see no reason for change unless I find myself unhappy with something.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Funny thing about statistics; 100% of them can be made to say anything you want, 100% of the time. All you have to do is leave out some test info/parameters and BAM, you can spin the results any way you like within the text of a news article.

I have 4 Chevys at the moment, ranging in age from 5 years to 38 years old. I use the internet every single day. I have zero college education, but I'm relatively well off finanacially based on old fashioned hard work and smart money management. I'm anti-liberal, anti-green, and anti-fad. I beleive people should be able to own guns. I beleive that traffic cameras are anti-American and should be outlawed. I don't think the government has the right to tell me that I *must* wear a seatbelt or be fined. I don't need a government that tries to "protect me from myself". I think for myself, and don't do or buy things just to follow a crowd or trend. I don't like big government, and I don't like paying more taxes for "the greater good". I don't like "change" just for the sake of change; problems need to be specifically indentified and possibile solutions need to be carefully studied, considered, and debated before any action is taken. I beleive that we MUST be certain of what positives we're giving up every time we change something to "fix" a negative. I'm not willing to give up my freedom in the name of saftey, just because the government tells me I should. Remember, in 1959 Cuba opted for change, and look where that got them.

And lastly, I like the simplicity of old cars, and I'm not "wowed" into spending money on lots of flashy/blinky new technology that is simply unnecessary. I like Chevy, and I beleive in GM's ability to build a good product. I buy what I like, and I like what I buy. Most Honda buyers do so because they want to follow a crowd, or trend, of other "sheeple" like themselves. If that makes them more intelligent, then all I have to say is, I'm glad to be an idiot.

So maybe some of their info about me was correct.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Don't suppose you listen to Walton & Johnson huh?
Old 11-04-2009, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

I think a lot of you are making assumptions. Nowhere in the article were the words stupid or smart ever used, simply a survey of who had a college education, who uses the internet, etc. which are facts. The reasons were not stated...many Chevy/Ford owners are probably older than Honda owners, and never have or will go online. Many of the people that buy American cars are Big 3 workers, and those jobs do not require college degrees. There are explanations for the findings of the survey.

I own a 98 Trans Am (previously 2 other f-bodies as well) and I have a Honda Accord. I love both of the cars. I take offense to the import bashing...they are just different animals. My Accord is far more reliable than any f-body I've owned, smooth, quiet, etc. It's frankly a superior daily driver, however, it's not nearly as fun because even with the V6, it doesn't rip the tires or have all of those sweet V8 sounds like the TA. They serve different purposes. Honda will never make a super performance muscle car with a large V8, and the GM/Ford still cannot make quite as reliable and quiet (sure boring) sedan as Toyota and Honda. It is what it is, facts are facts, just leave it at that. Because some of us are not die hard American car buyers (I used to be, but they ruined it for me), we're just objective buyers that look at our vehicle needs and assess accordingly, which means sometimes buying a Honda or other import. Which is a funny term, since half of them are made in the US anyway. My Honda was made right here in Ohio, and my F-body was made in Canada. Go figure.
I can agree with most of the first paragraph but the rest is just opinionated jibberish. While your Accord may be quieter, smoother, and possibly more reliable than your f-body, it damn well should be because that's its sole purpose. Those two cars should never be compared under any circumstances. It is not at all fact that Honda or Toyota make better, more reliable, or quieter cars than GM, especially their newer vehicles. I worked at a Honda dealership in service and parts for two years and there's no better place to see the true quality of their cars, and the type of people that drive them. The supposed "statistics" in that article are complete BS, that's the only FACT here
Old 11-05-2009, 08:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NSSANE02
I can agree with most of the first paragraph but the rest is just opinionated jibberish. While your Accord may be quieter, smoother, and possibly more reliable than your f-body, it damn well should be because that's its sole purpose. Those two cars should never be compared under any circumstances. It is not at all fact that Honda or Toyota make better, more reliable, or quieter cars than GM, especially their newer vehicles. I worked at a Honda dealership in service and parts for two years and there's no better place to see the true quality of their cars, and the type of people that drive them. The supposed "statistics" in that article are complete BS, that's the only FACT here
I didn't compare them. In fact, I say that they are completely different beasts with different purposes. If you read Consumer reports, the majority of Honda and Toyota models hold up far better over the long run than American nameplates, and their info is based on owner surveys. Have American cars closed the gap? Absolutely they are better...Ford in fact is leading the pack and closing in on Toyota and Honda in reliability. GM still has some work to do.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

WJ, baby!

Quick Reply: Yahoo calls Chevy drivers stupid