Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

370Z: Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Juicy J
Haha I remember now that you mentioned the helmet. That was hilarious.
I love that part so much haha. Stig wearing James's purple/pink striped shirt is one of my favorite topgear memories.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Veteran

its a very simple thing... as power goes up, speed goes up, yur focus must also go up when driving fast because the speed does not allow for **** ups and slow reactions.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Launching!

i think its hilarious the ZR1 smoked an Ariel atom, LP670 lambo, audi, etc. around the track..
Old 01-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

thats just retarded thats the 370Z Nismo comes with nissan calipers.....i used to own 2004 track edition 350Z and it came from the factory 6 fawking years ago with brembro's and it performed great around the twisties!

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
In a car like that, you are not really driving it, you are respectfully asking it not to kill you.
bwahhahaaaa awesome!!!!
Old 01-08-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Tainted
640hp is a bad excuse for shitty handeling. ferarris FXX has 850hp and they dont bitch about its handeling any or the pagani and porsche and plenty of others with similar hp
You could not be more wrong if you think any of those cars deserve anything less than widow maker status. More power and higher limits=more scary.

Here is a quote from the article: "Eventually, the Lambo came alive when we really started pushing it and the track warmed up: Some of the rear-end grip went away, which allowed us to rotate the big Lambo into corners and get the power down sooner."

Notice that the car went faster as grip went DOWN. The most "planted" car is not always the best handling or the fastest. The ZR1 is faster due in large part to its handling (the straights showed if anything it had a slight power disadvantage to the lambo).
Old 01-08-2010, 08:54 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of cars experience brake fade. On a magazine rag doll car I wouldn't doubt the brake fluid hasn't been changed since it left the dealer. In which case it's been beat to death, and the brake fluid is probably junk. Those cars are like orgy ******, and just get passed around.

The 370Z is still a good car, with I'm sure a decent brake setup.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:08 PM
11 Second Club

the braking issue has nothing to do with the calipers. The brakes are made I believe by akebono, which is like the japanese brembo. The brakes on those cars are pretty damn serious. but they must put ****** autozone pads on those things. With a pad change I doubt you'de ever have a problem even at the track
Old 01-09-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1camaro95
Try doing repeat 100mph+ of nailing the brakes with our stock F-bodies and see how soon you have no brakes. Maybe the first try. If you are driving a car on the road course you need road course brakes. If you go to the drag strip, you need drag tires. Same concept. I don't expect track brakes on a 35-40K car, maybe on a 50k car like a Z06.
Interesting you should make that comparison, considering the Mustang GT in this test is equipped with basically the same exact brakes as LS1 F-bodies came with, being dual piston PBR aluminum calipers up front and single piston aluminum calipers in the rear. Same size rotors up front as well.

Yet the Mustang GT didn't experience any dramatic fade, the pedal never even got close to touching the floor, and the car never crashed.

Track brakes should come on any car thats designed to be driven in a performance manner. Power is useless without control, and a large part of that control is brakes. Nissan sells you a $40,000 370Z with the NISMO package, which is basically the track pack according to the Nissan website. yet they equip it with a shitty brake system and inferior calipers.

My '08 Cobalt SS came with Brembos from the factory, there is no excuse for Nissan cheaping out on them.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sciff5
the braking issue has nothing to do with the calipers. The brakes are made I believe by akebono, which is like the japanese brembo. The brakes on those cars are pretty damn serious. but they must put ****** autozone pads on those things. With a pad change I doubt you'de ever have a problem even at the track
Thats basically an insult to Brembo. Akebono is best known for their calieprs that came on Jeep Grand Cherokees. Not high performance brake systems.

Look at the Nissan GTR, Subaru STI, and Mitsubishi Evolution. All equipped with Brembos, even though Brembo is Italian and Akebono is Japanese. They wanted good brakes, not something thats going to fail after 2 laps, which is why they went with the best. Theres a reason Brembos are used on almost all high end performance cars, and its because they are top quality.

The brakes on the 370Z obviously aren't "serious", or the car wouldn't have crashed. Pads won't make the pedal drop to the floor either. The 350Z had track pads, and those brakes were still horrible. You honestly think all the other cars in the test were equipped with track pads?? No, they were equipped with OEM pads designed for street and light track use. Yet nobody else had this problem. Don't try and make excuses, Nissans entire brake systems are junk.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Interesting you should make that comparison, considering the Mustang GT in this test is equipped with basically the same exact brakes as LS1 F-bodies came with, being dual piston PBR aluminum calipers up front and single piston aluminum calipers in the rear. Same size rotors up front as well.

Yet the Mustang GT didn't experience any dramatic fade, the pedal never even got close to touching the floor, and the car never crashed.

Track brakes should come on any car thats designed to be driven in a performance manner. Power is useless without control, and a large part of that control is brakes. Nissan sells you a $40,000 370Z with the NISMO package, which is basically the track pack according to the Nissan website. yet they equip it with a shitty brake system and inferior calipers.

My '08 Cobalt SS came with Brembos from the factory, there is no excuse for Nissan cheaping out on them.
Agreed. The stock 4th gen brakes are far from the best but they hold up fairly well and were often praised by the rags for their fade resistance.

In one of my favorite old road and track articles a 2001 SS beat the M roadster, S2000, slk320 and boxster S around Thunderhill Park.

The z's brakes, harsh engine, and overall performance is embarrassing for a $40k car advertised as a track toy.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:30 AM
***Repost Police***

All the more reason to buy a base 370Z for ~$30k and go from there
Old 01-17-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
All the more reason to buy a base 370Z for ~$30k and go from there
If Nissan's "track" brakes are that bad, I can only imagine how bad their standard brakes are....
Old 01-19-2010, 10:49 AM
***Repost Police***

Probably about the same... which is why I said "go from there." IE; don't leave it stock
Old 01-19-2010, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah a lot of the time it's cheaper to buy a lower end model and upgrade it than buying a the higher end one.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Ke^in
Yeah a lot of the time it's cheaper to buy a lower end model and upgrade it than buying a the higher end one.
Cheaper...could be...stupid? yes, IMO. You will end up modifying them both right? So, why go with the lower end of the spectrum when the higher end is a better "modding" base to start with. What you say is only true if both models (cheap and high end) share the same mechanics and the difference is cosmetic, if the best drivetrain and engine is in the high end model...why not getting that instead?
Old 01-19-2010, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chaman
Cheaper...could be...stupid? yes, IMO. You will end up modifying them both right? So, why go with the lower end of the spectrum when the higher end is a better "modding" base to start with. What you say is only true if both models (cheap and high end) share the same mechanics and the difference is cosmetic, if the best drivetrain and engine is in the high end model...why not getting that instead?
Well it's one thing when you're talking about the higher end model having a better drivetrain or a lighter chassis. But in the case of cars like the base Z vs its optioned performance model, all you're talking about is some slightly better factory suspension parts. Aftermarket replacements will beat that out all day long. I would never pay extra on a toy like the Z for better suspension, brake pads, or tires. Those are things I'd likely replace myself anyways.....and with far better hardware than OEM stuff.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:18 PM
Banned

So it has shitty rotors..... is it that big if a deal?
Old 01-19-2010, 07:42 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by amstech
On the car that is supposed to be "track prepped?" I'd say so.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by amstech
More like shitty pads, calipers, and rotors. Basically a really shitty brake system on a $40,000 car that supposed to be "track ready".
Old 01-26-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
More like shitty pads, calipers, and rotors. Basically a really shitty brake system on a $40,000 car that supposed to be "track ready".
I thought they said the pedal went to the floor. Which is indicative of boiling brake fluid, and considering solids aren't compressible, its most likely what is at fault. I don't recall this happening with any f-bodys that were magazine tested. Not that it couldn't happen.

Last edited by TT632; 01-26-2010 at 04:16 PM.

Quick Reply: 370Z: Failure