Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

370Z: Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 370Z: Failure

Just got my new issue of Car and Driver and read the article about the 2009 Lightning Lap at Virginia International Raceway. There were some very impressive times this year but one that wasn't so impressive: The 370Z. Its brakes are so bad that not only could they not hold up to track use, but the car actually crashed. The pedal just went to the floor when they tried to slow down for one of the turns, resulting in the 370Z smashing into the retaining wall.

Note that NONE of the other cars had this problem. There were no other brake failures, no other cars had their brakes drop to the floor. When inspected, it was discovered that nothing had broken, the poorly designed brake system had just overheated resulting in temporary but near deadly loss of braking.

How does this happen in a car thats supposed to be track ready?? Thats the entire idea behind the NISMO package, that its for the track. A major part of the problem lies in Nissan's shitty calipers. Instead of using Brembos on a $40,000 car, they chose to use their own calipers, which are garbage. Nissan blamed the brake pads, which also makes no sense considering there wasn't just an increase in force needed to stop, the pedal actually dropped dead to the floor.

Here's the link:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...p_2009-feature
Old 01-06-2010, 10:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

i h8 nissan. this is just fueling my fire
Old 01-07-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats a shame i like the looks of the 370z i think itd be perfect with an ls3
Old 01-07-2010, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tainted
thats a shame i like the looks of the 370z i think itd be perfect with an ls3
It still would be. You'll just need to go with a complete aftermarket brake replacement.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Restricted User

Should be no surprise considering the massive disaster that is the GT-R.

Shame though, I actually like the 370z. The only problem I had with it is that the interior is way too small for me. But then i'm 6'2" 200lbs so I guess the car is just not designed for guys of my stature..
Old 01-07-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They've got a side bar about that story in the same issue talking about how Nissan's engineer's said the brakes needed to be upgraded for nismo package, but the bean counter's wouldn't do it. I would bet they were excited they failed in this test so they can strong arm the upgraded brakes they wanted to put on there.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just another reason why accountants shouldn't be allowed to make engineering decisions. It's been happening at GM for years and look what happened.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

This will be good....hey guys I brought popcorn!!

Let the beating begin!!!
Old 01-07-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Off the topic but it looks like the ZR1 had the fastest lap.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:42 AM
TECH Regular

Watch for a new break replacement for these cars. I still think 370s are decent cars. Not everyone that buys them are going to be running them on the track like this, therefore the break issue wont really be a problem IMHO.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try doing repeat 100mph+ of nailing the brakes with our stock F-bodies and see how soon you have no brakes. Maybe the first try. If you are driving a car on the road course you need road course brakes. If you go to the drag strip, you need drag tires. Same concept. I don't expect track brakes on a 35-40K car, maybe on a 50k car like a Z06.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lt1camaro95
Try doing repeat 100mph+ of nailing the brakes with our stock F-bodies and see how soon you have no brakes. Maybe the first try. If you are driving a car on the road course you need road course brakes. If you go to the drag strip, you need drag tires. Same concept. I don't expect track brakes on a 35-40K car, maybe on a 50k car like a Z06.
Thats not exactly a fair comparison at all. The 370Z Nismo, and a 4th gen Fbody are 2 different cars, with 2 different purposes. The 370Z Nismo car was designed around track duty. The Nismo package is supposed to be the upgraded handling and performance package. The car simply did not hold up to its hype.

I fail to see your point.

On another note, alot of magazines aren't exactly raving about the ZR1's handling characteristics. It was the fastest car around the track, pulled the hardest G's right behind the X-Bow, but they say it is just plain scary to drive. They say it is extremely finiky, and will come out from underneath you really quick.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Juicy J
Thats not exactly a fair comparison at all. The 370Z Nismo, and a 4th gen Fbody are 2 different cars, with 2 different purposes. The 370Z Nismo car was designed around track duty. The Nismo package is supposed to be the upgraded handling and performance package. The car simply did not hold up to its hype.
Exactly right...the f-body is a muscle car...a stoplight racer...etc. What does it need good brakes for?

The 370z is a definitive sports car. It needs good brakes. These days we have certain standards for all types of cars, and one that certainly applies here is that a modern sports car needs to have brakes that can handle a hot lap or two. Not necessarily a day of racing, but at least a good hard run. On top of that this Nismo Z was supposed to be a track car. So it needs brakes that can handle a day of racing.

On another note, alot of magazines aren't exactly raving about the ZR1's handling characteristics. It was the fastest car around the track, pulled the hardest G's right behind the X-Bow, but they say it is just plain scary to drive. They say it is extremely finiky, and will come out from underneath you really quick.
640hp will do that. Believe me I know from personal experience...at that power level, there's no front engined platform that won't be finicky...in fact I dare say the correct word is scary. In a car like that, you are not really driving it, you are respectfully asking it not to kill you.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
In a car like that, you are not really driving it, you are respectfully asking it not to kill you.
Cerbera Speed 12, up in this mother ******!

Old 01-08-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
640hp will do that. Believe me I know from personal experience...at that power level, there's no front engined platform that won't be finicky...in fact I dare say the correct word is scary. In a car like that, you are not really driving it, you are respectfully asking it not to kill you.
640HP is definitely the problem, if you can call it that. The ZR1 was exiting the corners as quick as anyone, if not faster. If you are driving a light, 640hp, RWD car, and giving it gas out of a corner going 70+mph, you have to expect it to be a little bit scary.

I was very surprised to see the Grand Sport was quicker than the R8. It still doesn't quite make sense to me.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

640hp is a bad excuse for shitty handeling. ferarris FXX has 850hp and they dont bitch about its handeling any or the pagani and porsche and plenty of others with similar hp
Old 01-08-2010, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

640hp is a bad excuse for shitty handeling. ferarris FXX has 850hp and they dont bitch about its handeling any or the pagani and porsche and plenty of others with similar hp
The ZR1 obviously isn't a shitty handling car by any standards.

Lets compare Nurburgring times.
Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZR1 - 7:26.4
Pagani Zonda F Clubsport - 7:24.7
Ferrari 430 Scuderia - 7:39

I wouldn't say the ZR1 fairs too bad considering the price of its competition.

All the editors are saying is it will get away from you if you aren't completely focused... but you can't exactly say it handles bad. Going around the track at a high rate of speed in a 640hp car is not for the faint of heart.

I also remember watching a clip of Top Gear with the Pagani Zonda. I forget who was driving, but they were losing control constantly. The only person that could get the car around the track quickly was the Stig. Thats my recollection of that episode anyways... maybe I don't remember correctly.

Anyways, we are getting a bit off topic.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Restricted User

The FXX is a totally different platform. Mid engined cars are a whole different animal. I don't know if you have track experience so I don't mean any disrespect, but you can talk to anyone who has driven high powered mid-engined cars close to their limit and they will tell you it's almost like learning to drive again. The car acts very different because of it's architecture. Some people look at this as a good thing, some look at it as a bad thing. Guys who are good at handling high-powered front engined cars will have some advantages over the mid engined cars...coming into a turn too hot in a front-engined car can be corrected by purposely breaking the rear loose and powersliding. That's not happening in any mid-engined car...that driver will be heading for the dirt (or worse - the wall - see video of eddie griffin doing exactly that in an enzo on youtube). That's just one of many examples of the differences in dynamics between the different types of platforms. Front engined cars are often preferred thanks to lower maintenance costs and generally better reliability. Mid-engined cars get preference in some cases because they tend to be alot easier to drive at the limit...however that doesn't mean that they handle better.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:04 PM
11 Second Club

I also remember watching a clip of Top Gear with the Pagani Zonda. I forget who was driving, but they were losing control constantly. The only person that could get the car around the track quickly was the Stig. Thats my recollection of that episode anyways... maybe I don't remember correctly.
It was James May, and then James put his "helmet" on so he could drive much much better
Old 01-08-2010, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gaunt
It was James May, and then James put his "helmet" on so he could drive much much better
Haha I remember now that you mentioned the helmet. That was hilarious.

Quick Reply: 370Z: Failure