Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2011 Mustang V6 - first car to achieve 300+hp and 30+mpg

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 06:44 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I would imagine that it's not all that hard either yet I'm still not seeing any.
Just as I have also yet to see one that has been able to produces a car that:

runs high 11s
goes 190+mph
pulls over .90g on a skidpad
rides relatively comfortably/quietly with AC, power everything, room for two adults and ample storage space
gets over 30mpg on the highway
costs under $49k (even less after rebates/discounts)
And we aren't seeing any 300hp+ cars that get over 30mpg from GM either. Does that mean that Ford is now better than GM in your eyes? I suppose that you think no foreign manufacturers are capable of making such a car? I'm all for being patriotic, but that's a bit much. And as for the reference to the Corvette, I love Corvettes... not sure what you're getting at.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
And we aren't seeing any 300hp+ cars that get over 30mpg from GM either. Does that mean that Ford is now better than GM in your eyes? I suppose that you think no foreign manufacturers are capable of making such a car? I'm all for being patriotic, but that's a bit much. And as for the reference to the Corvette, I love Corvettes... not sure what you're getting at.
The point is that it's not that they can't, it's that they don't.
When they try to do such, they're smaller (more efficient) engines actually hurt them.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mean... not that hard I would imagine.
Then why don't they do it? The only foreign car I can think of that even comes close is the Nissan Z but it's only rated at 26 mpg highway, about the same as what our V8s get.

GM does make a car with 300+ hp and 30 mpg... the Vette. But in some aspects, yes, Ford is superior to GM. Take management for example, Ford wins hands down. Even the biggest GM fanboy will admit that GM was mismanaged for years.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

CAFE is going to force all the makes into the same little tiny car bottle. 2 passenger jelly beans with 1.0 liter turbo diesels.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by assasinator
CAFE is going to force all the makes into the same little tiny car bottle. 2 passenger jelly beans with 1.0 liter turbo diesels.
Not necessarily. CAFE is a corporate average, so if a car company sells a lot of hybrids, flex fuel cars and economy cars then they can still make some big cars and cars with big engines. BTW, even if a company fails to meet CAFE standards, it's not like they go out of business, they just have to pay a fine. How do you think Ferrari meets CAFE standards in America every year? They don't, they pay the fine, pass it along to the consumer, and continue to sell their cars.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Im not impressed, my modded cobalt ss has done this for years, 300 WHEEL horsepower and 35mpg highway. Heck even some 6 speed LS1s can do this with a tune. As for a stock car, the 09 Cobalt SS with the GM stage 1 kit does it too.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:30 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

And we aren't seeing any 300hp+ cars that get over 30mpg from GM either.
Originally Posted by Latch
GM does make a car with 300+ hp and 30 mpg... the Vette.
Exactly.

I suppose that you think no foreign manufacturers are capable of making such a car?
Ahh the old "oh we could do that if we really wanted to, we simply choose not to though" response.
Sort of reminds me of the guys in junior high school that used to claim that they could bang the hottest girl in school if they wanted to, but they just "didn't want to" so they passed.

It's a feat, a true accomplishment...if it was so easy to do, then they would.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Several people on Camaro5 have gotten as high as 32mpg in their 2010 v6 Camaro.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:49 AM
TECH Addict

impressive for the new Mustang V6 i like the new mustang redesign. As for other cars getting good mileage my car is putting 409rwhp and can still pull 31-33mpg highway at 65-75mph
Old 03-07-2010, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
The Camaro's V6 makes great power as well it's just that the car is so damn heavy and it holds it back a bit.

Well the new Taurus is similar to the Fusion underneath (I think?) and it comes with a twin turbo 3.7L V6 so at least some of the parts are out there for a Mustang V6TT.
The new Taurus is a rebadged Volvo S80, the Fusion is a rebadged Mazda6, neither car was actually developed for Ford, nor in house by Ford. Most of their cars are rebadges their Jap or Euro sub companie's, the Mustang, Ranger, and F150 being exceptions off the top of my head.

On topic though, looks like the new Mustang may do better than compete with the new Camaro.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

well my turbo 4.6 4v can easily get 30mpg if i drive it easy enough... but that isnt EPA certified. and neither are any other v8's. "i can get 'this' or 'that'" isnt epa certified.

chevy cobalt = 260hp/30mpg---- EPA estimated
chevy corvette= 436hp/26mpg--EPA
chevy camaro = 426hp/24mpg---EPA

we all get better then EPA if we want to. but epa certified is what it is. nothing else is.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Agreed, I thought I already made it clear on the first page...........a car's rated average mpg and the "best" mpg it's capable of are two different things. Just about every car made these days can achieve mileage better than its official rating. So if your car was rated at 25 mpg, but achieves up to 30 mpg.......it's safe to assume that a car that's rated at 30 mpg will be capable of quite a bit more than 30 mpg. I honestly don't know what all the "my car makes a kajillion HP and still gets 40 mpg" stroking in here is all about.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

The problem too is the damn weight; The new Camaro is 200lbs too heavy. Ford Mustang is still low on weight while Challenger is the heavier.

Same GM V6 engine in the lighter Mustang would do same mpg..

GM was mismanaged for years and now they have a chance to listen;

THE NEW CAMARO IS TOO HEAVY, it will get beat by the new Mustang in performance(straigth line and cornering), fuel economy and finally by sale numbers. If GM dont listen to people for the new Camaro and dont try to improve it, we might end up facing 2002 again...end of Camaro.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I love the LS series engine and I will get a 2010 camaro in a few years, but when the new 5.0l will be out, everyone will be astonished by the hp/liter ratio and how better it is than the 6.2l from GM because of the DOHC and the 4v bla bla bla...

I dont give a **** because I know the tremendous potential of the LS engines, but the average car guy dont, and dont give a ****. They'll just brag about how his small 5.0l beats a 6.2l....

I hope GM will respond quickly to this 5.0l Mustang!!
Old 03-07-2010, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
The problem too is the damn weight; The new Camaro is 200lbs too heavy. Ford Mustang is still low on weight while Challenger is the heavier.

Same GM V6 engine in the lighter Mustang would do same mpg..

GM was mismanaged for years and now they have a chance to listen;

THE NEW CAMARO IS TOO HEAVY, it will get beat by the new Mustang in performance(straigth line and cornering), fuel economy and finally by sale numbers. If GM dont listen to people for the new Camaro and dont try to improve it, we might end up facing 2002 again...end of Camaro.
Holden is already revising the Zeta chassis for better fuel economy and to make it lighter. They are tossing out as much metal as they can and maintain it's crash rating. The Camaro will get lighter.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Originally Posted by Josh_101
Several people on Camaro5 have gotten as high as 32mpg in their 2010 v6 Camaro.
****** stole my avatar!
Old 03-09-2010, 01:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by justin455
****** stole my avatar!
Actually I've had it for a few years here, just never was real active since I dont have an LSx ride yet. (I'd like to get a 05+ Corvette but I have to pay off my Dodge Dakota first)
Old 03-09-2010, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kain01
Holden is already revising the Zeta chassis for better fuel economy and to make it lighter. They are tossing out as much metal as they can and maintain it's crash rating. The Camaro will get lighter.
If that's true then that's great.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
when the new 5.0l will be out, everyone will be astonished by the hp/liter ratio and how better it is than the 6.2l from GM because of the DOHC and the 4v bla bla bla...

the average car guy dont, and dont give a ****. They'll just brag about how his small 5.0l beats a 6.2l....
Also all the car mags will eat this up and will push it hard through the media.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:43 AM
Banned

its crazy to think that the fox 5.0 had 205 hp and only got 17mpg. the new v6 has 300 hp and gets 30 mpg. technology, ya gotta love it

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang V6 - first car to achieve 300+hp and 30+mpg