Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Toyota tries to cover up problem...again

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well here is a prius shifter. Not the typical P-R-N-D setup. I have drove many Prius's and never had a problem shifting to neutral while moving. Cant shift into reverse while the car is in forward motion, I tried, it doesnt work like that due to speed sensitive lockout.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

guess what, 2008 prius' have a brake override that disables the gas when the brake is pressed. this guy is full of ****
Old 03-17-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guy must be related to Ballon Boys Dad
Old 03-17-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ThoR294
guess what, 2008 prius' have a brake override that disables the gas when the brake is pressed. this guy is full of ****
1. He was unable to stop it with the brakes, 2. accelerator wasn't working, 3. he couldn't turn off the car, and 4. couldn't shift into neutral.

Does anyone really believe that all of those could happen at the exact same time, that all of those systems would not function and if hypothetically if all that occured at the exact same time that there wouldn't be a trouble/fault code or something else recorded by the pcm.

I'm finding it hard to believe.
What do you think?
Old 03-17-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TZ2884
I also heard a report somewhere saying he was scared the car would flip or something.
That's a Toyota owner for you. Doesn't even know what neutral is.

Originally Posted by lt1camaro95

Well here is a prius shifter. Not the typical P-R-N-D setup.
WTF is that nonsense? Typical Japanese car.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Latch

WTF is that nonsense? Typical Japanese car.
LOL seriously. Look at that piece of ****...is it that hard to make a normal shift pattern??

Then again, these are the same people that brough us the Scion Xd and Xa...it goes without saying that they are freakin weirdos.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

yeah its very odd. lol
Old 03-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by proporio
1. He was unable to stop it with the brakes, 2. accelerator wasn't working, 3. he couldn't turn off the car, and 4. couldn't shift into neutral.
I use to drive at Toyota proving grounds as a second job. I have held brakes and gas at same time to get a better launch, hahah, prius launch, anyway, power is still being applied but not enough power to overpower brakes. You cannot turn the car off if it is in motion. The car has to be put into park which is a button on the dash to and the car has to be stopped to put it in park.

That shifter is kink of like a slap stick. It stays in that position on the right and you select either park, reverse, neutral, or brake which is like gearing down and also turns generators on to slow the car down. Neutral, Drive, and Brake can be selected while moving, reverse cannot.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

I use to drive at Toyota proving grounds as a second job. I have held brakes and gas at same time to get a better launch, hahah, prius launch, anyway, power is still being applied but not enough power to overpower brakes. You cannot turn the car off if it is in motion. The car has to be put into park which is a button on the dash to and the car has to be stopped to put it in park.

That shifter is kink of like a slap stick. It stays in that position on the right and you select either park, reverse, neutral, or brake which is like gearing down and also turns generators on to slow the car down. Neutral, Drive, and Brake can be selected while moving, reverse cannot.
It sounds to be like Toyota doesn't know how to make a car. Was it never brought up in the design, "What if the car needs to be shut off while in motion?" I was taught this in driver's ed.

If Toyota would've made their cars normal, they would not be having these problems...
Old 03-17-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

false, the cars turn off if you hold the button for 3 seconds or so. Just did it in my friends 05 prius. His car does not have the brake override though. It also goes right into neutral, regardless of the accelerator position. The guy in the news is so full of ****.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 96RamAirTA
i like having just a regular car with a spring and cable attached to my gas pedal! maybe all cars should be like that! seemed to work for a really long time
LOL I was also thinking they should stretch out a hanger or something to attach onto the pedal when I heard about this in the news.

false, the cars turn off if you hold the button for 3 seconds or so. Just did it in my friends 05 prius. His car does not have the brake override though. It also goes right into neutral, regardless of the accelerator position. The guy in the news is so full of ****.
Yeah, but if the brakes were in fact burned up as the patrol officer said, then doesn't that prove his case? I mean, unless he tampered with the override chip or something.

Anyway, this makes me glad that, 1, I drive a pre-government GM, and 2, with a manual trans. If my pedal ever got stuck, I could just pull the shifter to neutral at any time. I tried going 90+ mph on the freeway once at night to test something, and it was pretty tense. The slightest movement on the steering wheel and you feel it. Can't imagine how it would've been if I couldn't stop. I might've jumped out of the car or something. lmao

But on the subject of Japanese car stability, how severe are the reports against Honda? I thought I heard something about some of their cars having a problem with their brakes and steering. I've been thinking about getting a more fuel economic car.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:47 AM
TECH Regular

i use to have a 93 t-bird where the throttle got stuck but that was cuz the TB was clogged full of carbon!! and i could still shift in to nuetral. did eat my brake though. but i take the blame for that one since i didnt ever take care of it. now i clean the TB and seafoam my cars everyother oil change
Old 03-18-2010, 07:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Thats the Japanese culture though...never admit when you are wrong, cover the problem up, blame somebody else, maintain that its not your fault or your problem. Pretend your products are bulletproof, and it must be the fault of the operator.

And thats why they are in their current situation.
Exactly, prior to buying into the current Chevy dealership my dad is at now he used to work at a GMC/Olds/Cadillac/Pontiac - Subaru dealer. There are dozens of stories from 20 years ago when they had issues with Subaru's and the Japanese instructors at the training courses would flat out tell the Techs the problem they have isn't because of the car it's the drivers fault. Many issues they couldn't fix because Subaru would acknowledge a problem.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not from a person on my truck forum. A guy took his wife's prius out, it would not shut off while moving, it would not shift into neutral or any other gear while moving. Prius is drive by wire, I can see a software glitch in the ECM causing these accidents and possibly making the brake pedal safety not work either.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jon5212
Not from a person on my truck forum. A guy took his wife's prius out, it would not shut off while moving, it would not shift into neutral or any other gear while moving. Prius is drive by wire, I can see a software glitch in the ECM causing these accidents and possibly making the brake pedal safety not work either.
id love to see that pruis. I call ******* bullshit on not being able to shift into neutral or shut the car off
Old 03-18-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

id love to see that pruis. I call ******* bullshit on not being able to shift into neutral or shut the car off
Well then, do you call BS on this entire Toyota situation?

If the most likely cause, a PCM calibration problem, is to blame for the WOT events, is it too much of a stretch to believe that other PCM controlled functions may not be operating properly either? Like the brake override, or electronic shifter?

That firsthand example of yours is completely worthless. You have a properly functioning car that you're testing on.

Finally, anyone who has basic understanding of the OBD-II system knows that sensor faults don't always set DTCs, and PCM calibration issues almost NEVER set DTCs. Toyota techs in general are worthless. Unless it's a check engine light, a timing belt, or a flush they're lost. Why the Toyota engineers are so hung up on the "no DTC" issue is beyond me - but then again these are the same guys that did the programming in the first place
Old 03-18-2010, 02:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Well then, do you call BS on this entire Toyota situation?
Actually, he pretty much does LOL.
I of course don't call BS, at least not entirely.

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Toyota techs in general are worthless.
And that is part of the reason why he does call BS, he is a Toyota tech so he obviously has a vested interest in disproving all of these claims. And of course that post will certainly have him retaliating back at ya with a vengeance I'm sure LOL.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
And that is part of the reason why he does call BS, he is a Toyota tech
Seriously!? No ****! I didn't know that.

And of course that post will certainly have him retaliating back at ya with a vengeance I'm sure LOL.
That's fine with me. I'll wait until he's done cashing in all his BG flush tokens.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Has anyone else noticed that as Toyota became larger the recalls became more common?

I can understand being loyal to the company that signs your checks but to say that a possible PCM issue or other unforeseen problem is impossible is shortsighted.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

the problem is I have NOT been in any prius or any toyota car that completely ignores shifting or shutting the car off. as far as sticking gas pedals I can believe some, but as far as losing complete control of a car... its bullshit.

Quick Reply: Toyota tries to cover up problem...again