Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Test Finds 38 Million U.S. Drivers Unfit to Drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I missed this before! Having been all across America, while driving, I would say there are bad drivers all over the country. That said, CA, FL, NJ, NY and PA(eastern mostly) seem to have more(each) than the rest of the country. I've also driven in Europe, but I'll leave that out(along with their wretched drivers-except Germany).

Having put about 1.5 million miles behind me, there's only 1 solution to our bad drivers... Better education and traffic enforcement. We shouldn't have any problem with kids driving... Make them all wait till they're at least 21 and that's settled. 20 or more yrs ago, this wouldn't have been the answer, but we had probably about 1/4th the number of drivers then.

I believe EVERY driver in America should not only pass a license test, but they should all do it in a tractor-trailer! There should be only 1 class of driver license and it should be called a driver license, not a "Class A, B, C, or E." All should be trained the same so they'll have a better understanding of what a given vehicle near them may be doing, or attempting to do... recognizing maneuvers. I also believe all licensing should cost the same.., and it doesn't.

PS for the few trying to defend NJ drivers, not only do many of them really stink up the highways, but if you really insist they're good drivers, it looks like you're saying they're just stupid people... because they proved "least knowledgeable" for the test... A written test won't make anyone a better/worse driver, but knowing what road signs are telling us... that makes a difference.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
******* kentucky drivers are the worst....
Agreed, that extends to Cincinnati, southern Indiana, and honestly most of Tennessee regardless of them scoring better. It's funny the Autobahn has a lower national average of accidents, because they actually teach people how to drive before giving them a somewhat unrestricted highway to drive fast on.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kain01
Agreed, that extends to Cincinnati, southern Indiana, and honestly most of Tennessee regardless of them scoring better. It's funny the Autobahn has a lower national average of accidents, because they actually teach people how to drive before giving them a somewhat unrestricted highway to drive fast on.
There are probably fewer vehicles on the roads of Germany than just FL(or any number of US states)... It stands to reason they'd have fewer crashes. Even if there are more than each single state, there are far more vehicles on the roads of America at any given time than in Germany.

That said, they DO learn better there, and that particular highway is amazingly clean and smooth. It also cost about $1,500.00 for a license.

Quick Reply: Test Finds 38 Million U.S. Drivers Unfit to Drive