Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Motor Trend - Mustang/Camaro/Challenger Showdown

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 08:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Motor Trend - Mustang/Camaro/Challenger Showdown

Sorry I can't give a link, but the July 2011 gave a good comparo review of the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger in both V8 and V6 version. Cliff Notes - Camaro didn't fare too well.

I'm not going to start the Camaro-bashing again, but it's turning out that GM may have a few "issues" with the current Camaro, even though sales are still pretty good. Other magazines/critics are starting to pile on regarding issues with the Camaro. Ironically I was at a local Chevy dealer yesterday checking out the Malibu (great car but needs a better/performance suspension) and spent a little time in the Camaro. For the most part, I have to agree with Motor Trend comments regarding the interior/exterior. When it first came out, I thought the interior was "interesting" but it wasn't practical IMO, especially the gauges on the console and the "tunnel" tach/speedo. As far as outward visibility, let's all be honest, it's not very good. Without a sunroof, it's like being in a dark tunnel.

I guess GM recognizes it has to make a few changes. An upgrade is planned for the interior, and plans leaked out on the new Alpha Camaro indicate the current Camaro is going to be relatively short-lived. IMO, I think GM got too caught up in the Transformer hype and the "retro" trend instead of making a car that focused on "the driver."
Old 06-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The next camaro will fix the problems with the 5 gens!
Old 06-06-2010, 09:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02 wife
The next camaro will fix the problems with the 5 gens!
Hopefully. I am a Camaro fanatic and I was planning on getting one as my new "mid-life" crisis car. When they came out last year and I compared it to the then new Mustang, I was seriously disappointed, even though it was faster/quicker than the Mustang. Now that the Mustang has new engines, if I had to choose between the two (outside my Camaro bias) it's no contest.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What news did you find about the alpha platform? All i heard was the Z28 would be on it... im sure that means the regular camaro too, but did you find any more info besides that?
Old 06-06-2010, 10:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by pitbull14218
What news did you find about the alpha platform? All i heard was the Z28 would be on it... im sure that means the regular camaro too, but did you find any more info besides that?
Nothing more than what's all ready been written about in car mags and on this site. Basically smaller platform, smaller LS-based engine.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Veteran

The Camaro magazine pigpiling continues.

I think a lot of it is rooted in sentiment over GM's Fed-controlled bankruptcy versus Ford taking on 34 billion in private debt more than anything else.

I had one for a week, it's an awesome car in every respect - even inside. GM delievered what people said they wanted which was the showcar they came up with. It's literally the best showcar to production translation probably ever made. It's a steller performer, priced exceptionally well and it's awesome to drive, look at and be seen in. I guess that isn't good enough anymore.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pitbull14218
Last peice of dirt on the Alpha platform I've found is that it will underpin the Cadillac CTS, ATS (or whatever replaces the CTS as the 3 series competitor is called), and the Camaro. The CTS will be on a LWB version of the platform, and the Camaro and ATS will both be smaller than the current Camaro and CTS, while using the information the people at Zeta come up with to lighten their platform, so they should be pretty lightweight. Plus the platform will be built to make a coupe, which Zeta was never meant to do. Neither was Sigma, the current CTS/STS platform. So all deficiency's of Gen V should be addressed with Gen VI. The Z28 is greenlighted for the Gen V, I'd expect a debut at the upcoming auto show year, and for it to go on sale as a 2012 model.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:30 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by kain01
Last peice of dirt on the Alpha platform I've found is that it will underpin the Cadillac CTS, ATS (or whatever replaces the CTS as the 3 series competitor is called), and the Camaro. The CTS will be on a LWB version of the platform, and the Camaro and ATS will both be smaller than the current Camaro and CTS, while using the information the people at Zeta come up with to lighten their platform, so they should be pretty lightweight. Plus the platform will be built to make a coupe, which Zeta was never meant to do. Neither was Sigma, the current CTS/STS platform. So all deficiency's of Gen V should be addressed with Gen VI. The Z28 is greenlighted for the Gen V, I'd expect a debut at the upcoming auto show year, and for it to go on sale as a 2012 model.
Alpha will be ready, at the EARLIEST, for a 2014 model. That's supposed to be the ATS. So IF WE'RE LUCKY, we'll see a new camaro that year too. It's not guaranteed though. Also...the next CTS will stay on Sigma II, which is it's current platform, and is aiming for the 5-series/S-class. The ATS will be the 3-series/C-Class fighter. The XTS will use Zeta I/II depending on version and will go up against the 7-series/S-class as cadillac's first attempt at "the big time". From the pics i've seen of the XTS, it'll be a damn good attempt.

Last edited by Blakbird24; 06-06-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:37 PM
10 Second Club

I have to laugh when I remember that the car rags loved that the Cobra got IRS in '99 and it was the best thing EVAR! Now the shoe is on the other foot and, what a surprise, solid axle seems to garner more subjective "points". Most automotive publications aren't even fit for duty as emergency TP in a West Virgina outhouse much less "objective reporting".

Larry
Old 06-07-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VIPRETR2
I have to laugh when I remember that the car rags loved that the Cobra got IRS in '99 and it was the best thing EVAR! Now the shoe is on the other foot and, what a surprise, solid axle seems to garner more subjective "points". Most automotive publications aren't even fit for duty as emergency TP in a West Virgina outhouse much less "objective reporting".

Larry
I don't really think that's the case in most of the articles that have compared these 3 cars. If anything, the Challenger and Camaro get thumbs up for having IRS while the Mustang continues to be chastised for staying a 21st century "horsecart". The only reason many reviewers aren't subtracting points for the GT's rear suspension is because it somehow still manages to put up the best all around handling numbers. You can hate on a solid axle all you want, but you can't argue with the numbers. But trust in this: if the GT's handling was a number of ticks behind that of the Camaro and/or Challenger........it would be getting penalty points left and right.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
Alpha will be ready, at the EARLIEST, for a 2014 model. That's supposed to be the ATS. So IF WE'RE LUCKY, we'll see a new camaro that year too. It's not guaranteed though. Also...the next CTS will stay on Sigma II, which is it's current platform, and is aiming for the 5-series/S-class. The ATS will be the 3-series/C-Class fighter. The XTS will use Zeta I/II depending on version and will go up against the 7-series/S-class as cadillac's first attempt at "the big time". From the pics i've seen of the XTS, it'll be a damn good attempt.
Actually I read somewhere that best estimates are 2013 new CTS, 2014 ATS, and 2015 for new Camaro.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by TriShield
The Camaro magazine pigpiling continues.

I think a lot of it is rooted in sentiment over GM's Fed-controlled bankruptcy versus Ford taking on 34 billion in private debt more than anything else.

I had one for a week, it's an awesome car in every respect - even inside. GM delievered what people said they wanted which was the showcar they came up with. It's literally the best showcar to production translation probably ever made. It's a steller performer, priced exceptionally well and it's awesome to drive, look at and be seen in. I guess that isn't good enough anymore.
Word.

And the camaros looks are dated....are you kidding me? the mustang has had the same basic design since 2005.

How can the camaros looks become boring quicker or whatever they are trying to say?...how f'ing stupid. Of coarse they wont look as striking as the first time you see them...but that goes for any car...I dont understand this half assed comment/logic about the camaros styling. As for the interior...it is more than adequate for my tastes.

My biggest gripe with the camaro is the visibility...but they would have had to sacrifice some of the cars styling ques to combat this and I think they made the right decision.

Not that I bought the car for this reason, becuase it is absolutely not the reason....but I have never in my life owned or ridden in a car that got even 10% of the attention/looks/compliments as my new camaro.

I **** you not....young, old, male, female...it doesnt matter....the average person who sees this car is just blown away. I literally had a 60 year old fat lady yell at the top of her lungs yesterday walking down the side walk "NICE CAR!"

The amount of attention this car gets is almost annoying. I have literally almost caused accidents because of people staring at my car in traffic. Come to think of it I dont think I have ever even taken the car out to this day and not had someone break their neck looking at it/compliment it....you name it.

They can make the next camaro 3500lbs and have an SRA. Plenty of people will still hate it.

Bottom line...the camaro is a huge success.

As for the performance vs the mustang. Some mags have the stang ahead and some have the camaro ahead. They are trapping very close to each other. I will give the nod to the stang on average....but does that really matter?

Last year when the camaro spanked on the mustang we still had to hear the same ****....you wont ever get any credit from haters so who gives a damn. Drive what you want and go as fast as the money you want to spend. If you want everyone to like your car or be the fastest on the block....you are going to have a hard time in life in regards to your sports car of choice.

Last edited by UltraZLS1; 06-08-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
Word.

And the camaros looks are dated....are you kidding me? the mustang has had the same basic design since 2005.
Looks more dated to me, we've seen the camaro for how many years now with only minor changes from concept to transformers to production to whatever. Just because they just now got to the public doesnt mean we havent seen that body for a long time now.

The mustang on the other hand was refreshed a year ago.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
Looks more dated to me, we've seen the camaro for how many years now with only minor changes from concept to transformers to production to whatever. Just because they just now got to the public doesnt mean we havent seen that body for a long time now.

Yeap! and it got even uglier...
Old 06-09-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's a very good point about the Camaro. Anyone who reads the car magazines, or keeps up to date via the internet with new cars probably saw the 5th gen Camaro 100 times before they ever saw one on the street. The new Camaro was the most talked about car prior to it being on the streets I can ever remember.

As for the Mustang, it does look very similar to the prior body style. The back end does not sit well with a good majority of people that I have talked to, but other than that I think the Mustang looks pretty good. I love the front end, and have gotten to the point where I don't hate the back end as much as I did when I first saw it.

Regardless, whether one likes the appearance of a car or not, that opinion is purely subjective. The appearance part of any review can be agreed with or disagreed with, but can't really be proven one way or another.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Veteran

It still looks virtually the same as it has inside and out since 2005, because it's the same car underneath that debuted in 2005 with the same shape and hardpoints.

Most of the public hasn't been following the Camaro's gestation online for years. Even so when I see a stock one on the road it's a jaw-dropper and stands out from everything else. Every Mustang looks just like another Mustang and with the refresh it looks like it has a Down's.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The Mustang doesn't have that aggressive stance that the Camaro does, but that isn't anything new in the grand scheme of things. The SN95 Mustangs were downright mellow compared to the 4th gen F-bod's, and they still sold well. And as far as rear ends go....let's face it: neither GM nor Ford did anything satisfying with the rears of their 2010 ponies.

Let's hope they both do a better job out back for the next redesigns.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:46 PM
***Repost Police***

I think it looks pretty aggressive...
Old 06-09-2010, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they even managed to make the v6 look aggressive with the right options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAX550biM7c
Old 06-09-2010, 11:31 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
The Mustang doesn't have that aggressive stance that the Camaro does, but that isn't anything new in the grand scheme of things. The SN95 Mustangs were downright mellow compared to the 4th gen F-bod's, and they still sold well. And as far as rear ends go....let's face it: neither GM nor Ford did anything satisfying with the rears of their 2010 ponies.

Let's hope they both do a better job out back for the next redesigns.
Everyone likes to hate the 2010+ Mustang rear, but I like it. The 05-09 rear didn't fit the rest of the car IMO. The camaro rear looks like an afterthought and is an embarrassment as far as I'm concerned.

I for one think the 2010+ Mustang rear is better just for this reason alone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEHaM...eature=related

Quick Reply: Motor Trend - Mustang/Camaro/Challenger Showdown