Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

LS5 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where are y'all getting a ls7 5th gen from? All I've heard gm releasing in the LSA...

And as far as Gen V motors, to think that GM would spend hundreds of millions designing an all new motor in the times we live in and would not include DI from the start is smoking crack.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
It doesn't?
I thought that underneath the hood there was flat tubing/runners going forward and around from that NACA duct scoop going right into the airbox just like on a WS6 (though obviously far less useful/efficient than a WS6's 'straight shot' ram air)?
Minimal power gains (if any) no doubt but I do believe on a factory 4th gen SS hood that air from the scoop does feed into the airbox.
An LT1 SS (and WS6 for that matter) are true, functional ram air; an LS1 SS/WS6 are just for looks. The air does not feed the airbox. However, even though the LT1's are functional, you do not see meaningful gains until 100+mph and even then it isn't much. There's a thread around here somewhere, I believe in the Advanced Tech section, about the real gains from ram air. I don't think it was even 10 hp by like 100mph. That means that good driving can make up for it, as well as plenty of other things not negating it. If you debaffle it, then it becomes more of a straight shot nad might make more of a difference (still speaking of LT1s).
Old 10-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Teching In

I don't know about the LS1 SS's, never had a chance to examine them, but my LS1 WS6 ram air does feed the airbox. I don't know that it makes an appreciable gain in power (an LS1 is an LS1), but the air flowing into the scoops is ducted to the airbox.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by nate0031
I don't know about the LS1 SS's, never had a chance to examine them, but my LS1 WS6 ram air does feed the airbox. I don't know that it makes an appreciable gain in power (an LS1 is an LS1), but the air flowing into the scoops is ducted to the airbox.
Yeah I think there is a misunderstanding here. The LS1 SS/WS6 BOTH have setups that DO feed the airbox. The WS6 has a straight through design, where the air that enters the nostrils passes straight into the airbox opening. The SS has reroute ducts that circle the air back to the front of the airbox. So, the simple answer is YES, both those cars do have functional "Ram Air". I will admit though, it's unlikely that there's really even any drop in negative pressure at the airbox thanks to these setups...more than likely they are about equivalent to a standard CAI (cone filter) setup.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by skorpion317
There are plenty of reasons to name the "top dog" Camaro a Z/28. They were the top model Camaro for more years than the SS. The 1st gen Z/28 and SS had completely different missions - the SS was more a street car, while the Z/28 was a harder-edged "race car" for the street. The most powerful SS396 only ran a tenth or two quicker in the 1/4 mile than the Z/28, and the Z/28 would absolutely slaughter the SS396 on a road course. When they decided to use the SS name on the 4th gens, it was only because it was a recognized name from the brand's past, not because it was more special than the Z/28. Also, the Corvette uses "Z" designations for its top-level models (Z51, Z06, ZR1).

And lastly, any Chevy can be an SS. Only a Camaro can be a Z/28.
yeppers! i'm glad they used z/28. ZL-1 should be used for an 11 second stock camaro that is naturally aspirated.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:17 PM
***Repost Police***

Z/28 used to mean a lightened race car with a high-revving motor... sounds like the perfect name for a stripper LS5-powered car.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Teching In

hey sorry to jump into it from the cuts but i just moved 2 sanjose ca i use to live in moreno valley ca and i dont know a soul here thats into cars does anyone know if theres a race track over here
Old 10-05-2010, 02:37 PM
***Repost Police***

I'm 137% sure there is a more appropriate part of the forum to post that question in. Unless you think that is Automotive News?
Old 10-05-2010, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
Yeah I think there is a misunderstanding here. The LS1 SS/WS6 BOTH have setups that DO feed the airbox. The WS6 has a straight through design, where the air that enters the nostrils passes straight into the airbox opening. The SS has reroute ducts that circle the air back to the front of the airbox. So, the simple answer is YES, both those cars do have functional "Ram Air". I will admit though, it's unlikely that there's really even any drop in negative pressure at the airbox thanks to these setups...more than likely they are about equivalent to a standard CAI (cone filter) setup.
This is the 2nd time this week I've had to correct misconception about LS1's having a true ram air setup.

LT1= true ram air
LS1= fake ram air (for marketing purposes)

Don't believe me? here's some pics of an LT1 WS6 vs LS1 WS6 intake systems:
LT1

LS1

Care to explain how the air coming in from the nostrils breaks through the lid into the air intake tract? It can't and it doesn't. You can obviously see where the LT1 gets its air from, the hood nostrils.

Here is my post from the other day about the LS1 vs LT1 functional ram air hoods, with pics as well:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/13948365-post24.html

EVERY LS1, no matter if it's a Camaro, Trans Am, Formula, Firehawk, SS, WS6, Z28, whatever, breathes from below.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:29 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance
Advertisers would have you believe that factory ram air equipped vehicles (WS6, SS, Firehawk) produce more power because of their ram air hoods. The truth is that these factory designs are horribly ineffcient, full of baffles that obstruct air flow and not physically even sealed to the air box. In addition, the scoop designs sit far too low on the hood on the car. The hood scoop equipped vehicles have been proven to be no faster at the track!
http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...products_id=28

That's the kit for LS1 cars, and they don't have a kit for the LT1 Ram Air cars... I think that tells you all you really need to know.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WSsick
<snip>

Care to explain how the air coming in from the nostrils breaks through the lid into the air intake tract? It can't and it doesn't. You can obviously see where the LT1 gets its air from, the hood nostrils.
<snip>
easy, the nostrils feed air into the bottom of the box. not that hard. the WS6 has a taller box to help this. its a true ram air.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Restricted User

Care to explain how the air coming in from the nostrils breaks through the lid into the air intake tract?
Absolutely. The air passes through the opening highlighted in the picture below.

a47u61.jpg?t=1286326239

I do happen to have owned these cars and can assure you that air does pass from outside, through the hood, and into the airbox. There is very little space between the radiator and support shroud for air to pass into the airbox from underneath...so most of it actually gets into the airbox through the front opening.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

I find it very hard to believe that is anything close to efficient. I have never thought that it could draw any air in there, it just kind of floats around and might getting sucked in. Definitely not forced in like a true ram air.

Irunelevens' post sums it up pretty well.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Restricted User

I find it very hard to believe that is anything close to efficient. I have never thought that it could draw any air in there, it just kind of floats around and might getting sucked in. Definitely not forced in like a true ram air.

Irunelevens' post sums it up pretty well.
The phrase "true ram air" is pretty silly since ram air has been nothing but a gimmick since it was invented decades ago.

I guarantee you that the LT1 "ram air" offers no more gain than the LS1 "ram air"...which is to say, they both offer NONE. Both cars get their air through the hood one way or another...but as mentioned before, it's probably about the same as using a cone filter CAI instead of a closed factory airbox.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:21 PM
12 Second Club

Oh, don't get me wrong, I know that it doesn't gain much (like a hp or 2 by 100mph). I just think that the LT1 style is a MUCH more efficient design.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Launching!

Oh, don't get me wrong, I know that it doesn't gain much (like a hp or 2 by 100mph). I just think that the LT1 style is a MUCH more efficient design.
1 or 2hp by 100mph is "MUCH more efficient"?
Old 10-07-2010, 11:20 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by vtirocz
1 or 2hp by 100mph is "MUCH more efficient"?
I'll find the thread sometime soon about the real effects of ram air. I think I am being generous with 1 or 2 hp. I'm sorry though, if you have to go 100mph for 1 hp, it is not efficient.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Veteran

I'll find the thread sometime soon about the real effects of ram air. I think I am being generous with 1 or 2 hp. I'm sorry though, if you have to go 100mph for 1 hp, it is not efficient.
if its the thread im thinking. the consensus was that for a 4th gen camaro, it would produce a ram air effect as defined at 330mph. the ws6 a lot sooner.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hoping to bring back this thread. Any news on this engine?
Old 07-05-2011, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the LS5 with a turbo should be a LS8. Then in a couple years bring out a LS10 that's a V10 for the ZR1

Quick Reply: LS5 Engine