Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GM needs the step up their full size truck game!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GM needs the step up their full size truck game!

i love them new chevy full trucks but ford has them beat in the power train department!

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ook/index.html
Old 09-30-2010, 11:19 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 96RamAirTA
i love them new chevy full trucks but ford has them beat in the power train department!

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ook/index.html
You're talking about Ford's brand new motors vs. GM's 5-year-old motors. Even then it's debatable which is better. GM has a brand new line of motors launching over the next couple of years...which I guess you could call "stepping up their game".
Old 09-30-2010, 11:31 AM
10 Second Club

Talking

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
which I guess you could call "stepping up their game".
Or as the title says, "needs the step up their game" LOL.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Gm needs to get the 4.5 Duramax in the 1/2 tons. Say buh bye ford.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lets not forget that the Ford numbers that beat the Chevy numbers were released after the Chevy numbers as a reflash.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Yes its way past time for an all new look and powertrains. The current trucks dont look no different than the 99 silverado when it cam out. The need a drastic changel like when introduced the 2004 f 150. Even dodge steped up their game in 09. The current dodge and ford truck especially blow gm out of the water. Gm its time for a clean sheet of paper design.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by redsap05
Yes its way past time for an all new look and powertrains. The current trucks dont look no different than the 99 silverado when it cam out. The need a drastic changel like when introduced the 2004 f 150. Even dodge steped up their game in 09. The current dodge and ford truck especially blow gm out of the water. Gm its time for a clean sheet of paper design.
I just don't see where this "blows GM out of the water" comes from. First of all, Dodge isn't really even close, so that's just BS. But even the brand-new-big-deal motors from Ford are just barely edging out the now 4-year-old GM motors.

I think maybe GM fans have gotten a little too comfortable being in the lead all these years. There are always going to be challengers, and in a segment as contested as the full-size truck segment, you can't expect to hold a lead for very long.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a 2008 GMC Sierra Crewcab with the 5.3. I like my truck, but the 5.3 is old as dinosaurs. I don't care that their good engines. GM keep their engines too long before replacing them. IMO, GM lacks in improving things. Take for instance, their interiors on all vehicles suck. GM strong point is their engines, but they hold onto them too long. Back to the interiors, every other car brand I've owned, their interiors are better than GM
Old 10-04-2010, 01:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

How can you hold onto a strong suit too long?
Old 10-04-2010, 01:29 AM
***Repost Police***

It's called "resting on your laurels." Just because something works doesn't mean you can't make it better.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
It's called "resting on your laurels." Just because something works doesn't mean you can't make it better.
You can make anything better. Just because something works doesn't mean you can't move on to new and better things. They have a new lineup of engines coming. But GM isn't the GM we used to know. I've always been a GM man, but the people up top in GM seemed to be lost. Their marketing sucks *****. When the G8 came out, I didn't see one commercial. The only commercial I have ever seen of the new Camaro was with other cars, never a commercial with just the Camaro itself. I don't see GM's interior ever getting better either. The only brand with decent interior is the Caddy and that's not too good for the price they want for them. What's sad is that I think Ford is doing better than GM all around. And I dislike Ford. I'll take a 2011 GT over a 2010 Camaro anyday. The new Camaro has a great engine, but that's it.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah but you can never please everyone. They are in a constant hp/torque war with the 2 dr cars, pickups, diesel engines etc. etc. That is marketing also. Its about who can produce one ******* number determines who is the top dog that year. Playing the hp game is quite silly IMO. But thats what it takes to sell, so they have no choice. GM will produce a new engine, then Ford, then Dodge, and around and around we go. Who cares really. I want a car that does what I want/need, no more and no less. My Hyundai DD does that perfectly. My wife's SUV does that perfectly, and my SS holds down the garage perfectly. I wont be in the new car market for a long time
Old 10-04-2010, 07:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Yeah but you can never please everyone. They are in a constant hp/torque war with the 2 dr cars, pickups, diesel engines etc. etc. That is marketing also. Its about who can produce one ******* number determines who is the top dog that year. Playing the hp game is quite silly IMO. But thats what it takes to sell, so they have no choice. GM will produce a new engine, then Ford, then Dodge, and around and around we go. Who cares really. I want a car that does what I want/need, no more and no less. My Hyundai DD does that perfectly. My wife's SUV does that perfectly, and my SS holds down the garage perfectly. I wont be in the new car market for a long time
Is that picture of your Camaros taken at the end of Stoner?
Old 10-04-2010, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes thats the Stoner boat launch.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the new ford trucks are ugly. I'll take a Sierra all day over the ford, plenty of "drive-train" for me. Sorry ford boys.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by IZRED
I have a 2008 GMC Sierra Crewcab with the 5.3. I like my truck, but the 5.3 is old as dinosaurs. I don't care that their good engines. GM keep their engines too long before replacing them. IMO, GM lacks in improving things. Take for instance, their interiors on all vehicles suck. GM strong point is their engines, but they hold onto them too long. Back to the interiors, every other car brand I've owned, their interiors are better than GM
Interior quality is subjective, true. But you are definitely in the minority now when it comes to your opinion on GM interiors. Reviewers have repeatedly praised GM for having the best truck interiors in the business with the GMT900 generation. The new Fords may contest that status, but again, that's what is supposed to happen when you compare a brand new truck to a 4-year-old truck.

Cadillac has also earned endless accolades for it's second gen CTS and STS interiors...they are at the very least the equal of their competition, even standing above in many cases. If you have any doubt as to the truth of this, go to a cadillac dealer and check out the 2010-11 STS Platinum. That car will make a Bentley owner feel right at home.

The now 3-year-old Malibu is still taking top honors in it's class for interior. Even brand new designs like the Fusion still lack in comparison.

It's one thing to dislike the design or ergonomics of an interior personally...but to try and say that GM has the WORST interiors in the business just shows that you haven't driven very many new GM vehicles in the past five years.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

If you are talking Diesels lets compare
Dmax has more power and gets better mileage. Plus since 00 with minor changes its bascially the same motor. Ford has had 4 different diesel motors since 02. OUCH. 6.0 and 6.4-belong in a dumpster.

The Ford does have a nice interior and the new Powerstroke is very quiet. The transmission is stronger and shifts better than the Allison.

Tough call-Ill take the Dmax since reliablity of the Fords in the last couple of years has been iffy.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
The Ford does have a nice interior and the new Powerstroke is very quiet. The transmission is stronger and shifts better than the Allison.
I can definitely see the comment about smoother shifting, but I think the strength comment may be stretching it a bit...it's kinda hard to believe that Ford designed a transmission for a pickup truck that is stronger than one designed for a 50+ ton tracked armored vehicle.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:35 PM
TECH Regular

i thinks its cool that the new eco boost v6 tows 11,300lbs.... itsnt that more than a base v8 from gm?
Old 10-04-2010, 11:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
Interior quality is subjective, true. But you are definitely in the minority now when it comes to your opinion on GM interiors. Reviewers have repeatedly praised GM for having the best truck interiors in the business with the GMT900 generation. The new Fords may contest that status, but again, that's what is supposed to happen when you compare a brand new truck to a 4-year-old truck.

Cadillac has also earned endless accolades for it's second gen CTS and STS interiors...they are at the very least the equal of their competition, even standing above in many cases. If you have any doubt as to the truth of this, go to a cadillac dealer and check out the 2010-11 STS Platinum. That car will make a Bentley owner feel right at home.

The now 3-year-old Malibu is still taking top honors in it's class for interior. Even brand new designs like the Fusion still lack in comparison.

It's one thing to dislike the design or ergonomics of an interior personally...but to try and say that GM has the WORST interiors in the business just shows that you haven't driven very many new GM vehicles in the past five years.
I've had to bring my 2008 GMC Sierra in numerous times for simple and minor interior problems. I know all cars will have a lemon or 2, but when you have to bring in a new vehicle numerous times right after the purchase, that's not good. GMC is supposed to be the high end truck of the Silverado. It surely doesn't seem like it to me.

Quick Reply: GM needs the step up their full size truck game!